PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The FA, "sign the beast" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Santonio Holmes

Worst. Idea. Ever.

The Steelers wouldn't unload a guy who probably should have been the SB MVP for a 5th round pick if he wasn't a complete expletive. Look at some of the turds they've kept around.

Re: Really, is there any chance of Steve Smith coming here?

He has definitely got something left in the tank with a good QB. He made Talib look like a school girl for some of that game.

However he has some big negatives. He punched a teammate in the face pretty much ruining his career. Like mentioned, he is a pretty weird guy.

I'll let the upper brass do their homework on this one.

Twice actually. And anyone who's followed Smith closely wouldn't bat an eyelash over either one of those incidents that took place 6 years ago. It's such a non-issue and never even came close to ruining his career. The only people who say that are people who don't know much about him and has only heard of him due to that incident. He's fiery and explosive and when he was younger, much younger, it exploded physically at times(though if you ask the other, he would tell you he was in the wrong, not Smith).

But he's also one of the best teammates you could ask for and is a no-nonsense player who backs up his talk on the field. Really. He's also heavily involved with his wife in community service doing a lot of volunteer work and coaches youth soccer. He's a far cry from a mental headcase, though he does love to act like one and knows how to get into defender's heads. Heck, I see that as one of his biggest advantages. He takes his biggest negative, that of coming across like a thug with a big mouth, and knows where to apply it. He's one of the few Panthers players I know that approaches the game, plays and practices like a Patriot. He's a pro's pro, and very smart at what he does.

Total head case, but, man, what a player. Sign the beast!

For Christ sake, NO

I know he might not be popular around here with his baggage and all but I for one think he's a better WR than his recent production.
That should tell you all you need to know.

qdZ6a.jpg

Don't shoot the messenger guys we wouln't be breaking the bank for him.

So, a selfish under-performing headcase is acceptable if he comes cheap? :confused:

You see. When you see that "source" says something bad about the Jets lockerroom. You can in many cases just replace "source" with Holmes. He is also the very source of many of the problems.

No Thanks. :bricks:

messenger.jpg

I wouldn't break my piggy bank for him. It would be subtraction by addition.

Guy is super clutch, which would be just what this team needs. Unfortunately, he has a toxic attitude. No thanks.

For all the "headcase" comments, people forget we had Randy Moss, and Smith doesn't even have a finger nail of the issues Randy had. Let alone Ochocinco. The biggest of all being not needing to be motivated to run routes when he doesn't feel like it or just being a complete **** to people.

Steve Smith adds to mystery about future

“Here’s all I have to say about it,” the team’s all-time leading receiver said. “I am working out and doing all the things as I am a Carolina Panther. That’s where I am. And I’ll continue to move forward until I am told otherwise.”

Asked if he could see himself playing for another organization in 2014, Smith was equally evasive.

“It’s a business and I understand that, and ultimately decisions aren’t up to me,” the 13-year veteran said. “I’m a player. At the end of the day, if a team decides to move on, I have to either accept that or I go sit at home and cry about it. So we’ll see.”

“Like every offseason they are making moves and making decisions that are going to be, moving forward, for the betterment of the team,” Smith said “Those decisions and those conversations, I don’t know all of them. I’m not in the meeting rooms. But we talked about some things. And what we talked about it is what we talked about.”

Smith could have ended all speculation and said Gettleman assured him he would be on the Carolina roster in 2013.

He didn’t.

That leads me to believe there’s a better than 50 percent chance that Smith won’t be back at Carolina. Then again, Smith likes to play head games with the media, so maybe this is one of those times.

Either way, the mystery continues.
Steve Smith adds to mystery about future - Carolina Panthers Blog - ESPN

It's as if he was in the Pats system, BB-trained, his entire career.

If Randy Moss thought and talked like that, during his contract year, he might have still been a Patriot.

That guy is a nasty mental case. I don't care how much of a "gamer" he is. He wouldn't fit here.

Yeah, I agree, this idea of Aqib Talib being a Patriot is a pipedream.

Re: Julius Peppers

Can I get a link to where Schefter says Peppers will be cut? He didnt tweet that.

Isn't he due to make something like $18m this year? If so, they shouldn't waste their time trying to trade that contract. Even Al Davis wouldn't have taken that on if he was still alive.

If we can re-sign Edelman, he would be a perfect outside receiver for this team, but only at a cheap price because of his age and health.

If we can re-sign Edelman, he would be a perfect outside receiver for this team, but only at a cheap price because of his age and health.

Age I agreed, but heath, Smith only miss 9 games in 9 years. He's durable.

If he's cut as opposed to a trade, which it looks likely, then that's a possibility.

All I know is that even if he comes in behind Edelman, I see Smith as the kind of guy who will end up Tom's #1 target by the end of the season.

He spent 13 years in Carolina as a #1 receiver with quarterbacks such as Jake Delhomme, Jimmy Clausen, Vinny Testaverde, Matt Moore and Cam Newton.

There is a reason Newton had back to back 400 yards as a rookie, and Smith had the 2nd or 3rd most yards and yards per catch, and it wasn't Cam Newton.

Enough said.

Even at 35, Steve Smith with a QB like Tom Brady, would probably look just as good as Steve Smith in his prime with any of the QB's listed above. Not to mention, the next likely destination for him would be the Donekys with Peyton and his old coach John Fox. And that gives me nightmares.

Yeah, I agree, this idea of Aqib Talib being a Patriot is a pipedream.
We both know WR headcases are on a different planet. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe