The Defense -

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
THE CORE (14)
Seymour,Wilfork,Warren,Green,Bruschi,Colvin,Vrabel,Samuel,Hobbs,Poteat, Gay,Wilson,Hawkins,Sanders

The difference on defense is that there are incumbant fighting for the spots.

OPEN (11)
3 DL Hill, Klecko, Wright, Thomas
5 LB Beisel, Claridge, Banta-Cain, Alexander
1 CB
2 ST Izzo, Davis, Scott

Many will be brought in to compete (e.g. a vet S, a jag corner and a vet NT), but the defense COULD be ready with a couple of linebackers and a corner.

There is no doubt in my mind that while the five positions mentioned above a critically important, they represent about 6 of the more than 20 players who will be brought in over the next few weeks.

i dont think poteat, hawkins, and sanders' jobs are secure

Our defense, free of injury, will likely be in the top 10 next year, possibly even top 5.

The only thing that troubles me is that there doesn't seem to be much buzz about any of our developing rookies for the defense. Remember the excitement in training camp as we watched Asante and Eugene Wilson emerge as bonafide starters? Aside from the defensive line, where BB struck gold with his three starters, what rookies\backups are we getting excited about?

Sanders? Hasn't shown much yet, but has Rodney's praise.
Scott? Injuries have kept him off the field.
Tully Banta-Cain? It's hard to break into our LB rotation, but nobody's talking about him much.
Hill & Klecko?
Claridge? Next year may be telling -- but where's the buzz?

The only real buzz is around Hobbs (and Gay?), aside from the occasional training camp report about Childress/Ventrone/Alexander?

GoWhalers said:
Our defense, free of injury, will likely be in the top 10 next year, possibly even top 5.

The only thing that troubles me is that there doesn't seem to be much buzz about any of our developing rookies for the defense. Remember the excitement in training camp as we watched Asante and Eugene Wilson emerge as bonafide starters? Aside from the defensive line, where BB struck gold with his three starters, what rookies\backups are we getting excited about?

Sanders? Hasn't shown much yet, but has Rodney's praise.
Scott? Injuries have kept him off the field.
Tully Banta-Cain? It's hard to break into our LB rotation, but nobody's talking about him much.
Hill & Klecko?
Claridge? Next year may be telling -- but where's the buzz?

The only real buzz is around Hobbs (and Gay?), aside from the occasional training camp report about Childress/Ventrone/Alexander?

youre right
but dont forget that sey, warren, and wilfork were all early-mid picks
i feel pretty good about hobbs

Hopefully we can add Harrison to the list of now 15 core defenders. I'm still a little doubtful about his health --- don't want to get my hopes up.

Maybe (if we're lucky) BB considers Banta-Cain to now be ready for bigger contributions. It certainly takes awhile to learn LB in our system, and now Tully's had awhile! I'm also not giving up yet on Beisel. He seems like a classic case where Year 2 should be significantly better than Year 1.

mgteich said:
THE CORE (14)
Seymour,Wilfork,Warren,Green,Bruschi,Colvin,Vrabel,Samuel,Hobbs,Poteat, Gay,Wilson,Hawkins,Sanders

The difference on defense is that there are incumbant fighting for the spots.

OPEN (11)
3 DL Hill, Klecko, Wright, Thomas
5 LB Beisel, Claridge, Banta-Cain, Alexander
1 CB
2 ST Izzo, Davis, Scott

Many will be brought in to compete (e.g. a vet S, a jag corner and a vet NT), but the defense COULD be ready with a couple of linebackers and a corner.

There is no doubt in my mind that while the five positions mentioned above a critically important, they represent about 6 of the more than 20 players who will be brought in over the next few weeks.
ANother solid breakdown, but here I think the numbers needed are more in flux...and another could be added from offense to increase the total to 26. There will be some interesting battles. As for DLs, it's so amazing that while there are at least 3 positions open, there has been so little talk in general about bringing in any DL either in the draft or FA. I agree, it's not one at all of big concern and focus, but a backup NT that could play a few series a game could really impact the play of Wilfork in a good way. I so see 1 oe 2 DLs brought in via the draft or UDFA to battle for a position. LB will be a spot that may get younger this year, which is needed. Someone is needed for a starting role, either an inside run stuffer or an OLB. I am not sure whehter this will be a vet or a rook, but one really is needed. The backups will be where a lot of the battle will be. Claridge is an interesting one since supposedly he can play inside and out. And players like Biesel and TBC will need to play better if they are to stay. I do not at all think MB is out of the mix; it took Bruschi awhile to make a smilar transition. It will be interesting to watch and see what develops here. As for DBs, the one I think is not a lock is Poteat, although Gay or Sanders also may be in that category..but a step up. A vet CB is needed and or a high draft pick. Some think a S like Tank could come in and move a Hawkins or Wilson back to CB and that MAY be possible although not likely. A bit of depth needed here especially important with so many DBs going down last year. The fact that some can play both is a real plus to have. The one missing from this picture is Rodney and that is puzzling, although my reasoning is he will start PUP and come on as Brsuchi did last year into the season. As for ST...I think this may be the swans song for Izzo...the one impact player here may be S Ray Ventrone who will certainly brighten the ST mix. DBs/LBs a lot up for grabs. It should make for some battles in camp and some big decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft