PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 Combine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suprised jerry franklin and tramain thomas werent invited. Glad childs got a shot though.

Will be a big week for Ryan Broyles and possibly Jared Crick, Alshon Jeffrey, Stephen Hill.

By the sounds of things there were many interesting omissions eg Donnie Fletcher, Brandon Brooks, Adrian Hamilton.

NFL Combine Snub List | Buffalo Bills Draft

I don't think Donnie Fletcher was a surprise omission... He was totally outclassed in the Senior Bowl..I wouldn't be surprised if his stock has fallen significantly because of it..

Any early indication on talent depth this year. Deep 1st round talent like '10...or thin like '07?

Any early indication on talent depth this year. Deep 1st round talent like '10...or thin like '07?

Not as thin as 07, but not deep like '10 either.. At least not in my opinion. I think there may be 3-5 players with 1st round talent who slip into the 2nd round. Not including Mark Barron. Who knows how far he'll slip with the double hernia surgery.

Hoping Kirkpatrick has a disappointing combine which, combined with his recent arrest, will push him into our hands.

Also think Alshon Jeffery's 40 time will impact his stock more than the average prospect.

I look at drafts in terms of shades of blue chips, red chips and white chips. I see this draft as heavy on blue chips and very light on red chips and average on white chips.

In this draft a see 1 Voilet Chip in Luck. Best college QB I have seen since Manning. In a class all by himself. Once in a generation QB.

Next I see 5 blue chip prospects. OT Kalhil USC; OT Reiff Iowa; CB Clairborne LSU; WR Blackmon Ok State and QB Griffin of Baylor.

Then come the red chips. In a normal draft I expect to see 30 to 40 red chips players, but in this draft I only see about 16 to 18 red chips. Which means that if you draft after #25, you get the same type player as if you draft #35.

So what does this mean for the Pats. It means that unless teams between #7 and #26 take gambles on non red chip players, we have no real incentive to stay in the first round.

Fortunately I have identified several players that teams will probably over draft, thus allowing a red chip player to fall to us. Players like WR Jeffries of SC; QB Tannyhill of Texas A&M; QB Weedon of Ok State; NT Poe of Memphis and DE/OLB Mercilious of Illinios.

In an ideal draft:

Red Chip DE Brockers falls to #16 and we trade #31 and #48 to move up and take him.

Houston takes Poe and Dallas takes Tannyhill.

This allows Red Chip prospect DE Cox to fall to us at #27.

At #63 we take White chip OLB Curry

We trade #94 to whomever for a 2nd rounder next year

And we end the draft with FS Iloka from Boise St.

* The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

30 Minutes to GO!!! :rocker:

I thought it would be appropriate for us to carve out a space dedicated to observations...

Side Note: I've been cranking out my VASTLY improved ~ and doubtlessly much more offensively controversial!! ~ Scouting Reports on the top 256 or so, over the last few weeks..I'm Half way there, and I hope to consume mass quantities of Crack and finish them by The Combine's Close of Business, after which I intend to roll them out, here, probably one position at a time. Frankly, I'd intended to get them out by now, but it's very intensive work.

Just a side note for anyone who might've thought I'd retired. No such luck!!
icon_razz.gif

Re: * The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

I'm watching the O-line running the 40, but is it just me or does David DeCastro have a giant head. Also, Cordy Glenn very impressive, breaking 5 seconds for the 40 at 345lbs.

I'm watching the O-line running the 40, but is it just me or does David DeCastro have a giant head. Also, Cordy Glenn very impressive, breaking 5 seconds for the 40 at 345lbs.

Was impressed by Baylor's Blake too - my new OC pick for the Pats. Glenn's having a great pre-draft season. Ahead of Mike Adams as far as I'm concerned.

As an aside to anyone. Last year Box O'Rocks pointed out the minimum requirements the Patriots like for O/Linemen in the drills, particularly first round O/linemen. Does anyone know which drills the Patriots like for OL's?

Was impressed by Baylor's Blake too - my new OC pick for the Pats. Glenn's having a great pre-draft season. Ahead of Mike Adams as far as I'm concerned.

As an aside to anyone. Last year Box O'Rocks pointed out the minimum requirements the Patriots like for O/Linemen in the drills, particularly first round O/linemen. Does anyone know which drills the Patriots like for OL's?

I think vertical leap is one of them to show explosion. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think most of the Pats O-lineman have around a 30 inch vert or more.

Curious to see Orson Charles at 1. He bulked up to 6'2 251 pounds and benched 35 reps!

Blake, Brewster and Glenn all had very good 10 yard splits. Also my sleeper guard prospect Kelvin Beachum very good at 1.72.

NFL Network is already annoying me. Why would they show Matt Kalil highlights instead of David DeCastro running drills. This isn't even Kalil's group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes