PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 51 Man Roster

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I expect us to have a 53 man roster, and immediately put two players on IR?

In any case, I expect us to sign 2 players cut by other teams on cutdown day.

Candidates for ir so far include Michael Onwenu and Calvin Anderson

A big time blow to that position group

yeah, the OL has me concerned as well
Onwenu, Anderson, Brown.
I saw Brown said he is "hopeful" he is ready by week 1.
I simply do not see much help at cut down day for the OL. too many teams in need.
at this point McDermott appears to be a lock
I believe Reiff on the bubble

Man, Onwenu better not start on IR - that would be horrible.
I projected last Dec. that McDermott would be our RT this year, and so far, it's looking true. I think he's capable, at least as good as we've had the last few years.
It seems Brown and Strange will be okay and ready to start wk. 1, but it'd sure be nice to get them at least 2 weeks of practice prior.
So, is Mafi ready at RG if Onwenu indeed lingers? Or, will they go to Ferentz or something? Ugh.
If Brown is out, I'm terrified if Reiff is our LT.

If players never practice they can go on PUP/Reserve and return 6 weeks later. They don't count against the 53. So Anderson, Onwenu and Cody Davis are at this point still candidates for this.

If players never practice they can go on PUP/Reserve and return 6 weeks later. They don't count against the 53. So Anderson, Onwenu and Cody Davis are at this point still candidates for this.
I believe that in-season PUP and IR both last 4 games.

The PUP distinction requires a decision after 6 weeks. The in-season IR has no such restriction.

Also, as noted, the in-season PUP does not count against the 53. In-season IR is for folks who made the 53. Those on IR BEFORE the cut-down are on IR for the year.

I expect us to have a 53 man roster, and immediately put two players on IR?

In any case, I expect us to sign 2 players cut by other teams on cutdown day.
How can you expect which players will be injured in 4 weeks from now?

I believe that in-season PUP and IR both last 4 games.

The PUP distinction requires a decision after 6 weeks. The in-season IR has no such restriction.

Also, as noted, the in-season PUP does not count against the 53. In-season IR is for folks who made the 53. Those on IR BEFORE the cut-down are on IR for the year.
Isn’t pup between 6 and 10 weeks?

Players on pup do not count against the 53.

Players on pup do not count against the 53.

Like I said. PUP/Reserve is different from IR or PUP/Active.

We can easily stash a couple of vets on the Practice Squad for a week - we did that last year with Folk. So that can make room for any players that have already practiced that we want to put on IR. So I disagree with the thesis of the OP - it's 53, not 51. In fact you can argue it's 55 or even 56 because you can call up two players three times each from the PS.

I think Klemm and Bob will help Mcdermott along and improve on what was a decent second half of last season....we need McD to have a good start and I hope he shows this in preseason games.

I think Klemm and Bob will help Mcdermott along and improve on what was a decent second half of last season....we need McD to have a good start and I hope he shows this in preseason games.
it is an interesting point and one we do not see a lot of. BOB can very much help this OL with RPO's, quick strike plays, hurry up offense keeping the defense off balance and winded. imo, all of that plays to Mac's strengths, and all of that is what MattyP did not get done last season.

Candidates for ir so far include Michael Onwenu and Calvin Anderson

A big time blow to that position group
Agreed very concerning.. especially ownenu.. ALL Pro caliber player.

Like I said. PUP/Reserve is different from IR or PUP/Active.

We can easily stash a couple of vets on the Practice Squad for a week - we did that last year with Folk. So that can make room for any players that have already practiced that we want to put on IR. So I disagree with the thesis of the OP - it's 53, not 51. In fact you can argue it's 55 or even 56 because you can call up two players three times each from the PS.
I apologize.

I didn't think that players were forced to take pay cuts and be available to the patriots, without any rights to sign elsewhere. If the is tre, then of course we can sign veterans for $20K a week and keep them on the Practice Squad, boosting the size of the squad. Some here believe that we can alos have a list of players who just wait for our call, ignoring the calls from other teams.

If you are saying that there are players who would willingness accept ebing on the Practice Squad with prmises to be signed back for the season or for a week or two, then sure there are such players.
==============
BOTTOM LINE
Yes, there can be players who agree to be CUT for a day and not be on the 53 so that the team can have have someone on the 53 and then on the in-season IR.

HOWEVER, my point is to expect that 2 players will be added from other teams before Game 2, and probably before Game 1, and that one is fooling themselves if they believe that 53 on the current roster (or on the roster after cutdowns and even after next day re-signs) will be available for action in the first few games.

If you are saying that there are players who would willingness accept ebing on the Practice Squad with prmises to be signed back for the season or for a week or two, then sure there are such players.

Well in 2021 Brian Hoyer and Nick Folk were such players. This year I could see Firkser as a vet who doesn't have to go through waivers and who is unlikely to get poached. Also maybe Ferentz. Given the crunch at receiver, I could easily see them going with just two TEs on the roster and elevating a third from the PS, so they could possibly stash all 3 backup TEs on the PS.

BTW, does anyone have a link to that 53 man roster picker website? Has it been set up for the 2023 season yet? Love that tool.

Well in 2021 Brian Hoyer and Nick Folk were such players. This year I could see Firkser as a vet who doesn't have to go through waivers and who is unlikely to get poached. Also maybe Ferentz. Given the crunch at receiver, I could easily see them going with just two TEs on the roster and elevating a third from the PS, so they could possibly stash all 3 backup TEs on the PS.
OK, so Firkser is worse than any other #3 TE in the entire league. No one would be so weak at #3 TE that they wouldn't want to try out Firsker for 3 weeks. Maybe it's true. If so, I hope that Sokol is on the 53.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back