PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2013 NFL Combine Thread

Boy did Tenessee produce some physical specimens this draft. Hunter, Patterson and Rogers. Wide Receiver U at its best in a long time.

The speed of Patterson and Hunter and the explosion of Rogers and Hunter are off the charts.

Overall depth is crazy as well. Think we'll see 10 receivers go in the first 2 rounds? Wouldnt doubt it.

3-Cone times are in for WR's:

Moe, T.J.
Missouri
WO 6.53

Wilson, Marquess
Washington St.
WO 6.65

Boyce, Josh
TCU
WO 6.68

Rogers, Da'Rick
Tennessee Tech
WO 6.71

Spadola, Ryan
Lehigh
WO 6.72

Swope, Ryan
Texas A&M
WO 6.76

Wheaton, Markus
Oregon St.
WO 6.80

Sanders, Ace
South Carolina
WO 6.81

Bailey, Stedman
West Virginia
WO 6.81

Thompkins, Kenbrell
Cincinnati
WO 6.88

Harper, Chris
Kansas St.
WO 6.89

Goard, Tyrone
Eastern Kentucky
WO 6.90

Patton, Quinton
Louisiana Tech
WO 6.91

King, Tavarres
Georgia
WO 6.91

Vernon, Conner
Duke
WO 6.93

Harrison, Mark
Rutgers
WO 6.99

Williams, Terrance
Baylor
WO 7.01

Smith, Rodney
Florida St.
WO 7.03

Lemon, Alec
Syracuse
WO 7.04

Robinson, Denard
Michigan
WO 7.09

Sampson, Lanear
Baylor
WO 7.10

Mellette, Aaron
Elon
WO 7.11

Kaufman, Brandon
Eastern Washington
WO 7.11

Woods, Robert
USC
WO 7.15

Davis, Marcus
Virginia Tech
WO 7.15

Not sure why the likes of Justin Hunter, Tavon Austin and Deandre Hopkins aren't on the list.

Very surprised at Robert Woods' time. Based on that, he might fall off the board altogether.

Marquess Wilson becomes very interesting as late round value with a good 3-cone on top of everything else.

I know I'm biased, but I'm pretty sure that Markus Wheaton will be close to the top of the Patriots WR board. He's ticked every box in terms of what the Patriots look for measurables wise; speed, 3-cone, vert. He's top 10 in every test save the broad jump.

3-Cone times are in for WR's:

Wheaton, Markus
Oregon St.
WO

I know I'm biased, but I'm pretty sure that Markus Wheaton will be close to the top of the Patriots WR board. He's ticked every box in terms of what the Patriots look for measurables wise; speed, 3-cone, vert. He's top 10 in every test save the broad jump.

Dude was a natural out there today. Unfortunately now if Hopkins is gone by 29 and if they really like him, they are looking at having to either take Wheaton at 29 or trade back with the first or up with the second to get him. Doubt he lasts till the end of the 2nd round.

The kid just did everything right today.

There are so many good times, I'm starting to wonder about the surface. Indy used to bad ...... anybody have info on this track :confused: ?
It sounds like "Pro Day" and maybe that's the point, to get more people to show up.

Looking back at the numbers the following are pretty much perfect in terms of ideal Patriots measurables (40, 10 yd split, vert, 3-cone):

Markus Wheaton
Ryan Swope

Swope scores better than Wheaton. I wonder if his tiny hands are a factor though.

Da'Rick Rogers almost qualifies as perfect but his 10 yard split is poor (1.67)

Marquess Wilson is also very good although his vert 34.5" is fairly average.

Others

Maybe Quinton Patton (not so great 40 or Vert)
Justin Hunter (no 3-cone)
Tavon Austin (Poor Vert, no 3-cone)
Chris Harper (Good except his 40 time could be better)
Mark Harrison (not great 3-cone)

Looking back at the numbers the following are pretty much perfect in terms of ideal Patriots measurables (40, 10 yd split, vert, 3-cone):

Markus Wheaton
Ryan Swope

Swope scores better than Wheaton. I wonder if his tiny hands are a factor though.

Others

I've been high on Chris Harper for a while. Strong body, catches well.
I liked what I saw of Swopes in games, very dependable and clutch.

Markus Wheaton
Ryan Swope

Others

Even though Rogers didnt have the best split, he did have a great 3 cone and is obviously very explosive seeing his broad jump and vertical. I think hes the kind of target we need. Someone who doesnt need a match up to get it. Big, physical with a huge catching radius. He and Hopkins are probably my favorites in terms of play style and how they'd fit in.

Tons of talent at WR. Excited to see DBs now.

I liked Harper and Swope impressed me, but those hands..
Hopkins on the other hand will for sure do some damage in the NFL with those mitts.

I've been high on Chris Harper for a while. Strong body, catches well.

I think Harper is strongest in short range areas, a magnificent slot prospect.

Have people seen Maliciah Goodman's measurements?

6'4"
276lbs

36 3/8" arms
11" hands

:eek:

Throw on his LSU tape, and he'd be well worth a mid-round pick.

Have people seen Maliciah Goodman's measurements?

6'4"
276lbs

36 3/8" arms
11" hands

:eek:

Throw on his LSU tape, and he'd be well worth a mid-round pick.

How were his numbers and drills?

I didn't get to see many of the WR positional drills, but looking through the numbers two guys stood out to me.

Da'Rick Rogers- Tennessee Tech- 6'2" 217lbs, 32 3/4" arms and 9 1/2" hands
Rogers had a really solid official 40 time of 4.52 (4.44U), but the thing that stoud out to me, apart from the bench press he was in the top 5 of every other drill.

Vert Jump: T1st- 39.5"
Broad Jump: T2nd- 11'0"
3 Cone: 4th- 6.71
20 yard shuttle: 5th- 4.06
60 yard shuttle: 5th- 11.31

He showed he is a top notch athlete to go with being a quality WR, so the upside is immense. He obviously has character issues, but he could be a steal in this draft.

The other guy that really stood out to me, and to be honest I had never heard of was T.J. Moe from Missouri.

T.J. Moe- Missouri- 5'11" 204lbs, 30 1/8" arms and 9 7/8" hands (thats pretty big)

Moe didn't wow anyone with his 40 time (officially 4.72), but he certainly showed quickness and surprising strength.

Bench: 1st- 26 reps
Vert Jump: T10th 36"
3 cone: 1st- 5.63 (thats fast)
20 yard shuttle: 1st- 3.96 (thats fast too)
60 yard shuttle: 1st- 10.87 (thats really fast! fastest in recent years)

What this tells me is that while he may not have great top end speed, he is extremely quick with amazing change of direction ability. He destroyed the likes of Tavon Austin and Marquise Goodwin in the 3 cone and shuttles at a higher weight and bigger frame. This screams slot WR to me so I looked a bit deeper to try and find some video and scouting reports on him.

I couldn't find too much tape on him, but I liked what I did see. This guy is a pure slot WR and not just a short guy people put there (like Tavon Austin). He is tough, physical and very tough to cover inside. He had a huge sophmore year with Blaine Gabbert at QB (92 rec, 1042 yards and 6 TD's) but that production really dropped with the change to a more running QB. This is what NFL.com says about him

STRENGTHS Compact, and solid frame. Works well over the middle, showing the toughness to hold onto the ball after taking a hit. Physical and aggressive route runner. Reliable hands. Good quickness in and out of his breaks.

BOTTOM LINE Moe is a tough, gritty wide receiver. He's built to play the slot receiver position, due to his compact build, toughness, and physicality. While he will likely never be a standout player, it's tough to imagine that he won't fight himself onto a roster.

With that kind of change of direction ability, solid hands and route running ability I think he could be a potential replacement for Wes Welker down the road (and its not just because he is short, white and slow). Give him a few years to adjust to the NFL (hopefully on the practice squad) and he could be a really good player. I don't care about the slow 40 because the incredible quickness numbers he put up are much more important for the slot.

I didn't get to see many of the WR positional drills, but looking through the numbers two guys stood out to me.

Da'Rick Rogers- Tennessee Tech- 6'2" 217lbs, 32 3/4" arms and 9 1/2" hands
Rogers had a really solid official 40 time of 4.52 (4.44U), but the thing that stoud out to me, apart from the bench press he was in the top 5 of every other drill.

Vert Jump: T1st- 39.5"
Broad Jump: T2nd- 11'0"
3 Cone: 4th- 6.71
20 yard shuttle: 5th- 4.06
60 yard shuttle: 5th- 11.31

He showed he is a top notch athlete to go with being a quality WR, so the upside is immense. He obviously has character issues, but he could be a steal in this draft.

The other guy that really stood out to me, and to be honest I had never heard of was T.J. Moe from Missouri.

T.J. Moe- Missouri- 5'11" 204lbs, 30 1/8" arms and 9 7/8" hands (thats pretty big)

Moe didn't wow anyone with his 40 time (officially 4.72), but he certainly showed quickness and surprising strength.

Bench: 1st- 26 reps
Vert Jump: T10th 36"
3 cone: 1st- 5.63 (thats fast)
20 yard shuttle: 1st- 3.96 (thats fast too)
60 yard shuttle: 1st- 10.87 (thats really fast! fastest in recent years)

What this tells me is that while he may not have great top end speed, he is extremely quick with amazing change of direction ability. He destroyed the likes of Tavon Austin and Marquise Goodwin in the 3 cone and shuttles at a higher weight and bigger frame. This screams slot WR to me so I looked a bit deeper to try and find some video and scouting reports on him.

I couldn't find too much tape on him, but I liked what I did see. This guy is a pure slot WR and not just a short guy people put there (like Tavon Austin). He is tough, physical and very tough to cover inside. He had a huge sophmore year with Blaine Gabbert at QB (92 rec, 1042 yards and 6 TD's) but that production really dropped with the change to a more running QB. This is what NFL.com says about him

With that kind of change of direction ability, solid hands and route running ability I think he could be a potential replacement for Wes Welker down the road (and its not just because he is short, white and slow). Give him a few years to adjust to the NFL (hopefully on the practice squad) and he could be a really good player. I don't care about the slow 40 because the incredible quickness numbers he put up are much more important for the slot.

what? Tavon didn't run the 3 cone but if he did Id bet everything I own that nobody would have beat his time. His change of direction isn't matched by anybody.

As for the guy who im really high on. Mark Harrison is a legit 6'3 with a 4.47 40 and a 38.5 inch vert. He had to play with some terrible QB's at Rutgers but as far as vertical threats go, he has to be up there. He does a great job of going up and getting the ball. Exactly what we need and he should be around in the mid rounds.

what? Tavon didn't run the 3 cone but if he did Id bet everything I own that nobody would have beat his time. His change of direction isn't matched by anybody.

Coulda, shoulda woulda. He chose not to compete so you can't give him any recognition for that. Moe did compete, in every drill and was the clear winner in all the change of direction drills. Austin did run the 20 yard shuttle, and considering he is faster and has a better 10-yard split than Moe, if he had better change of direction ability he would have had a faster shuttle time. That was not the case and Moe was the fastest at the combine in that drill.

Ziggy Ansah runs an excellent 4.62. Bye bye Ziggy.

You liked Ansah as a potential pick? I know the guy is super athletic but i'm kind of unsure about him.

And Hunt with the 4.65

Crazy

You liked Ansah as a potential pick? I know the guy is super athletic but i'm kind of unsure about him.

I love Ziggy. Best pass rusher in this draft by a mile.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back