PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 Combine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: * The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

I'm not sure CB was the problem last year. It wasn't great obviously but I think Bill said on a number of occasions they were competitive at those spots and a lot of the completions took place in the centre of the field between the linebackers and safeties.

The revolving door of players was at safety, and that is the spot that needs upgrading. Unless there was amazing value, I don't really see a first round CB as a priority right now.

I'm not sure CB was the problem last year. It wasn't great obviously but I think Bill said on a number of occasions they were competitive at those spots and a lot of the completions took place in the centre of the field between the linebackers and safeties.

The revolving door of players was at safety, and that is the spot that needs upgrading. Unless there was amazing value, I don't really see a first round CB as a priority right now.

It comes down to the fact, in my eyes, that we just weren't consistent with our pressure. I lost count how many of our sacks were in fact coverage sacks!

We seem to be under this impression because Carter and Anderson were both double digit sack guys our pass rush was excellent. In fact, we only had 4 more sacks than in 2010, the D Line was as frustratingly inconsistent as it was in 2010 and people just don't look at the fact the sacks were just spread around more through the team that year.

I don't think we're absolutely effed up at corner. McCourty's slump doesn't worry me yet, Arrington will be fine in the slot and Dowling I LOVE. Sterling Moore I love too...IMO I was on his bandwagon before anyone after watching him play for Oakland in preseason. As soon as he was cut I was urging us to pick him up. I said he had a future in the league after preseason and he definitely does after watching him develop. Providing we don't ahve an abundance of injuries I think we'll be fine adding just a safety or a hybrid player who can do both.

The issue is we're primarily a zone team and we don';t have the D Line to do it. Those completions you saw were QBs picking apart our zones in relatively clean pockets and it'#s something I saw too much of in 2011. This is why I don't think I would lose sleep over paying a man like Mario Williams. The guy is a machine and will automatically make this defense better on his own. Zone coverage doesn't work unless you can pressure the QB...and we didn't do it enough.

When Carter got hurt there goes our Pass Rush but we know he is a older guy who can't play forever...Marc Anderson is a one trick dime a dozen pony.

The drop off from Carter to Anderson wasn't nearly as bad was we all thought it was going to be when Carter went down. Please watch the games.

That's not a bad point, but your missing the most important factor. In today's NFL you cannot have TOO many defensive backs. The key to stopping today's passing offenses is the ability to play tight man coverage and rush the passer with 4 guys With all the motions and spread offenses, and the growing accuracy of the QBs in the league, a guy like Chase Minnefield, or Trumain Johnson? (the tall FS/CB from Montana) would seem like a great addition.

Now then add a high end veteran S to that mix, like you suggest (Goldston, Griffith, Nelson) and you have the makings of a much better secondary next season, and a VERY good to excellent secondary over the next few years after that

I think it comes down to how you value the current CBs on the team.

Ras-I-Dowling: It's obvious here, a top 20 pick talent CB that has injury issues. If he stays healthy, he is probably a #1 CB in this league, if he's injured he's useless.

Devin Mccourty: All-Pro his rookie year, terrible the first 10-12 weeks of 2011, then he was solid the rest of the year. We all hope this offseason he returns to All-Pro form but we'll all be happy if he can become a solid #2.

Kyle Arrington: Showed alot of improvement from 2010 to 2011. Yes, alot of his picks were gifts, but he displayed good, not great coverage throughout the season. He was great in the superbowl on Cruz. He's an average #2, but he's suited for the slot.

Sterling Moore: An UDFA that showed plenty of skills. His pure coverage skills are lacking and need great improvement, but he has something many players don't, instincts and playmaking. He's not afraid to get physical with a WR and press the boundaries of PI. What can he become long term? Who knows, but a great guy to have as a #3/#4 and to deal with injury issues.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At best (Dowling injury free/Mccourty bounces back) we have two #1 CBs paired with a great slot CB and a kid that has plenty of potential. At worst (Mccourty stinks it up, Dowling on IR) we are stuck with Arrington and Moore.

I'll gladly take a CB in round 3 or 4, but with deep threat WR, OLB, DE, and S as big needs, I wouldn't take one in the first two rounds.

EDIT: Minnefield is projected 3rd round now, wow, that'd be a good pick there.

Last edited:

My only problem with a cb in the first is this. Those guys aren't any better than McCourty and Dowling. Waste of an asset IMO.

I agree. At least the CB position has youth & potential; the Pash-Rushing position, however,
could potentially be the worst group on the team if Anderson & Carter aren't re-signed.
Even in the unlikelihood that both are re-signed, I would still feel that whoever remains of Branch,
Mercilus or Perry at OLB/DE, or of Brockers, Cox or Reyes at DE/DT should be Bill's choice at 27;
whoever is remaining at 31 should be the next one.

Last edited:

The drop off from Carter to Anderson wasn't nearly as bad was we all thought it was going to be when Carter went down. Please watch the games.

Yes Anderson made some plays but he was easily neutralized by Good Offensive Tackles...don't want him back as Starter ok as a Back-up though.

It's generally quite excellent. Here, make up your own mind: Jamell Fleming vs Iowa 2011 - YouTube

McNutt catches a few passes on him, but for the most part Fleming played one heck of a game. Hits hard, covers aggressively, makes plays on the ball--he looks like the total package.

Not bad; I don't know yet, however, if he's worthy of 27 or 31. 48? Now that's a different story.

When Carter got hurt there goes our Pass Rush but we know he is a older guy who can't play forever...Marc Anderson is a one trick dime a dozen pony.

Except that Anderson proved he wasn't a "one trick pony" as you say as he performed better against the run than many thought he would. Now, he'll never be confused with Mike Vrabel or Willie McGinest, in terms of his ability to set the edge, but he's not Monty Beisel either..

Last edited:

Except that Anderson proved he wasn't a "one trick pony" as you say as he performed better against the run than many thought he would. Now, he'll never be confused with Mike Vrabel or Willie McGinest, in terms of his ability to set the edge, but he's not Monty Beisel either..

Well PLAYED, Brother BrOOnz!! Double Word Score!!
jester.gif
:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call