PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Early Mock Draft #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Here's the next edition of the Early Mock Draft, commentary and all. Patriots picks are in bold for ease of viewing. Once again, the Great Blue North draft order has been used as an objective measure, and no, I don't actually think that the Colts will win the Super Bowl.

1 Detroit: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame: Though his game against Michigan was completely unconvincing earlier in the year, Quinn remains the most NFL-ready quarterback in this year’s draft, and the Lions could use an NFL-ready quarterback.
2 Oakland: Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech: Despite their needs at QB, the Raiders select one of the most exciting prospects in ages: Calvin Johnson.
3 Arizona: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin: If any team could use an offensive tackle, it’s Arizona.
4 Tampa Bay: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan: Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly aren’t getting any younger. It would be good to address this need now before it’s too late.
5 Green Bay: Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma: The Packers have absolutely no running game, and Peterson is the best runningback in the draft.
6 Washington: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson: Though defensive end is not their biggest need, Gaines Adams would still be a huge improvement over their current defensive ends.
7 Houston: Laron Landry, S, LSU: Having C.C. Brown and Glenn Earl as your starting safeties is slightly less than an ideal situation. Landry is the best safety in the draft and can help in both run and pass support.
8 Cleveland: Alan Branch, DT, Michigan: The Browns’ middle will be rock solid in future years with this massive run stuffer from Michigan.
9 Minnesota: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona: Antoine Winfield and Fred Smoot leave something to be desired in the defensive backfield. Cason could drastically improve their secondary.
10 St. Louis: Paul Pozlusny, OLB, Penn State: Brandon Chillar is the starting strongside linebacker for the Rams. Enough said.
11 San Francisco: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh: The 49ers need desperate help in the secondary and Revis has the physical skills to make it in the NFL.
12 Miami: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State: The Dolphins’ offensive still could use some help, despite recent improvements.
13 Pittsburgh: Justin Blalock, OG, Texas: It is rare to see a guard go this high, but Pittsburgh really needs a good offensive lineman to put on their right side.
14 Buffalo: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville: The J.P. Losman experiment has failed, and the Bills desperately need to bring in some new blood.
15 Tennessee: Quinn Pit****, DT, Ohio State: The Titans need new blood at defensive tackle, even if Haynesworth doesn’t end up traded away or cut.
16 Atlanta: Jake Long, OT, Michigan: The Atlanta Falcons offensive line is not ideal, and Gandy is not a long-term solution at left tackle.
17 Carolina: Michael Griffin, S, Texas: Though Mike Minter can cover one safety spot, Shaun Williams is a less-than-ideal starter at the other position.
18 Philadelphia: Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia: Moses is an excellent defensive end who is easily the best player available in the draft at #18.
19 New York Giants: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville: The Giants are lacking in defensive talent at the tackle spot and Okoye is the best player available at the position.
20 New York Jets : Marshawn Lynch, RB, UCLA: The Jets took a lot of strides last year. The next step is to draft a “real†runningback.
21 Kansas City: Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC: The Chiefs could definitely use another threat in the air, as Eddie Kennison and Tony Gonzalez aren’t getting any younger.
22 Jacksonville: Lamarr Woodley, DE, Michigan: Though many teams are touting Woodley as the next great elephant, Jacksonville could simply use the next great defensive end.
23 Denver : Ted Ginn, WR, Ohio State: The Broncos could use more WR depth and, more importantly, a better return game.
24 Cincinnati: Zach Miller, TE, Arizona State: The Bengals do not have a pass-catching TE, and Palmer could always use another target.
25 New England (from Seattle): Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss: The Patriots continue to get older and older at the LB position, and Willis will not need to play right away with Bruschi, Vrabel and Seau all able to play the ILB spot.
26 Dallas: Brandon Meriweather, FS, Miami: Meriweather will compliment Roy Williams with his ability to drop back and play the deep zone.
27 New Orleans: Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State: First off, who would’ve put New Orleans at #27 at the beginning of the season? Anyway, the Saints could use more depth in the defensive secondary, which is probably their worst unit this year.
28 Baltimore: Troy Smith, QB, Ohio State: Wait, WHAT? Troy Smith could take a page out of Steve McNair’s book in the way of passing style, and the Ravens do need a new quarterback when McNair retires.
29 New England: Reggie Nelson, S, Florida: The Patriots could use a competent safety, as Rodney Harrison will not be able to get the job done too much longer and Eugene Wilson is not doing as well as some would like.
30 San Diego: Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame: The sure-handed Samardzija will be a fantasy addition to the Chargers offense and another target for the developing Philip Rivers.
31 Chicago: Brandon Siler, LB, Florida: If Lance Briggs leaves, Siler would be an adequate replacement at OLB. If Briggs doesn’t leave, this pick will likely be traded off.
32 Indianapolis: Sam Baker, OT, USC: Peyton Manning will need to find another unit to blame the Colts’ playoff failings on with this selection at the bottom of the first round.

Any thoughts?

that was pretty good

Both are good picks. We have to wait until free-agency shakes out to get a better hint of what we might do. I think all things being equal I would prefer a pass-rushing olb. But, if we don't sign a fa we have a glaring hole at ilb. Too much age. Bruschi and Seau(If he comes back), not enough talent in guys like Izzo and Davis. I wouldn't be upset with either. Nelson may have played himself higher than 29. If we got him and he can play right away. We could even move Geno to cb(If we don't keep Asante).

I think you're over-rating my PSU guys a little. Jake Long much better than Levi Brown. Not sure what NFL people think of Poz. Great college player and ambassador to school. He and Michael Robinson were instrumental into turning the program around. Hope he does well. Just not sure. I think TB
has to get one of your top 3. A cb does them no good next year. They need
immediate help on offense. If your scenario shakes out, I could even see them drafting Jake Long at 4. He's very good. Remember that play in the OSU/Michigan game in 05. He stoned Carpenter first play and buckled his knee. Knocking him out for the game.

I agree about Troy Smith going late in Round 1. Here's a prediction. We
trade our 2nd first to someone who covets him. Cleveland??,Houston and
Minny could all use a qb of the future. Yes, I've given up on D.Carr.

I like that mock. A ton of solid picks for the clubs.

After reading your Colts analysis, I almost feel sorry for any OL that goes to the Colts, regardless of the round.

As the draft approaches, I have a feeling that QB Jamarcus Russell of LSU will go #1 overall. My reasoning is that LSU will crush ND in the Sugar Bowl in a matchup of the top 2 QBs, Russell and Quinn. Russell, physically, is as impressive a prospect as any in years with his remarkable arm strength. His resume is strong, including a number of high profile last second victories, similar to Quinn. The factor that will tip the scales in Russell's favor is combination of accuracy/arm strength, which will blow away the competition. There is a possibility he will underachieve on the Wonderlik, but VY's struggles with the Wonderlik last year and amazing success this year have made the Wonderlik a questionable measure of success.

Nice work, I would be sorely tempted to take McCauley at @25 if it worked out like this. Him and Nelson would be a great start to rebuilding the secondary and I'd look to veteran FA for an ILB - of course, if Samuel re-signs that changes things.

Pony - is Russell expected to come out ? I hope so, all the QB who come out who are first rounders the better for us. I also like Smith in the first round, he looks like McNabb minus a few inches to me.

As the draft approaches, I have a feeling that QB Jamarcus Russell of LSU will go #1 overall. My reasoning is that LSU will crush ND in the Sugar Bowl in a matchup of the top 2 QBs, Russell and Quinn. Russell, physically, is as impressive a prospect as any in years with his remarkable arm strength. His resume is strong, including a number of high profile last second victories, similar to Quinn. The factor that will tip the scales in Russell's favor is combination of accuracy/arm strength, which will blow away the competition. There is a possibility he will underachieve on the Wonderlik, but VY's struggles with the Wonderlik last year and amazing success this year have made the Wonderlik a questionable measure of success.

JaMarcus Russell is indeed an intriguing prospect. I did not have him coming out in this mock; if I did, he probably would have taken Troy Smith's place in Baltimore.

I personally am not particularly impressed by Quinn. He didn't show a lot of heart in the Michigan game and seemed to give up on his team towards the end. He lost his poise when he faced a good pass defense that played strong press coverage and gave him pressure, which does NOT look good for his NFL future. If LSU defeats Notre Dame in the same way that Michigan did, Russell is easily a #1 contender. I could see either team at the top selecting him, with the other team selecting Quinn afterward.

Nice work, I would be sorely tempted to take McCauley at @25 if it worked out like this. Him and Nelson would be a great start to rebuilding the secondary and I'd look to veteran FA for an ILB - of course, if Samuel re-signs that changes things.

Pony - is Russell expected to come out ? I hope so, all the QB who come out who are first rounders the better for us. I also like Smith in the first round, he looks like McNabb minus a few inches to me.

BF,
I read that he's leaning in that direction. If Russell outplays Quinn in a head to head BCS match-up (which he probably will considering the disparity between the ND and LSU defenses), you'd have to think he would ride that momentum into the draft...

I love it. It helps with 2 big needs that we have for the future!

DR -
Good draft. However, I don't think that the Chargers are going to draft Samardzja. My reasoning is that they spent a 2nd round pick on Vincent Jackson 2 years ago and they also have Malcolm Floyd, who is turning heads out there. That is on top of having McCardell and Parker. Also, don't forget that the base San Diego offense consists of 2RB, 2 WR, and a TE. That is something the use better than 50% of the time. The 2 TE set with 2 WR and a HB they use quite a bit also.

Also, the Jets could look at a RB. Their quartet of Leon Washington, Derrick Blaylock, Cedric Houston, and Kevan Barlow hasn't exactly lit things up for them.

As for the Pats, their 1st pick will be influenced by what happens with Samuel. If the Pats have Samuel signed, then I agree that they look at Willis, though Willis may be off the board by then. Another influence will be what happens with Wilson. If Geno comes back healthy and with the same fire that he had as a rookie, then the Pats will probably look for a SS. Otherwise, I agree.

DR -
Good draft. However, I don't think that the Chargers are going to draft Samardzja. My reasoning is that they spent a 2nd round pick on Vincent Jackson 2 years ago and they also have Malcolm Floyd, who is turning heads out there. That is on top of having McCardell and Parker. Also, don't forget that the base San Diego offense consists of 2RB, 2 WR, and a TE. That is something the use better than 50% of the time. The 2 TE set with 2 WR and a HB they use quite a bit also.

Also, the Jets could look at a RB. Their quartet of Leon Washington, Derrick Blaylock, Cedric Houston, and Kevan Barlow hasn't exactly lit things up for them.

As for the Pats, their 1st pick will be influenced by what happens with Samuel. If the Pats have Samuel signed, then I agree that they look at Willis, though Willis may be off the board by then. Another influence will be what happens with Wilson. If Geno comes back healthy and with the same fire that he had as a rookie, then the Pats will probably look for a SS. Otherwise, I agree.

Chargers could use a WR .. but its a burner. they dont need any more 6"5 guys

i dont see the bills and ravens taking a qb in the first round

losman found a spark and the ravens will go back to boller

great draft though

This is my latest thinking, comments welcome. I hope this is the year some youth is added to the LB core.

Players under control resigned
Alexander, Mays, Yates, Britt, Wright, Gay (one more time...)

Sign or Franchise
CB - Samuel

Veteran FAs
ILB - EJ Henderson - provide a Seau type role
WR - Curtis - assume small, quick WR role

Draft
1 Round 1 WR - Ginn (Ohio State)
1 Round 1 OLB - Spencer (Purdue)
2 Round 2 ILB - Waters (Clemson)
3 Round 3 DT/DE - Brown - (Miami)
4 Round 4 ILB/OLB - DeOssie (Brown)
5 (Comp) Round 5 CB - DeAndre Jackson (Iowa State)
6 Round 6 TE - Patrick, Delaware
6 (Comp) Round 6 FB - Andersen, Tenn.
7 Round 7 QB - Rowe, Nevada

We may have one more comp coming our way so take your pick of OL, Safety...

2007 Roster
Pos Depth1 Depth2 Depth3
QB - Brady, Cassel
LWR - Caldwell, Curtis, WR - Ginn (Ohio State)
RWR - Jackson, Gaffney
LT - Light, Kaczur
LG - Mankins, Yates
C - Koppen, Hochstein
RG - Neal
RT - O'Callaghan, Britt
TE - Watson, Thomas, TE - Patrick, Delaware
FB - Mills, FB - Andersen, Tenn.
RB - Maroney, DILLON, FAULK
LDE - Warren, Wright, DT/DE - Brown - (Miami)
NT - Wilfork, Smith
RDE - Seymour Green
LOLB - COLVIN, OLB - Spencer (Purdue)
LILB - BRUSCHI, ILB - Waters (Clemson)
RILB - EJ Henderson ILB\OLB - DeOssie (Brown)
ROLB - VRABEL, Woods Alexander
LCB - Samuel, Scott, Gay
SS - HARRISON, Sanders, Mitchell
FS - Hawkins, Wilson
RCB - Hobbs CB - DeAndre Jackson (Iowa State)
P - MILLER
PK - Gostkowski
LS - Paxton

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back