PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 89% Cash Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
For 2013-2017, the team have to have paid 89% of the cap to the players, otherwise they will need to make up the money to the players.

Obviously, there are many ways for teams to deal with this issue.

How are teams doing overall? How many millions have been unspent?

It seems that there will be three effects on the 2015 and 2016 free agency periods.

1) More cap money will be spent. (many teams leave a lot of cap money on the table),

2) the players may get more compensation (not as likely, since they get a percentage of revenue), and

3) there will be higher bonuses and less backloading of contracts.

It would seem that the patriots, and other teams that spend near their cap totals, will be at a disadvantage as other teams are forced to spend more money.

I feel bad for teams like Oakland and Jacksonville who have tons of money to spend but most of the Elite FA's are already off the market and free agency has not even started yet

We shouldn't have any trouble with the 89% rule. Just prior to the 4-year window, the Pats shelled out big cash for Brady, Gronkowski, Hernandez, Mayo, etc...

We've been at or near the cap, but carrying a lot of pro-ration.

This year, they've got McCourty, Revis, and possibly Solder. Next year, they've got Hightower and Jones.

At least we've got some good in-house options to spend the money on, and they'll spend it.

The patriots will have no issues in meeting the floor. There are lots of bonuses to be paid in the next couple of years.

My question is the effect on the free agency market of having all this extra cash out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes