PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The FA, "sign the beast" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Really, is there any chance of Steve Smith coming here?

Yeah, I agree, this idea of Aqib Talib being a Patriot is a pipedream.

Imagine Talib and Smith being roommates during TC. :eek:

Imagine Talib and Smith being roommates during TC. :eek:

Smith would help Talib develop a tough mental attitude....by force if necessary;)

I don't think it would be an issue. Smith does what he does on the field to get in their head for the game. Not for personal reasons. Don't see Smith having any issue with Talib, since they are both very hard workers and want to perform at a high level.

You don't get to be a #1 receiver for 13 years with the SAME team if you have major issues. Honestly, I'm surprised he's not more crazy than he is, considering he's wasted his career away helping scrub QB's look good. If he can play with a QB with as big an ego as Newton's, who is the very definition of entitlement Smith can't stand, I'm sure he would get along very well with any of the Patriots players who basically share the same principles as he does. Not to mention, Tom.

I think Smith would be a great addition. He'd be a very strong influence in the professionalism department - how to work and prepare - for the young receivers here

The reason the undersized wide receiver who came out of the third round has been able to hang on this long and pile up the kind of amazing stats he has (836 catches, 12,197 yards and 67 touchdowns) is the way he worked. His practice habits are as intense as any player I’ve ever seen.

Panthers prefer passing torches to balls with Steve Smith call | ProFootballTalk

I think Smith would be a great addition. He'd be a very strong influence in the professionalism department - how to work and prepare - for the young receivers here

Panthers prefer passing torches to balls with Steve Smith call | ProFootballTalk

From that article it sounds like the Panthers want to cut him because he works hard, tries to get the other players to work hard, has been a team captain for too long, and other players don't like hearing about how he outworks them. Yeah I can attest to that "problem" with Smith.

*Cough* In other words, Cam Newton can't share the C label with Steve Smith because Smith walks the walk in practice and he goofs around and Smith constantly gives him a ear full. *cough".

I just can't ever see that being an issue on the Patriots team, with any player, let alone a QB like Tom. With Edelman testing free agency, sign my Smitty BB! Don't let him become a Raven, as the latest rumors are suggesting. They already have enough edge.

I'd love to replace Edelman with Steve Smith. The guy's so competitive and driven - he reminds me of Brady in that regard. And he's definitely more of a vertical threat than Edelman, to complement Amendola.

What if, hypothetically, you had the following options:

1. Re-sign Julian Edelman for $6M/year AAV.

2. Sign Steve Smith and Darren Sproles for about $6M/year AAV combined.

Which would you prefer? Which do you think would make our offense more versatile and explosive, provide more leadership, and give Brady too many weapons to cover?

Why Darren Sproles possibility intrigues - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

What if, hypothetically, you had the following options:

1. Re-sign Julian Edelman for $6M/year AAV.

2. Sign Steve Smith and Darren Sproles for about $6M/year AAV combined.

Which would you prefer? Which do you think would make our offense more versatile and explosive, provide more leadership, and give Brady too many weapons to cover?

Why Darren Sproles possibility intrigues - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Easy choice for me if we are talking about a 1-2 year deal, though I wouldn't pay either guy 6 million.

I've seen Edelman do it one year with Tom Brady.

I've seen Smith do it over 13 years, with scrub average or below average QBs and no #2 threat to take the heat away from him.

They both return punts.

Smith, since Edelman always seem to me as a "potential" Steve Smith, both starting their career the same way. But I'm biased and love the dude. He's a lot more fun to watch, that's for damn sure.

Merged: Steve Smith: Holmes; & Peppers.

sign the beasts:D

Easy choice for me if we are talking about a 1-2 year deal, though I wouldn't pay either guy 6 million.

I've seen Edelman do it one year with Tom Brady.

I've seen Smith do it over 13 years, with scrub average or below average QBs and no #2 threat to take the heat away from him.

They both return punts.

Smith, since Edelman always seem to me as a "potential" Steve Smith, both starting their career the same way. But I'm biased and love the dude. He's a lot more fun to watch, that's for damn sure.

I said $6M combined.

Darren Sproles' last contract in 2011 was 4 years/$14M, with $6M guaranteed. He'll be 31 in June. He's not getting anything near that. Steve Smith is 34, but still effective. You could probably sign both of them for what Edelman seems to be looking for. Get a couple of decent years out of them and it would be a very good use of the cap space.

Today is the day when bad teams overspend out of desperation. Good teams are patient and wait, and then get the values. We won't know for another few days where the values are. But there are always alternatives.

Adam Schefter
From me and Ed Werder: Cowboys are expected to release DeMarcus Ware, according to two sources.

Somewhere in Arizona is a bitter old man, screaming for the Pats to sign him!

I said $6M combined.

Darren Sproles' last contract in 2011 was 4 years/$14M, with $6M guaranteed. He'll be 31 in June. He's not getting anything near that. Steve Smith is 34, but still effective. You could probably sign both of them for what Edelman seems to be looking for. Get a couple of decent years out of them and it would be a very good use of the cap space.

Today is the day when bad teams overspend out of desperation. Good teams are patient and wait, and then get the values. We won't know for another few days where the values are. But there are always alternatives.

Sorry, I misread, then yes of course. He's just more talented all around.

I mean...

183kz3s03q96tgif.gif

steve-smith-jumping.jpg

557-Panthers_Saints_Football_05_sta.jpg

smith.gif

822631906.gif

Not to mention blocking, durability and stiff arming superiority.

getchoassdown.gif

There's just things Smith can -still - do that Edelman can't.

Not to mention, one of my favorite set of events ever to unfold watching a football game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MO36P6fNc

He still took the time to spin the ball. :rocker:

He would bring experience and an edge that this team and WR group sorely needs, imo. Sucks if the Ravens get him.

10 mins in and no signings for Pats! Gonna be a long season :)

Re: Julius Peppers

Isn't he due to make something like $18m this year? If so, they shouldn't waste their time trying to trade that contract. Even Al Davis wouldn't have taken that on if he was still alive.

Peppers has been cut.

Bengals announce they have released former Steeler OLB James Harrison.

Buccaneers announce they have released OT Donald Penn.

This player isn't a free agent yet, but from the talk in the Tampa Bay area it is just a matter of time.

He's a WR, entering his 5th year in the NFL. Didn't do much last year due to injury, but in his first three years he didn't miss a game and went 65/964/11, 65/771/3, and 63/996/9.

He's almost assuredly going to be cheap to sign, probably no more than whatever the vet minimum is for a 5th year player.

On the downside, he's not exactly a choirboy - which will most likely automatically disqualify him, being less than one year removed from the arrest of The Prisoner.

It's time for Bucs to cut Mike Williams loose | Tampa Bay Times

He has a hearing Thursday for trespassing and criminal mischief charges after an incident in December when he busted up a woman's door.

While renting a 5,400-square-foot home in Lutz, Williams' lifestyle resulted in at least five calls to 911 in a four-month stretch last year. He racked up nearly $50,000 in damages to the house.

Neighbors told stories about party-goers showing up in stretch limos at 4 in the morning and cars tearing up yards and demolishing sprinkler heads, not to mention mattresses found on the front lawn, as if the whole thing was a deleted scene from Project X.

The sad thing is Williams isn't some goofy high school kid. He's a grown man. He's 26. When, exactly, is he going to grow up?

Then there are at least 16 traffic citations he has received since 2010. Sixteen!

All-night parties. Kicking in doors. Driving around town like a maniac. And now a mysterious stabbing.

Who does this stuff?​

This player isn't a free agent yet, but from the talk in the Tampa Bay area it is just a matter of time.

He's a WR, entering his 5th year in the NFL. Didn't do much last year due to injury, but in his first three years he didn't miss a game and went 65/964/11, 65/771/3, and 63/996/9.

He's almost assuredly going to be cheap to sign, probably no more than whatever the vet minimum is for a 5th year player.

On the downside, he's not exactly a choirboy - which will most likely automatically disqualify him, being less than one year removed from the arrest of The Prisoner.

It's time for Bucs to cut Mike Williams loose | Tampa Bay Times

He has a hearing Thursday for trespassing and criminal mischief charges after an incident in December when he busted up a woman's door.

While renting a 5,400-square-foot home in Lutz, Williams' lifestyle resulted in at least five calls to 911 in a four-month stretch last year. He racked up nearly $50,000 in damages to the house.

Neighbors told stories about party-goers showing up in stretch limos at 4 in the morning and cars tearing up yards and demolishing sprinkler heads, not to mention mattresses found on the front lawn, as if the whole thing was a deleted scene from Project X.

The sad thing is Williams isn't some goofy high school kid. He's a grown man. He's 26. When, exactly, is he going to grow up?

Then there are at least 16 traffic citations he has received since 2010. Sixteen!

All-night parties. Kicking in doors. Driving around town like a maniac. And now a mysterious stabbing.

Who does this stuff?​

Not sure, it is going to happen, Smith seems to view the situation as Williams being a victim.

Lovie Smith says Mike Williams "was a victim"

To address the question at hand, I would sign Williams if I were the Patriots. I think he has a lot of upside and they could turn him around, he is immature.

We should at least be kicking the tires on Davin Joseph right? Dustin Keller too ??

Not sure, it is going to happen, Smith seems to view the situation as Williams being a victim.

Lovie Smith says Mike Williams "was a victim"

To address the question at hand, I would sign Williams if I were the Patriots. I think he has a lot of upside and they could turn him around, he is immature.

I don't know - the way Kraft shut down the Kenny Britt talk makes me think he's risk-averse at this time. No to this guy, no to Incognito, no to Colt Lyerla...that's my read on Kraft's statement, for what that's worth.

Who does this stuff?

Other than the stabbing, it actually sounds like college.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe