PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The "I'm nervous about Seattle" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm far more concerned than I was about the Colts game. But after the way they played a Gimpy Rodgers today they are less scary this week than they were last week. Their defense is still tough but that offense is mortal
Luckily, offense wins championships. ;-)

I understand the 'nervousness', however, I suggest enjoying the nervousness. Win or lose this is an awesome treat! being able to anticipate then eventually watch 'the team' in the SB is what being a Patriot fan is all about. To quote Wide World Sports, "the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat", and the nervousness that goes with it, is what makes this whole thing worth doing (being a fan).

Consider this, a Raiders fan or a Bucs fan or a Browns fan or a Bills fan (speaking of these teams' recent history) rarely if ever have to be nervous.

jeez...man up on the thread title

Watching them play the Packers today I was thinking, "Man, we can beat these guys."
Look at the box score. They mostly stopped Rodgers, particularly when you recall they gave him 5 "free" possessions from turnovers.

Two outs, bottom of the 9th, up one run, bases loaded. Do you want the ball hit to you?

Do you want to be the guy up at bat? The pitcher?

Do you want to be Adam Vinatieri lining up for that kick against St. Louis? or Carolina? not AFTER the kick, but lining up for it.

If the answer is "no" to any of these questions, you're missing out on your own damned life.

Press man to man on the outside. Collins shadows Wilson. 8 in the box consistently and we should be able to shut them down. If the offense can score 17-20, we bring the Lombardi home.

Look at the box score. They mostly stopped Rodgers, particularly when you recall they gave him 5 "free" possessions from turnovers.

yeah, and Cobain only did a little heroin...jeezus krist kid, just admit you lucked out in all time fashion

Press man to man on the outside. Collins shadows Wilson. 8 in the box consistently and we should be able to shut them down. If the offense can score 17-20, we bring the Lombardi home.

This is exactly the way I feel as well.

I'm generally pretty nervous about this kind of stuff and it hasn't sunk in yet. I like our chances this time.

yeah, and Cobain only did a little heroin...jeezus krist kid, just admit you lucked out in all time fashion
Green Bay - 178 passing yards, 4.9 yards/pass, 3 of 14 on 3rd down, 2 INT. And that's with 5 (FIVE) "free" possessions from turnovers. Is New England hat much better than Green Bay? Without 5 freebies?

This is exactly the way I feel as well.

I'm generally pretty nervous about this kind of stuff and it hasn't sunk in yet. I like our chances this time.

I'm honestly feeling a lot less anxious this time around than I was about 42 or 46..

With 42, there was the pressure associated with going 19-0, as well as all the concerns over Brady's ankle...Although I picked the Pats to win, I had a sinking feeling that something would go horribly wrong.

With 46, the Giants became this sort of Boogie Man that I felt like the Pats HAD to beat, or else it would besmirch their reputation forever. Compounding that anxiety was the status of Gronk's ankle and the endless media hype. The memory of 42 was vivid in my mind and I honestly felt more anxiety going into it than I did going into our previous SB, though I will say that 46 was relatively less painful than 42.

With this upcoming SB, I'm not buying into the media hype. Sure, it's the biggest game of the season, but the last 2 SB losses have taught me how to temper my anxiety. A blowout nowithstanding, there's gonna be no shame on my end if we lose (The prospect of losing to Russell Wilson pains me a lot less than the prospect of losing to the lesser Manning). I'll be tremendously disappointed certainly, but the narrative as well as the mindet I have with this game strike me as different than the narrative/mindset that precluded the previous two SBs.

Green Bay - 178 passing yards, 4.9 yards/pass, 3 of 14 on 3rd down, 2 INT. And that's with 5 (FIVE) "free" possessions from turnovers. Is New England that much better than Green Bay? Without 5 freebies?
My argument is that, ironically, GB may have been the luckier team. Are they even in the game without the freebies?

I'm honestly feeling a lot less anxious this time around than I was about 42 or 46..

With 42, there was the pressure associated with going 19-0, as well as all the concerns over Brady's ankle...Although I picked the Pats to win, I had a sinking feeling that something would go horribly wrong.

With 46, the Giants became this sort of Boogie Man that I felt like the Pats HAD to beat, or else it would besmirch their reputation forever. Compounding that anxiety was the status of Gronk's ankle and the endless media hype. The memory of 42 was vivid in my mind and I honestly felt more anxiety going into it than I did going into our previous SB, though I will say that 46 was relatively less painful than 42.

With this upcoming SB, I'm not buying into the media hype. Sure, it's the biggest game of the season, but the last 2 SB losses have taught me how to temper my anxiety. A blowout nowithstanding, there's gonna be no shame on my end if we lose (The prospect of losing to Russell Wilson pains me a lot less than the prospect of losing to the lesser Manning). I'll be tremendously disappointed certainly, but the narrative as well as the mindet I have with this game strike me as different than the narrative/mindset that precluded the previous two SBs.

Yes, I think you hit both of the past 2 situations right on the head.

Down the stretch that 2007 season was smothering, week after week. I think the pressure and injuries caught up to them, as well as the obvious ******** "helmet catch."

I didn't feel that much better for SB46, like you said. I think there was a fear there about losing twice.

This time around it just seems different. I don't know. I think things set up well by drawing the #6 and #4 seeds to get there, and then seeing SEA come back this afternoon. Those are the things that we've been missing that are often needed for a championship run--luck! ;)

GB is soft. We arent.

Not only this, but they did not play 60 minute football or do their job.

Case in point: Taking a knee prematurely after an interception, and ignoring your blocking assignment in order to try and be a hero on the onside kick are the first two plays that come to mind...

I doubt a Belichick-coached team has multiple brain farts like this in two weeks.

up two scores with five minutes to go, kid? with your QB like 15 for 30? boneheaded play by that TE, Jordy Nelson wa1s THERE for that ball, Bostic only had to do his job...he choked and the Seahawks lucked out...do the goddamned math on recovered onsides kicks, moron

My argument is that, ironically, GB may have been the luckier team. Are they even in the game without the freebies?

@Mflint , what do you feel are the Seahawks' weaknesses on defense? Do you like Killer Kam covering TEs?

Last edited:

A poster said he watched the game and came away thinking "we can beat these guys(Seattle)". Your response is "look at the box score". Am I missing intended sarcasm or did you actually just imply they're not beatable "just look at box score'?
I watched a very good but imperfect Seattle team beat a very good but imperfect Green Bay team. I watched a Seahawks team show some serious mettle to come away with a win. I also watched a Seattle team show they are fallible and beatable. But alas, unfortunately I then read the frightening 'box score' and I've given up almost all hope. :rolleyes:

And to take it one step further, the ability to score that 2 point conversion (and win the coin toss) were both very big as well.

They were getting so dominated that some of their fans left the game and missed the end. It's all part of the entire 60 min game, but I don't believe that Green Bay was "lucky," having dominated the game for almost 55 minutes.

LOL at Deion Sanders early take, essentially...(to paraphrase)

"The Seahawk WRs and TEs did a great job on them boys of Carolina and Green Bay. Now you get to play MEN. Revis, Browner, McCourty. Good luck."

And he's right. It should be a strength v. weakness situation that NE can limit. Or at least win in a man on man situation and dedicate another body in the box to shut down Lynch, the real strength of their offense. Talent-wise, Lynch is the only guy starting for SEA that absolutely starts over his NE counterpart. Maybe Unger on OL but all things considered 9 or 10/11 ain't bad. And defense...anyone for sure you'd take SEA over NE? Maybe safeties? NE has won at points on coaching over talent. Not the case anymore...those things are coming together over the past year or two. There isn't a serious advantage that Seattle has if you look at it objectively. There's some competitive matchups that could swing the game, but if it's 43-8...Seattle gonna have 8.

Part of me wishes you went for the low blow and made a quip about GB being lucky to even BE in the NFCCG after the Bryant TD kerfuffle . Then again, that's an entirely different can of worms that would be opened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe