PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 Combine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: * The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

Regardless of Dowling's health, you can never have enough good DB's. I see BB drafting one or two more in this draft.
I think BB will draft two and wouldn't be surprised seeing both #63 and #94 being DB's.

Regardless of Dowling's health, you can never have enough good DB's. I see BB drafting one or two more in this draft.

I agree, the question is where. Would we draft a top 64 CB knowing that we have our starters on the edges? That's high for a backup. Hosely and Boykin might qualify because they offer a quality return game and also project better as nickel guys.

I agree, the question is where. Would we draft a top 64 CB knowing that we have our starters on the edges? That's high for a backup. Hosely and Boykin might qualify because they offer a quality return game and also project better as nickel guys.
I agree because players like Boykins can be a cb and replace Edelman and be a threat on punts and kickoffs. Real curious if Janoris Jenkins is still available at 27 or 31 will the Pats take him.

I disagree completely. Most top 64 draft picks are lucky to become backups. Even round 1 picks are no slam dunk. I am with the other posters, you can never have enough dbs. High class problem to have strong competition for the 5 CB slots.

At camp last year the Patriots camp starters looked like:
Safety:Merriweather, Sanders
CB: Bodden, McCourty
Slot: Butler, Ras Dowling

A lot can change, it is not like there are four Hall of Fame players in the Patriots secondary.

Go back and watch him on film. He can't separate.

Chris Owusu just posted a 4.31.....

If McNutt ran a 4.42 he's a 4.42 guy, the ability to quickly change directions is a different issue.

Apart from maybe Stephen Hill and Stephon Gilmore, i've not seen anyone in the combine who's thrust themselves into first round consideration.

In no way at all has Hill ran himself into the 1st round. He ran about two or three routes in college and that's about it in a triple option offense! He's got a lot to prove in terms of route running ability before a team will reach for him there. Second round at best...still a potential third rounder.

In no way at all has Hill ran himself into the 1st round. He ran about two or three routes in college and that's about it in a triple option offense! He's got a lot to prove in terms of route running ability before a team will reach for him there. Second round at best...still a potential third rounder.

Is that because of this:

But because of his lack of experience running the full route tree and reading coverages, he is going to enter the league as a raw talent that needs a lot of coaching. The ceiling with this player is just as high as any receiver in this class, yet he will likely be available in the second round.

That's from a scouting report on Demaryius Thomas, No 22 overall to the Denver Broncos.

If Dontari Poe or Michael Brockers are worth first rounders with their rawness, I cannot for the life of me see why a potential TD machine isn't. Poe and Brockers are going first round purely on there huge upside.

Is that because of this:

That's from a scouting report on Demaryius Thomas, No 22 overall to the Denver Broncos.

If Dontari Poe or Michael Brockers are worth first rounders with their rawness, I cannot for the life of me see why a potential TD machine isn't. Poe and Brockers are going first round purely on there huge upside.

Thomas was a McDaniels brain fart. He drafted Demaryius Thomas and traded into the first for Tim Tebow that year...nuff said.

Thomas was a McDaniels brain fart. He drafted Demaryius Thomas and traded into the first for Tim Tebow that year...nuff said.

The two players that won them a playoff game in overtime. Nice brainfart.

Realistically, the Ravens, Texans and 49'ers are all looking for WR's and the Giants draft philosophy centres around favouring WR's, CB's, DE's in the first round, in particular, very athletic types. Then at the top of the second round there's Cleveland, Rams, Vikings and Jaguars all with WR as a major need. all it takes is one of the them to have a "brain fart" and pick him in the first or trade up for him. Teams falling in love with a high upside athletic marvel - that's never happened before.

LOL WHAT? The biggest knock on Irvin is that isn't on the field for run plays at all and you want to put him in arguably the most important role to stop the run?

Really? I'm glad your not shopping for the groceries. Gotta think outside the box. The MLB position is not only stopping the run. I see him as a Michael Boley type. He's never going to be a run stopper. I would put him in a spot where he can use his ability use his size and athleticism. With his speed/size you could have someone that can match up on a bigger pass catching TE. You could even drop him down on the outside on clear passing plays and let him use that first step he has. As a convet, obviously, he would need to be coached up. this staff has a good track record in this department.

Mccourty (age 24)
Arrington (age 25)
Dowling (age 23)
Moore (age 22)

This is a young and very promising group of CBs. This group (minus Dowling) played good against arguably the best WR core in the league with IHEDIGBO at safety!

I just don't see the purpose of a CB in rounds 1-2 when you have four young guys that all have potential. Look how much Arrington has improved from ST player to a good #2 CB.

If we get a real safety back there, this could be a hell of a group.

Last edited:

The two players that won them a playoff game in overtime. Nice brainfart.

Realistically, the Ravens, Texans and 49'ers are all looking for WR's and the Giants draft philosophy centres around favouring WR's, CB's, DE's in the first round, in particular, very athletic types. Then at the top of the second round there's Cleveland, Rams, Vikings and Jaguars all with WR as a major need. all it takes is one of the them to have a "brain fart" and pick him in the first or trade up for him. Teams falling in love with a high upside athletic marvel - that's never happened before.

LMAO...because that one playoff win makes them first round hits? Of Course not. Neither are first round hits by a long, long way!

LMAO...because that one playoff win makes them first round hits? Of Course not. Neither are first round hits by a long, long way!

Bagging on either of them makes much less sense than praising them, however.

Bagging on either of them makes much less sense than praising them, however.

But using Thomas as an example of why Hill should be a first round pick isn't really justifying the point any further either.

You forgot to add "yet". Their careers aren't over.

But using Thomas as an example of why Hill should be a first round pick isn't really justifying the point any further either.

I didn't use it as a justification for "should" but for why he "might" be taken first round. You said he absolutely wouldn't.

Mccourty (age 24)
Arrington (age 25)
Dowling (age 23)
Moore (age 22)

This is a young and very promising group of CBs. This group (minus Dowling) played good against arguably the best WR core in the league with IHEDIGBO at safety!

I just don't see the purpose of a CB in rounds 1-2 when you have four young guys that all have potential. Look how much Arrington has improved from ST player to a good #2 CB.

If we get a real safety back there, this could be a hell of a group.
That's not a bad point, but your missing the most important factor. In today's NFL you cannot have TOO many defensive backs. The key to stopping today's passing offenses is the ability to play tight man coverage and rush the passer with 4 guys With all the motions and spread offenses, and the growing accuracy of the QBs in the league, a guy like Chase Minnefield, or Trumain Johnson? (the tall FS/CB from Montana) would seem like a great addition.

Now then add a high end veteran S to that mix, like you suggest (Goldston, Griffith, Nelson) and you have the makings of a much better secondary next season, and a VERY good to excellent secondary over the next few years after that

It's glaringly obvious the Janzen Jackson just doesn't care. What a waste of talent. He's off my board.

Fleming on the other hand opened my eyes with his athleticism. I knew he could play, but I didn't now he was that quick. He's a must draft.

If Jenkins doesn't go crazy he's going to be the best corner in the draft.

Really? I'm glad your not shopping for the groceries. Gotta think outside the box. The MLB position is not only stopping the run. I see him as a Michael Boley type. He's never going to be a run stopper. I would put him in a spot where he can use his ability use his size and athleticism. With his speed/size you could have someone that can match up on a bigger pass catching TE. You could even drop him down on the outside on clear passing plays and let him use that first step he has. As a convet, obviously, he would need to be coached up. this staff has a good track record in this department.

LOL Michael Boley is a Weakside LB. You're spewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News