PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The 2012 Combine Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: * The 2012 Combine Drills!! *

Not sure. I watched him do the on field drills and he looked like ass.

For us over 18. Is that good or bad?

For us over 18. Is that good or bad?
Bad :p

And no, Hightower didn't seem to do anything but the 40 and vert. Had a good 40, though.

So for people that watched the drills today, along with the strict BB measureables for OLBs, who looks like the best fit to be a 3-4 OLB here?

Based on reading this thread it appears to be Shea McClellin.

People have problems with the following, whether it be height, speed, tape, attitude, weight, etc: Melvin Ingram, Quintin Coples, Nick Perry,Vinny Curry, Donta Hightower, Courtney Upshaw.

The knock on McLellin is that he's not great against the run or holding the edge, obvious problems for BB. Having said that, there's clearly a lot to work with and he has bulked up during this draft process. One problem might be that Tony Pauline who is respected as having good contacts within the NFL is now suggesting that McLellin might be upper second round material. Not sure BB pulls the trigger on him there.

Andre Branch is probably the best bet as he encompasses pretty much everything BB wants from an OLB and he performed well at the combine. One issue is that he put up a 7.19 3-cone. the consensus seems to be that under 7.00 is the predictor for an elite pass rusher so he may never become that.

Here's a name for you, Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State. Some facts:

6'4"
275 lbs
33 3/4" arms

So he's got the ideal size and length.

didn't have a great 40 (4.89) but had a very good 3-cone (7.07) and was middling in the other drills. here's Wes Bunting on him:

He possesses good size for the position with a naturally longer set of arms. He also coils up into his stance well, comes off the ball low and does a nice job extending his hands into contact as a run defender. He showcases violent hands and a strong base when asked to shed. He also has the ability to stack and shed on the edge, hold the point of attack and work his way toward the football. Crawford will get a bit upright at times when asked to defeat slide down blocks away from his frame, but for the most part he keeps his legs under him, can shed and exhibits good range when asked to close for this size.

He is still a developing pass rusher. Again, he coils up into his stance well and for his size he has an above-average first step. However, he is a linear rusher who doesn't quite possess the closing speed to threaten the edge consistently and he struggles to drop his pad level around the corner. He does a nice job at times extending his arms, creating a bit of a pop, but isn't the type of laterally gifted athlete to quickly shed and explode up the field. Crawford too often gets tied up through contact and needs to develop more confidence in his pass-rushing repertoire. He comes off the ball low, but doesn't exhibit much change of direction to his game off his speed rush. However, he does have the ability to change directions, as he looks natural on T/E stunts coming inside, extending his arms, being violent and working through the play. He's a former JUCO player who is still developing at the position and might need a little more time than most.

Impression: I like his skill set. I think he's going to develop quickly at the next level and he has the ability to be a solid three down lineman with some time. He isn't there yet, but as a prospect Crawford has some real upside and displays the kind of blue-collar pass rushing mentality that I like with a powerful element to his game on contact.

He might just be a 4-3 end, I didn't see if he was asked to do LB drills today, but his size and 3-cone time make him interesting to me. Probably looking at a rd 3-4 grade.

I was gonna post this weeks ago but didn't have the heart to break their man crush on the guy. Looks like a lost puppy on a a 10 lane highway.

To be fair, he got a little better as the game went on, but he's horrible in the first two minutes of the video. Went off my draft board as soon as I saw that.

Everyone has bad games. Remember when Mayo disappeared nearly the entire game BEFORE his 5 year extension? This board was going crazy.

Everyone has bad games. Remember when Mayo disappeared nearly the entire game BEFORE his 5 year extension? This board was going crazy.

He never disappeared. He played solid football and was one of the soft spoken leaders on the field. I think people were upset because he wasn't forcing turnovers and sacking the Qb like the they were expecting.

The knock on McLellin is that he's not great against the run or holding the edge, obvious problems for BB. Having said that, there's clearly a lot to work with and he has bulked up during this draft process. One problem might be that Tony Pauline who is respected as having good contacts within the NFL is now suggesting that McLellin might be upper second round material. Not sure BB pulls the trigger on him there.

Andre Branch is probably the best bet as he encompasses pretty much everything BB wants from an OLB and he performed well at the combine. One issue is that he put up a 7.19 3-cone. the consensus seems to be that under 7.00 is the predictor for an elite pass rusher so he may never become that.

Here's a name for you, Tyrone Crawford, DE, Boise State. Some facts:

6'4"
275 lbs
33 3/4" arms

So he's got the ideal size and length.

didn't have a great 40 (4.89) but had a very good 3-cone (7.07) and was middling in the other drills. here's Wes Bunting on him:

He might just be a 4-3 end, I didn't see if he was asked to do LB drills today, but his size and 3-cone time make him interesting to me. Probably looking at a rd 3-4 grade.

Tyrone Crawford - DE - Boise State - YouTube

His movement off the snap doesnt seem that good, it often seems he's the last guy on the line to move.

I was gonna post this weeks ago but didn't have the heart to break their man crush on the guy. Looks like a lost puppy on a a 10 lane highway.

It actually does.

Sounds like just the guy BB would love. seriously, watch this video and form your own opinion

Zach Brown vs Missouri 2011 - YouTube

Brown certainly looked horrendous in that game. If that was all you saw of him you would think he is a 7th round/UDFA prospect. Then there are other games where he looks like a top 10 pick, so consistency is certainly an issue. While I think there are a lot of things to like about his game, his tackling and block shedding ability are not one of them. I think the tackling issue can be corrected because I think it is just technique based, but the block shedding to me is about mindset. He has the physical ability to do it because of his size, speed and use of leverage, but he didn't seem to show the physicality necessary at times. I'm not going to make excuses for the kid, but I think a lot of that had to do with the culture at UNC. I think a lot of people quit on that team over the past 2 years, so I can see him saying to himself, why should I risk my body when nobody else on the team does. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I could understand that line of thinking, and it would explain why he was much more physical earlier in the year.

I know he definitely has issues, but I can't help but be intrigued by his potential, and what BB could do with him in the NFL. I've said many times I think his best position in the NFL (on the Pats anyway) is as a big nickel safety, where he can use his rare combination of size and athleticism. I can see this kind of athlete being the next big thing in the NFL, where they are sort of a TE of the defense. Quality TE's allow an offense to be equally strong on pass and run plays without having to change personnel. While I think big, athletic LB/S guys can allow a defense to be equally as strong against pass or run without having to make substitutions. Does Brown have the ability to do this in the NFL? He certainly has the physical skills, but to me its all about how hard he works and how hard he is willing to play.

Brown certainly looked horrendous in that game. If that was all you saw of him you would think he is a 7th round/UDFA prospect. Then there are other games where he looks like a top 10 pick, so consistency is certainly an issue. While I think there are a lot of things to like about his game, his tackling and block shedding ability are not one of them. I think the tackling issue can be corrected because I think it is just technique based, but the block shedding to me is about mindset. He has the physical ability to do it because of his size, speed and use of leverage, but he didn't seem to show the physicality necessary at times. I'm not going to make excuses for the kid, but I think a lot of that had to do with the culture at UNC. I think a lot of people quit on that team over the past 2 years, so I can see him saying to himself, why should I risk my body when nobody else on the team does. I'm not saying I agree with it, but I could understand that line of thinking, and it would explain why he was much more physical earlier in the year.

I know he definitely has issues, but I can't help but be intrigued by his potential, and what BB could do with him in the NFL. I've said many times I think his best position in the NFL (on the Pats anyway) is as a big nickel safety, where he can use his rare combination of size and athleticism. I can see this kind of athlete being the next big thing in the NFL, where they are sort of a TE of the defense. Quality TE's allow an offense to be equally strong on pass and run plays without having to change personnel. While I think big, athletic LB/S guys can allow a defense to be equally as strong against pass or run without having to make substitutions. Does Brown have the ability to do this in the NFL? He certainly has the physical skills, but to me its all about how hard he works and how hard he is willing to play.

Agree with all of this. He's clearly not going to be your standard, full-time Patriots linebacker and trying to turn him into one would likely fail. But he could become an elite sub defender and would immediately improve our team. Playing him as the big nickle safety, or hybrid LB / DB, would play to his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

- As a hybrid DB / LB his responsibility would be straight forward. Either cover a man or drop into zone. This will reduce his likeliness to bite on any PA (and btw every rookie LB bites on PA, Spikes was absolutely BRUTAL his rookie year).

- As a hybrid DB / LB there won't be any stack and shed responsibilities. He won't be asked to fill and meet a rb in the hole. If anything he will face a draw in which case he's more useful than most safety's.

- My biggest concern for him in this role is his tendency to over run plays. This is easily correctable however.

I'm a huge Crick fan i think he is quick off the ball and before he got injured would be a easy 1st rounder. Would like to see Crick with the 31st pick. What i got from watching him he seems so explosive and reads the run nice also has a nonstop motor and if he cant get to the QB he tries to knock the ball down which i think is lacking from the pats the last couple of seasons. Thoughts on Crick please. Thanks

Last edited:

I would love to see Bruce Irvin here as a mlb convert.

I'm a huge Crick fan i think he is quick off the ball and before he got injured would be a easy 1st rounder. Would like to see Crick with the 31st pick. What i got from watching him he seems so explosive and reads the run nice also has a nonstop motor and if he cant get to the QB he tries to knock the ball down which i think is lacking from the pats the last couple of seasons. Thoughts on Crick please. Thanks

To be honest, I didn't have high expectations of Crick and I thought he was overrated, but he really impressed me in the drills. Unfortunately I think he is too small to play 3-4 DE here at only 279lbs. I think he can make a very good 4-3 LDE in the NFL, but I don't think it will be in New England.

Very happy with that time from Jamell Fleming - 4.43. Quick enough to run with moat receivers.

He also has huge shoulders

NE Patriots Draft is tweeting that the Pats don't take CB's with 4.50 or slower so that narrows the CB field. Only about seven kids have run faster so far.

NE Patriots Draft is tweeting that the Pats don't take CB's with 4.50 or slower so that narrows the CB field. Only about seven kids have run faster so far.

I think there will still be plenty of guys to choose from. There seem to be quite a few guys in the low 4.5's that will probably get under that mark at their pro day. But if it is true, you can take Leonard Johnson off the board.

I'm sick of Jamie Dukes, he obviously hasn't watched most of these guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes