PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Case of the Malevolent Rumor-Monger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi QuiGon,

I have been reading this entire thread and feel that the reporter who got the "tip" handled the situation of Tedy Bruischi's so not true death was in the wrong.. You have been very firm in handling this reporter so I feel I have to ask- Are you a member of the media? A reporter? I mean, dude, it's so obvious, you don't have to answer back..

Sincerely,
AirForcePatFan

Star Trek (sic) boy is NOT a member of the media

Hi QuiGon,

I have been reading this entire thread and feel that the reporter who got the "tip" handled the situation of Tedy Bruischi's so not true death was in the wrong.. You have been very firm in handling this reporter so I feel I have to ask- Are you a member of the media? A reporter? I mean, dude, it's so obvious, you don't have to answer back..

Sincerely,
AirForcePatFan
I am not a member of the media. I have put forth what I believe happened. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. People here are going to have to decide for themselves what to believe.

For my part, I believe there were some poor errors in judgement, but no gross ethical lapses. I may have more personal insight than some here presume, but I don't care much what others think. I don't think it's fair to blame all this on the individual who first received the rumor and, in my opinion, some media members involved may have gotten a bit carried away but nevertheless were acting mostly in good faith to find out simply WTF was going on.

I can say with 100% certainty that when a rumor comes from out of the blue to a reporter, it is not unheard of for him/her to contact some friendly colleagues and say "Have you heard anything about this...?" I believe that that is partially responsible for what happened here. That is simply my opinion.

FWIW, I am usually very critical of the media. But in this instance I am not going to criticize the media for a story that was never written or a report that was never broadcast.

Last edited:
One other thing... what we don't know and probably never will (though I am dying to find out) is the original source of the whole rumor given to the original reporter (who, according to Tom Curran, was someone at Channel 25). That, to me, is a huge factor in determining the potential guilt of Mystery Reporter X. Suppose it was a doctor or administrator at MGH... or maybe some other source who has proven very reliable in the past... that makes Mystery Reporter X's actions more understandable, wouldn't you say...?

But if the original source was Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo, then I am the first to admit that Myster Reporter X was out of line. Maybe not a fireable offense but maybe one that deserves a quiet leave of abscence.

If anyone ever wants the textbook example of journalistic malpractice, just google "Half & Suzanne Zantop, Boston Globe". This just doesn't rise to anywhere near that level.

Last edited:
He seen my postings in the political forum... he knows I am way too conservative to work for the liberal media :D

But you're so Foxy....

Just as a wrap up to this whole sordid affair, I didn't hear of any local media referencing the story or the rumor beyond what Felger said. Now, it certainly may have been mentioned somewhere - I can't simultaneously watch 4 TV stations and listen to the radio all day - so if anyone heard anything I would be interested to hear...

But, AFAIK, the closest anyone came to referencing this rumor was none other than Butch Sterns on Channel 25's 10:00 news... He said almost with a wink and a nod (doing my best to paraphrase from memory): "One player not on the PUP list is Laurence Maroney so that is good news. Also, not on the PUP list is Tedy Bruschi. Bruschi was at the stadium working out yesterday, he was there today and he is expected to be there again tomorrow." :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News