PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Case of the Malevolent Rumor-Monger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny. Only ONE of those media outlets has (so far) been named as running to others before confirming with the Patriots about a father/husband's death.

If another media person received the rumor and first did not confirm it with the Patriots before spreading it, they too would be commitiing journalistic malpractice.

BTW, why do you think Stacey James has a job? Do the Patriots pay him to fend off the media regarding employees' deaths?

I've had to do a turnabout after recalling the hundreds of athletes rumored deaths over the last few years. How naive of me too.

Funny. Only ONE of those media outlets has (so far) been named as running to others before confirming with the Patriots about a father/husband's death.
Bullcrap. There was a whole bunch of people-calling-people. If you're too naive to realize this, I just can't help you.
If another media person received the rumor and first did not confirm it with the Patriots or the agent before spreading it, they too would be commitiing journalistic malpractice.
Sorry, but that ain't journalistic malpractice. Journalistic malpractice is:

1) Report an untrue story, including deliberately misleading or misquoting. No one did this here because no one reported the story.
2) Deliberately spreading a rumor known to be false. Ssorry, but no one did this either.
3) Plagiarism, lack of proper attribution, etc. (not applicable here).

Hearing a rumor and then calling some peers and saying "Did you hear this...?" is not journalistic malpractice. Your childlike mind is foolishly naive if you refuse to acknowledge that that sort of thing happens all the time.
Curran and Felger both immediately went to the agent. Anything other than contacting the agent or the team first is journalistically idiotic.
Oh, so now we're listening to Michael Felger as the epitome of integrity and honesty..? Don't make me laugh. Curran has a ver fair, very level headed piece on the subject but he certainly doesn't, as you say, "RIP" any of the offending parties. His harshest words are "Well, the answer won't really drape the journalism industry in glory."

Agreed...POOR journalism..I stil find it hard to believe that this rumor went on and on and NOT eradicated as false early on. Good point though..wouldn't it make 100% sense to call James and find out?? I think that is journalism 101...and it's a LOT different with a trade rumor or something of that sort..but a death of a player?? That strikes me as POOR..VERY poor!! From Tom Curran---"How did it get this far? Well, the answer won't really drape the journalism industry in glory."....Now it just shows how POOR it really is. Leave it to TC in Atlanta to get a handle on it all.

Wait a second, how was it poor journalism? There was never a story (TV, newspaper, etc) about it. It was just another internet rumor (albeit a classless one). I'm actually impressed Fox 25 didn't run with it.

Just as an ironic aside... obviously the Bruschi rumors are false, but isn't it funny how some people in here are so anxious to believe everything they read about how the rumor got started in the first place..?

Face it: We're only reading rumors about how the Bruschi got started. So, in other words, we're reading rumors about rumors.

Poor judgement was exercised, but nobody committed any journalistic cardinal sins. Nobody went to press or to air with an untrue story. Nobody even went to press or air with a story saying it might be true. Sure, some idiots on the internet reported this like it was 100% fact, signed sealed and delivered. But you can't quite blame the MSM for that, now can you..? (Well, I guess some people in here can, but certainly not the intelligent ones amongst us).

Wait a second, how was it poor journalism? There was never a story (TV, newspaper, etc) about it. It was just another internet rumor (albeit a classless one). I'm actually impressed Fox 25 didn't run with it.
Lord-a-mercy, me and Jacky are on the same side of an argument for once. Apocalypse..!!! :D

Curran has a ver fair, very level headed piece on the subject but he certainly doesn't, as you say, "RIP" any of the offending parties. His harshest words are "Well, the answer won't really drape the journalism industry in glory."

You evidently didn't read his original post (that was subsequently evidently was edited by MSNBC's Standards and Practices Department overnight).

In it he identified Fox News 25. That is missing in the edited version this morning. He was also alot harsher in his depiction of the journalistic standards off the Fox News 25 reporter.

You evidently didn't read his original post (that was subsequently evidently was edited by MSNBC's Standards and Practices Department overnight).

In it he identified Fox News 25. That is missing in the edited version this morning. He was also alot harsher in his depiction of the journalistic standards off the Fox News 25 reporter.
Then please repost what his original words on the subject were. I would be very interested in reading them - and that's an honest statement. If he wrote more than what's there right now, I would very much like to read the edited comments. Otherwise, you're just engaging in hearsay.

Last edited:

Perhaps you're not acquainted with similar rumors that were spread right here on our board by a member of the media, even though he would never write such things in his publication or talk about them on his webcast. Were you "impressed" that Patriots Football Weekly didn't "run" with stories about how bad Mike Reiss' or Mrs B's writing was or the exact wording of Chad Jackson's joke that "shocked" the patriot season ticket holders into silence?

A member of the media spreading unfounded rumors ESPECIALLY if he doesn't have the balls to put his own name to it, is spineless and irresponsible. I don't care for regular Joe/Josephine Publics doing it, but a member of the media, with media credentials/press passes and a working desk at the stadium should be held to a higher standard.

Sad that the Tom Currans and Michael Smiths have left for bigger things and we are mostly stuck with children.

Then please repost what his original words on the subject were. I would be very interested in reading them - and that's an honest statement. If he wrote more than what's there right now, I would very much like to read the edited comments. Otherwise, you're just engaging in hearsay.

I wish it were possible, but it is now edited. I distinctly remember seeing in his first version that it had come into Fox 25, because that is the first I heard of that. He made stronger criticisms of the Fox reporter than what shows there now. I immediately thought to myself, "wow, Curran is calling PERSONALLY them out", and that it was very gutsy of him to do that.

If someone can somehow bring back the original version that would be great.

Perhaps you're not acquainted with similar rumors that were spread right here on our board by a member of the media, even though he would never write such things in his publication or talk about them on his webcast. Were you "impressed" that Patriots Football Weekly didn't "run" with stories about how bad Mike Reiss' or Mrs B's writing was or the exact wording of Chad Jackson's joke that "shocked" the patriot season ticket holders into silence?

A member of the media spreading unfounded rumors ESPECIALLY if he doesn't have the balls to put his own name to it, is spineless and irresponsible. I don't care for regular Joe/Josephine Publics doing it, but a member of the media, with media credentials/press passes and a working desk at the stadium should be held to a higher standard.

Sad that the Tom Currans and Michael Smiths have left for bigger things and we are mostly stuck with children.

You just accused a member of the media of spreading the rumor here on this forum. You should be prepared to identify the person when making such a claim.

You're comparing apples and oranges. What that guy did was grossly unethical and he should have his ass fired. But that's got nothing to do with this instance.
I guess this is the issue where we're going to have to agree to disagree. If a reporter hears a rumor and calls other reporter buddies and says "Hey did you hear any of this...?" then that isn't spreading unfounded rumors. That's trying to get to the bottom of things and it is the sort of thing all sorts of journalists do all the time in politics, business, entertainment and sports.

Here's some proof of the editing of Curran's piece, Quigon:

Look at the comments after the article:

http://www.nbcsports.com/tomcurran/blog/2007/07/bruschi_lives.html

Specifically:

"TEC,

Why'd you take out the earlier reference to Fox 25 in Boston? The first version of this story had it as Fox - what are you in witness protection? The scum that started this should be brought forward and flogged.

This was also reported on Mike Felgar's ESPN radio show today too - he debunked it as you did.

Neither of you mention the reporter, but I have to wonder if it was someone else, whether you'd both be a little more forth coming. . . .hmmm

OT

Posted by: Outta Town | July 24, 2007 10:42 PM "

You just accused a member of the media of spreading the rumor here on this forum. You should be prepared to identify the person when making such a claim.

Ummm, PWP, a few hundred people here can tell you all about the OTHER example I'm referencing which has nothing to do with the Bruschi thing. You're confusing the two.

I guess this is the issue where we're going to have to agree to disagree. If a reporter hears a rumor and calls other reporter buddies and says "Hey did you hear any of this...?" then that isn't spreading unfounded rumors. That's trying to get to the bottom of things and it is the sort of thing all sorts of journalists do all the time in politics, business, entertainment and sports.

I can agree to disagree with you on that. That's fine.

1) I just believe (hope) that if I called myself a journalist, if given a very huge rumor about a player's death, that my FIRST inclination would be to call Stacey James or the player's agent. I would think myself absolutely incompetent if my reaction to such a hot tip would, instead, be to pick my nose and call my fellow press buddies or internet bloggers.

2) Aren't these guys in COMPETITION with each to get the scoop? Whatever happened to working on the tip not in a CARTEL fashion, but getting independent corroboration and breaking the story when getting the confirmation? Do I want Reiss to first call Felger and Dan Pires before going with something, or do I want him to call the agent of the Patriots or the player himself?

3) Methinks the fallout from a recent fiasco with a reporter at FSNE where he might have gone to the OTHER extreme on a scoop (i.e. NOT bouncing the Dale Earnhardt "scoop" off a few of his media buddies, therefore leaving his arse exposed when he "broke" a false story) may be a background explanation to some of the workings of this story.

Here's some proof of the editing of Curran's piece, Quigon:

Look at the comments after the article:

http://www.nbcsports.com/tomcurran/blog/2007/07/bruschi_lives.html

Specifically:

"TEC,

Why'd you take out the earlier reference to Fox 25 in Boston? The first version of this story had it as Fox - what are you in witness protection? The scum that started this should be brought forward and flogged.

This was also reported on Mike Felgar's ESPN radio show today too - he debunked it as you did.

Neither of you mention the reporter, but I have to wonder if it was someone else, whether you'd both be a little more forth coming. . . .hmmm

OT

Posted by: Outta Town | July 24, 2007 10:42 PM "
Actually, after reading what you wrote, I went over and checked it and yes the comments certainly indiciate that Curran wrote the rumor began with a "tip" given to Channel 25 in Boston. But I never denied that the rumors began with a tip to Channel 25 (probably Butch Sterns) so nothing you've written above really matters to anything I've said. In fact, my comments have pretty assumed that that was the case.

What I am interested in seeing is Curran "ripping" the offending media member.

Actually, after reading what you wrote, I went over and checked it and yes the comments certainly indiciate that Curran wrote the rumor began with a "tip" given to Channel 25 in Boston. But I never denied that the rumors began with a tip to Channel 25 (probably Butch Sterns) so nothing you've written above really matters to anything I've said. In fact, my comments have pretty assumed that that was the case.

What I am interested in seeing is Curran "ripping" the offending media member.

It does prove that there definitely were edits excised from that article overnight. That wasn't the only thing edited. It merely shows that what you read there now wasn't all that was originally under his byline last night.

If you are a journalist you try and get the facts..running with a rumor to others is hardly that...please!!

It's been dealt with in the past and I will leave it to him if he wishes to continue with it.

I look at Fox 25 as one step above the National Enquirer to be honest. If Butch Stearns could find one source at MGH to corroborate his story, I'm surprised he didn't run with it.

I have no idea about anyone on this board from the media, so I'm at a loss there. Nonethless, the only place this turned up last night was on message boards. If it showed up as breaking news on TV or ESPN, then it'd be bad journalism.

I look at Fox 25 as one step above the National Enquirer to be honest. If Butch Stearns could find one source at MGH to corroborate his story, I'm surprised he didn't run with it.

I have no idea about anyone on this board from the media, so I'm at a loss there. Nonethless, the only place this turned up last night was on message boards. If it showed up as breaking news on TV or ESPN, then it'd be bad journalism.

Once again, there's no certainty that it's Stearns.

BTW, it's not correct when you write "Nonethless, the only place this turned up last night was on message boards."

Teammates were called by the reporter. As Bruce Allen at BSMW wrote:

http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/

You'd like to think a guy could lose his job for acting so irresponsibly, but the media wagons are already circled in this matter. It doesn't seem like anything will happen."

Additionally there's this from the Felger transcript:
" The next thing you know, the public relations guy for this team, called this reporter back, and said “I just spoke to the player in question, and he asked me to ask you to stop calling his teammates and asking if he’s dead.”

So there you have it, Quigon.

The reporter couldn't call the player or the PR Personnel at the Patriots. But THEY had to get in touch with HIM (talk about the whole thing being backwards) to tell him to stop calling his teammates regarding this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back