PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Big Lie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The player started at the 26. If you started most of your kick returns FROM almost the 30 yard line, you don't think you'd have a bigger chance for a TD return?

Yes if they are kicked from the 30. But if kicked from the 15, no. Only those returns where the runner gets caught inside the 15. And that's very rare on kickoffs. The actual time the kick is in the air doesn't change, the distance the defense has to run down the field to cover doesn't change.

Last edited:
Only those returns where the runner gets caught inside the 15. And that's very rare on kickoffs. The actual time the kick is in the air doesn't change, the distance the defense has to run down the field to cover doesn't change.

No, but the starting position does, which would lead to mental errors as players run down the field and try to 'stop a big play'. Watching the play unfold that's all I could think..

Oh snap, they tried too hard to book it down there and left a gaping hole.

:shrug: as long as we don't kick off from the 15 again I'm not worried about Hixon.

Last edited:
Guys, it doesn't matter if you think the penalty caused the return or not. The fact is, 1 out of 92 kickoffs were returned for TDs. That, alone, says that it was a fluke and in all probability won't happen again. The fluky-ness is merely enhanced by the fact it was a strange kickoff.

Very doubtful. Never got it inside the 5. This one wasn't his shortest of the night even.

Gostkowski kicks 63 yards from NE 30 to NYG 7
Gostkowski kicks 60 yards from NE 30 to NYG 10
Gostkowski kicks 59 yards from NE 15 to NYG 26
Gostkowski kicks 60 yards from NE 30 to NYG 10
Gostkowski kicks 62 yards from NE 30 to NYG 8
Gostkowski kicks 56 yards from NE 30 to NYG 14
Gostkowski kicks 65 yards from NE 30 to NYG 5
Gostkowski kicks 59 yards from NE 30 to NYG 11
Or it could have gone out of bounds. Don't get me wrong, I am far from saying the penalty "caused" the TD. Personally, I blame poor coverage and tackling for the TD. I don't think it matters where you kick from and how long the kick is. There is no excuse for poor coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3