Peak: 2007
Last Gasp: 2009

2010 - 2013
Peak: 2010
Last Gasp: 2013

2014 - 2018
Peak: 2016
Last Gasp: 2018

The peaks representing that general collection of Patriots at their best and the "last gasp" being them on the final fumes of that incarnation before a reset is needed.

Even at their "last gasp", the Pats are still in SB contention (aka 2006/2013 Pats still making AFC Championship game) though they clearly are not a peak form of that era.

The 2017 Pats seemed like the final time this era of Pats were truly elite (Gronk being Gronk, Amendola being playoff Amendola, Deion Lewis, etc.) yet this squad still has a shot via coaching and favorable circumstances (potential HFA) that they created for themselves.

I often think of it as 2 eras (first SB dynasty followed by second) but you're right at a granular level it's more divided than that. I know it's a broken record but the sustained top level success and being a (the) major contender year after year after year is simply unprecedented for this long. The list of records is just insane. I actually feel like it doesnt get enough attention lol. I wonder if after all is done with BB and Bradys Patriots when people look back it will be realized further how dominant this 2 decade run has been. You still see a lot of cheatriots nonsense on the web, but I feel as if the last 2 titles silenced a lot of that idioicy...not all though .

2001-2007 - To me, the 2007 team is the last gasp of the original dynasty, there were a lot of big names from the 2004 team on the 2007 team still. Especially that defense: Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Warren, Samuel, Wilfork, Seymour... basically they gave the offense a shot in the arm in the hopes that it could push them over the top one more time.

2008-2013 - By any sane standard there are alot of good teams here, but these are kind of the lost seasons by our ridiculous double-dynasty standards. 2008 Brady is hurt, 2009 the team is just kind of a mess, 2010-2013 they're better but never quite able to put everything together.

2014-2018 - Dynasty II, suddenly we have real defense again 2014-2016, and Brady pulls out some next level clutch magic. The 2015 team might have been the best of the bunch but for injuries down the stretch.

2001-2007 - To me, the 2007 team is the last gasp of the original dynasty, there were a lot of big names from the 2004 team on the 2007 team still. Especially that defense: Bruschi, Vrabel, Harrison, Warren, Samuel, Wilfork, Seymour... basically they gave the offense a shot in the arm in the hopes that it could push them over the top one more time.

2008-2013 - By any sane standard there are alot of good teams here, but these are kind of the lost seasons by our ridiculous double-dynasty standards. 2008 Brady is hurt, 2009 the team is just kind of a mess, 2010-2013 they're better but never quite able to put everything together.

2014-2018 - Dynasty II, suddenly we have real defense again 2014-2016, and Brady pulls out some next level clutch magic. The 2015 team might have been the best of the bunch but for injuries down the stretch.
^retweet

I look at it all as one era, the Brady era.

There have been two sub-eras though, with the major difference being the defense. From 2001 to 2008 we had a top defense. Unfortunately, Brady wasn't around for the last year.

Then from 2009 on we've had a good but not great defense, certainly not a great as the one from the early years. The offense under Brady has picked up though so the run has continued. If not for injuries in 2015 the Pats would have had their 6th SB title with three in each era.

I like to split them by linebacker:
- Bruschi era - three rings + 2007
- Mayo - Good teams not winning it all
- High - Three SB appearances, two rings

Could probably play this with slot receiver as well e.g., Troy, Wes, Jules

This is a fun exercise. I would say the 2014 team was better than 2016 though. 2014 was the last year the AFC was at full strength. Baltimore and Pittsburgh were both actually good and thankfully met each other in the Wildcard. The Colts beat the Broncos in Mile High (something we can appreciate for being extremely hard to do) and were actually a good team.

The Seahawks team we beat in the Super Bowl that year was probably a top 10, definitely top 15, all-time team. If it were any other team than the Patriots that beat that Seahawks team, it would be a Cinderella story remembered for the ages. That 2014 team had Revis, Browner, Chandler Jones, the non-freelancing version of Jamie Collins, and peak Shane Vereen on offense.

The comeback against Atlanta will always be special though, but in hindsight that Atlanta team was playing high above their actual level, though injuries have not been kind to them.

If this season ends in a Super Bowl appearance, Brady has an opportunity to end it the same way it all began: as a huge underdog to a significantly better Rams/Saints team.

Last edited:
Keep it simple and base it on a current standard which is the QB and coach.

2000-2018 BB was hired. Tom was drafted.

50 Browns, 70s Steelers, 60s Packers, 90s Cowboys, 70s LOLfins all had just one QB and coach during the stretch. 80s 49ers had 2 coaches but same QB and Seifert was Walsh's hand-picked successor

After the "last gasp" they usually retool for a good run. Listening to the radio the last few days you would think they're done for good but BB is a couple steps ahead of everyone and rebuilds.

Fun thread.

I think history will view the whole thing as the Brady/Belichick Era, 2000-20XX. With that said, I think it's two separate runs.

2001-2007: The 2007 team was special, and they got old at the absolute wrong time. They went scorched earth on everyone after the-gate-that-must-not-be-named-I, and just ran out of gas vs the Giants. The 2004 team will be remembered as one of the all-time great teams, but the '07 loss really keeps those guys from being recognized as great as they should be.

2011-present: The '11 team had no business even being in the Super Bowl, but the Ravens couldn't close it, with a dropped TD and a missed FG, and the Pats advanced. To me, this 2018 team is a lot like that team. The 2014 team was great, and, as earlier stated, the Seattle Seahawks were the real deal, but Pete Carroll blinked when Belichick played chicken. The win vs Atlanta IMO is Brady's finest moment, just picking the team up and saying they weren't gonna lose, with a lot of help from High's sack, Jules' circus catch and Atlanta's dumb play calling after Julio Jones made yet another great catch against the Pats in the Super Bowl.

As an aside, think about the great catches vs. the Pats in the Super Bowls:
  • Davis Tyree, Super Bowl XLII
  • Mario Manningham in XLVI
  • Jermaine Kearse in XLIX
  • Julio Jones in LI
Here we are, in the Tournament, again. Great, great times for us. What a great time to be a fan of this team!

I think you nailed it.

That 2010 team was so good. I loved how they played.

I feel like there have been 4 "eras" of the BB/Brady run

2001 - 2006
Peak: 2004
Last Gasp: 2006

2007 - 2009
Peak: 2007
Last Gasp: 2009

2010 - 2013
Peak: 2010
Last Gasp: 2013

2014 - 2018
Peak: 2016
Last Gasp: 2018

The peaks representing that general collection of Patriots at their best and the "last gasp" being them on the final fumes of that incarnation before a reset is needed.

Even at their "last gasp", the Pats are still in SB contention (aka 2006/2013 Pats still making AFC Championship game) though they clearly are not a peak form of that era.

The 2017 Pats seemed like the final time this era of Pats were truly elite (Gronk being Gronk, Amendola being playoff Amendola, Deion Lewis, etc.) yet this squad still has a shot via coaching and favorable circumstances (potential HFA) that they created for themselves.

It's one long run
@QuantumMechanic
@robertweathers

In my opinion it actually makes it less it a bit to try to "break" it into smaller chunks..

It is one long continuous run of insane organizational success under the same HC and QB. Saying it is a 18 year run of Ultra Success verses 3 or 4 shorter runs combined makes no sense and actually makes it seem smaller than what it really is.

Last edited:
Fun thread.

I think history will view the whole thing as the Brady/Belichick Era, 2000-20XX. With that said, I think it's two separate runs.

2001-2007: The 2007 team was special, and they got old at the absolute wrong time. They went scorched earth on everyone after the-gate-that-must-not-be-named-I, and just ran out of gas vs the Giants. The 2004 team will be remembered as one of the all-time great teams, but the '07 loss really keeps those guys from being recognized as great as they should be.

2011-present: The '11 team had no business even being in the Super Bowl, but the Ravens couldn't close it, with a dropped TD and a missed FG, and the Pats advanced. To me, this 2018 team is a lot like that team. The 2014 team was great, and, as earlier stated, the Seattle Seahawks were the real deal, but Pete Carroll blinked when Belichick played chicken. The win vs Atlanta IMO is Brady's finest moment, just picking the team up and saying they weren't gonna lose, with a lot of help from High's sack, Jules' circus catch and Atlanta's dumb play calling after Julio Jones made yet another great catch against the Pats in the Super Bowl.

If we split them out in those two brackets, it seems like the 2001-2007 had way more continuity on the defense roster, especially front seven (and the 3-4 scheme) and I guess the DBs too.

The second group seems lucky to carry 2- 3 players for any extended number of years.

But maybe I'm selectively remembering...

If we split them out in those two brackets, it seems like the 2001-2007 had way more continuity on the defense roster, especially front seven (and the 3-4 scheme) and I guess the DBs too.

The second group seems lucky to carry 2- 3 players for any extended number of years.

But maybe I'm selectively remembering...

I think, after watching the 2 Bills again, the 01-07 team did indeed have a lot of continuity on D, and a lot of them were Parcells leftovers. Willie McGinest, Ty Law, Ted Johnson, Lawyer Milloy, and Tedy were all drafted by Parcells. Cornerstones of that first run, minus the Milloy out and Harrison in.

Last edited:
Splitting hairs but why not...
My Era #1 ends in 2004 primarily because Charlie and Romeo departed. The group hug moment between Bill, Charlie and Romeo after their 3rd SB championship was the last page of NE's best era with the 2004 NEP being the franchise's greatest team.

My Era #2 begins in 2005 with brand new coordinators and the slow rebuild/replacement of aging impact players. I see 2007 as this era's peak....not the beginning of their decline. Brady's lost '08 was the beginning of Era #2's decline.

The rest is a blur to me.

Another way to answer this question: The Three Tom Brady Eras
1) 2000-2006...pre-passing rules change....Brady: game manager....then....balanced attack leader
2) 2007-2017......Pass first offense reliant on Brady's arm
3) 2018-?.....Return to the balanced attack offense

Last edited:
The Colts beat the Broncos in Mile High (something we can appreciate for being extremely hard to do) and were actually a good team. After the DeflateGate ********, the team we were playing in the AFC CG was irrelevant -- 90s Cowboys, 80s 49ers, it didn't matter. They were going to be blown out.
What are you talking about? The Deflategate scam was hatched IN the AFCCG and nobody on NE knew about it until after the AFCCG was over.

I think you nailed it.

That 2010 team was so good. I loved how they played.
I did too but history showed them to be a flawed bunch.

2000 - week 2 2001 : I am nobody
2001 - 2006 : I can do pretty well throwing to relative stiffs
2007 : I am not a system QB
2008 : I learn about pliability
2009 - 2013 : my teammates keep changing
2014 - 2017 : I am GOAT and I will show people how much I care
2018 : Jimmy’s gone .... think I’ll care less

Splitting hairs but why not...
My Era #1 ends in 2004 primarily because Charlie and Romeo departed. The group hug moment between Bill, Charlie and Romeo after their 3rd SB championship was the last page of NE's best era with the 2004 NEP being the franchise's greatest team.

This x 1000.

2004 really was last year where the D was dominant, too. It all fell apart after '04:

-Tedy Bruschi suffered the stroke and was never the same
-Ted Johnson retired
-Roman Phifer was gone
- Ty Law was gone in FA
- Rodney Harrison blew out his knee early next year

It was never the same after 2004. I remember Brady, in 2005 training camp, looking around camp and saying on camera "...a lot of new faces" with such despondency. You knew 2005 wasn't going to be the same.

My Era #2 begins in 2005 with brand new coordinators and the slow rebuild/replacement of aging impact players. I see 2007 as this era's peak....not the beginning of their decline. Brady's lost '08 was the beginning of Era #2's decline.

I agree with this too. From 2005-08 you had an an aging Defense that was stout vs the run, but not as great vs the pass (or blitzing) due to the age of those inside LBs and SS.

You needed the offensive to carry the team, but it wasn't till 2007 that you really had this and it disappeared really quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes