PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The hunt is on

Revman

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
So, who is it that the Patriots are targeting in top 10? Andre Smith-Brian Orakpo-B.J.Raji? My guess is that they are targeting a tier value, rather than one specific player.

I think they are targeting an OT! And I think specifically Andre Smith, maybe Oher of Ole Miss.

I'm beginning to think that all the weird stuff that Smith was doing earlier was because BB got to his agent. Maybe they had a gentlemen's agreement.

First Smith fires his previous agent, second he starts to climb back up the chart, third BB is looking to trade up into the top ten. It's like an X-Files episode only dealing with football instead of aliens, starring BB as Mulder and Caserio as Scully

I think the fallback plan if Smith and Oher are gone is Ayers of Tenn or Butler of Uconn.

No need for fall back - no need to trade until guy they want is there...

No need for fall back - no need to trade until guy they want is there...

Correct, I meant fall back as in stay at #23 and take Ayers or Butler. My bad, blood!

I have to think it's OT too. André too talented to pass up. He might be out of control - or he might be a 10-year anchor - hard to tell right now.

Tyson Jackson or Curry

Wish it was. Kinda hoping they go all out on "D", but top 10 smells like OT (no need to remind me where they got Mayo... just saying value at OT in that spot).

Wish it was. Kinda hoping they go all out on "D", but top 10 smells like OT (no need to remind me where they got Mayo... just saying value at OT in that spot).

The top ten is where the OT's are. If you want a good one, you have to go thee to get one.

So, who is it that the Patriots are targeting in top 10? Andre Smith-Brian Orakpo-B.J.Raji? My guess is that they are targeting a tier value, rather than one specific player.

My gut tells me the Pats would be content with one of several, KNOWING that one will definitely slide to the trade-up slot. I think BB would lean toward a large body (OT, DL), assuming he values one that high. But I'd have no problem w/ Jenkins or Crabtree, as there is room at the inn for their talent.

With all those picks, I completely agree with the "Hunt" title.

I think that barring this rumored move up, the 2nd round will be more exciting than the first. As much as people alk of a "star" falling to 8,9, or 10... there is a distinct possibility of an excellent player being available at #34.

Hunting will be just as good in round two (again, if no trade using one of theose 2s).

My gut tells me the Pats would be content with one of several, KNOWING that one will definitely slide to the trade-up slot. I think BB would lean toward a large body (OT, DL), assuming he values one that high. But I'd have no problem w/ Jenkins or Crabtree, as there is room at the inn for their talent.

I would agree with this. I would assume that the Patriots would consider the following players almost certainly worth the #8-10 pick:

OT(3): Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe, Andre Smith
DT(1): BJ Raji
LB(1): Aaron Curry

In addition, I would assume that the Pats would consider the following players possibly worth the #8-10 pick:

DE(1): Tyson Jackson
WR(1): Michael Crabtree
CB(1): Malcolm Jenkins

That makes 8 players. Brian Orapko might even be a 9th. And Mark Sanchez would have trade value if he fell to the Pats.

So assuming Matt Stafford goes #1, there is virtually no way the Pats can't get adequate value out of the 8-10 range. If Curry goes top 5 then Monroe or Andre Smith may slide to 8. If the OT's and QB's go early then Raji and Curry may be available. And Malcolm Jenkins and Michael Crabtree will almost certainly be available as a fallback option.

I think that BB would give preference to Curry or an OL/DL, with Jenkins as a backup option. But that's just my guess.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back