PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Fellowship of the Miserable: How Boston Sportswriters Got So Awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read that earlier today. Extremely interesting piece, in my opinion. Lots of food for thought there.

Pretty good takedown of the dwindling relevance of the newspaper's sports sections in this city.

It's a pretty withering critique of the traditional lack of willingness to actually report stuff about the athletes the writers are face to face with in the locker room during the season.

Pretty good takedown of the dwindling relevance of the newspaper's sports sections in this city.

It's a pretty withering critique of the traditional lack of willingness to actually report stuff about the athletes the writers are face to face with in the locker room during the season.

They're not in an enviable position. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to kiss up to some of these athletes for a living. Bill Belichick is no picnic either.

Paul Perillo of Patriots Football Weekly is a pretty miserable person as far as sportswriter guys go.

They're not in an enviable position. I can't imagine what it must be like to have to kiss up to some of these athletes for a living. Bill Belichick is no picnic either.

Isn't that the truth.

If you choose to be a jock sniffer for a living, it kind of goes with the job. Easy solution to that problem.

Paul Perillo of Patriots Football Weekly is a pretty miserable person as far as sportswriter guys go.
I wouldn't describe his PFW colleague Andy Hart as lollipops and valentines, either.

I wouldn't describe his PFW colleague Andy Hart as lollipops and valentines, either.

Here's the dealio on the both of 'em -

Portly Paul Perillo - A 42 year old Northeastern Alum who was quite the pitcher there back in tha day. After not getting tha call to tha bigs, he hit the Miller Light a-la Walter Matthau in Bad New Bears. Before he knew it, he was passed out on an elementary school field's pitcher's mound with a dozen beer cans strewn about, after lobbing batting practice to a little league team.
Fast forward a beer belly decade later and Perillo is knocking on the door to a steady gig at WEEI. Oh, how visions of radio show host sugarplums danced in his head. Trouble was, he comes across too vanilla. He doesn't grab your ear like blowhard Pete Sheppard does. Perillo was too agreeable, which in the topsy-turvy world of Boston Sportsradio, is actually a bad thing.
So he's forced to drive to Gillette for his gig with Patriots Football Weekly, which has a circulation of 6 or something.
Once, when broached with the subject of getting picked up again by WEEI, Perillo jumped on the mike and gleefully proclaimed,"I'd be outta here so fast, you'd just see a cloud of smoke and tire skid marks."
It's hilarious to listen to him on In Progress. He always acts like he thinks he's on some PERPETUAL SECRET AUDITION by the powers that be at WEEI. ehhh haa haa. I mean, it's so obvious how he prefaces and suffixes his remarks. If you're aware of it, you can definitely hear it.

Now, THAT'S bitter. heh heh heh.

And as for Andy Hart ? -
Ahh gez, where do you start? Hmm... how's about at the beginning. Andy has this grade school personality. It's a residual effect of his growing up in some sort of abject poverty or something. lol. Andy has that 7 year old boy mentality of "Hey! If all the kids get cookies after recess, my mother says for me to make sure I get one too! Yeah, so where is it?!"
Nobody can have anything without little Andy having it too.
Roll the clocks forward some years and you'll see Andy bully his way through Tufts University. Yeah, he prolly chose it cuz he liked how it sounds "tough".

I will say one thing the guy has going for himself -
He got to where he is by knowing NEXT TO NOTHING! ehhh haaa haaa. I suspect that's the result of an absentee father or one who was the extreme version of "the strong & silent" type. Andy's knowledge base is miniscule. Yes, but he defends that personal deficiency by scaring everybody and talking really fast. It sounds like a machine gun dog bark "Ebbb bebbbb beb bebbb bebbb!"
After he barrages you with his aggressive defensive act, well, you're just worn out to call him on his ignorance anymore. See how that works for Andy?
All in all, a pretty effective countermeasure. He does know how to take care of himself & is a really good taskmaster. If you give Andy something to do, by-golly, he'll git err done.
Problem is, that's all the knowledge he'll absorb, the bare minimum. He didn't come outta Tufts with any residual social skills or cultural development. All Andy paid attention to was the basic data which was going to be asked of him during exams.

And that's why you got a guy today who lives in a secluded compound in the deep woods of Massachusetts & thinks it's okay to actually like Katy Perry's music.

... and then you got Paul Perrillo actually insulting Led Zeppelin on the air.
Now... THAT'S bitter. lol.

What a freaking pair. Ya want me to do Scalavino & Kirsch? lol.

Regards,
Pewsterbaby a.k.a. Brooklyn Matt

That was a bit harsh on Perillo. He's more insightful than many in my opinion.

That article was correct in that Bedard and Speier routinely bring more to the table content-wise than anyone else in the Boston media.

Reiss is nice and agreeable but really not that insightful.

Curran on the radio usually says something I hadn't thought of.

But the best two in print are Bedard and Speier...and Jackie Mac is probably the best columnist in town.

Still, great article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back