PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 51 Man Roster

No one would be so weak at #3 TE that they wouldn't want to try out Firsker for 3 weeks.

He was an unsigned FA, so every team already had an opportunity to sign him without committing to putting him on their active roster for some weeks without ever practicing with him. It's not even clear he's going to make our roster over the other two TEs.

He was an unsigned FA, so every team already had an opportunity to sign him without committing to putting him on their active roster for some weeks without ever practicing with him. It's not even clear he's going to make our roster over the other two TEs.
Of course. I think that any TE who is not on the 53 doesn't merit being on the 53 in the judgement of the coaches. Yes, there could be a Hoyer like exception for a single day.

Of course. I think that any TE who is not on the 53 doesn't merit being on the 53 in the judgement of the coaches. Yes, there could be a Hoyer like exception for a single day.

The point now is that the new elevation rules allow you to essentially enlarge the roster at the beginning of the season by elevating some vets up to three times before deciding (based on injuries etc.) whether to put on them on the roster.

In 2021, Hoyer was elevated for one game before being signed while Folk was elevated for two games before being signed. Ferentz had three elevations before being signed. Sucks for the players, (as no guaranteed salary for the year apart from lower pay on squad), but it's still generally their best alternative.

The point now is that the new elevation rules allow you to essentially enlarge the roster at the beginning of the season by elevating some vets up to three times before deciding (based on injuries etc.) whether to put on them on the roster.

In 2021, Hoyer was elevated for one game before being signed while Folk was elevated for two games before being signed. Ferentz had three elevations before being signed. Sucks for the players, (as no guaranteed salary for the year apart from lower pay on squad), but it's still generally their best alternative.
I agree. If such players are willing to play for $20K a week, then this works well.

If such players are willing to play for $20K a week, then this works well.

It's not just $20k per week - very likely they have been given assurances that they will be signed to the roster after a few games.

I agree. If such players are willing to play for $20K a week, then this works well.
That type of player generally has no other options, or you don’t really care if they leave, which is why they are chosen.

It's not just $20k per week - very likely they have been given assurances that they will be signed to the roster after a few games.
oh, the wink, wink?

When a team puts a team on the Practice Squad, that player can be picked up by any team. That is the risk teams take. If there are players who are willing to play for $20K with the promise of being occasionally brought up to the roster, then fine. These players are players that no one in the entire league wants on their roster, and who are willing to play for under the vet minimum.

How valuable are these players?

I guess there are a couple of points.

1) We are not protecting these players in any way. They are free to sign with another team at any time.

2) I like the system. It replaces the "shadow roster". And yes, these vets earn more than other PS players, and have a mechanism to be upgraded several times a year.

EXAMPLES
Folks might think that we can protect access to Boutte by putting him on the Practice Squad. This is simply not true. If ANY team sees him as a solid prospect for the future, they will make him an offer to be on their 53 man roster.

Another example might be a backup STer, perhaps Speed. Again, I could see a team that values STers signing him to their roster if he is a better STer than the STer at the bottom of their roster.

There is a big distinction between vets and others - the vets don't have to go through waivers. If you put Boutte on the PS he's likely gone the next day.

If BB pulls the trigger on Ryland and lets Folk go, what's the chances he gets signed by another team before say wk. 6, in case Ryland poops his pants and needs to get IR'd till next year? It's such a risk letting such a solid vet PK walk. He's been one of the most surprising and dependable vets of any position over the last 3 years.

If BB pulls the trigger on Ryland and lets Folk go, what's the chances he gets signed by another team before say wk. 6, in case Ryland poops his pants and needs to get IR'd till next year? It's such a risk letting such a solid vet PK walk. He's been one of the most surprising and dependable vets of any position over the last 3 years.
1) I don't know if any team prefers Folk to their current kicker.

2) However, the first team that loses their kicker would be calling Folk. Even if a team loses it kicker for a month, they would call Folk.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back