PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

That was pass interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what many of you are missing.

Was it just jostling, hand-checking, etc.? Yes.
Was there very limitd contact in the end zone? Yes.

But, the grab at the 5 of the shoulder pad impeded him. If he hadn't been impeded, he would have had a chance at the ball.

Do they not call that typically? Well, it's hard to say. Because, if the WR is grabbed, and if there is limited hand contact, and IF the ball still lands where the WR is but he drops it, then PI shouldn't be called.

But when you yank someone, slow them down, and the ball is out of his reach, that is as clear as PI as you can see.

The slowdown on the clip is a product of the clip being changed from high speed to slower motion. The arm contact around the 5 is a product of both players extending their arms at basically the same time, not just the defender taking unilateral action. If you want to argue that the defender was guilty of DPI at that point, it's equally plausible to say that Boyce was guilty of OPI.

There was a pulling back of boyce's left shoulder pad at the 3 yard line....watch again. That combined with coming over the back WITHOUT LOOKING BACK for the ball makes it automatic PI! This wasn't vicious PI...But it does fall into textbook PI nonetheless

QUOTE=manxman2601;3673677]That s for providing the gif, I've been waiting for it.

Clearly there's contact but I do not see a 'tug' or any perceptible physical impairment of Boyce's ability to catch the ball.

Edit: the one thing that works against McFadden is that he didn't look back.[/QUOTE]

Actually this gives me an interesting thought. What if the referee responsible for making the call is allowed to review a play he felt he didn't have a good look at?
I'm sure that would open Pandora's box, but since most challenges look very different from different angles I am sure penalties calls would too.
I would not take judgment away from the ref, such as the one who made this call, but giving them the chance to see a replay and make sure what they think they saw is really what happened would be interesting.

Yes, this is of course a logical and great idea. Not exactly a new one. I'd been screaming about a rookie wage scale for years before that happened, for example. That just made too much sense, as does this idea.

It's obvious that teams should be able to contest penalties too, but only after a penalty has been called. Opening Pandora's box would be being allowed to say "so-and-so was held, and it wasn't called," and being able to challenge THAT.

Refs screw up game-changing calls every week, and this is a known fact. Makes the game very hard to watch quite a bit as a result. The worst thing is when they call back like an 80-yard TD play for a hold or whatnot, and they don't even show it on replay as though we are supposed to take their word for it.

Refs are supposedly like God out there during the game, and that ain't right. There should be some game-time accountability...we'll leave the post-game accountability question for a different discussion.

They need full-time refs too...not 60-year-old insurance salesmen. We are talking about a multi-billion-dollar enterprise, and they can't even do THAT. Maybe they don't WANT to ensure the integrity of the game, really.

All I see happening is new rules being put into place that actually give the refs MORE control over what happens. There are new ones every year, like the "pushing into the pile" rule this year, as well as how running backs can't lead with their helmets even though it's natural to lower your head when a grown man is bearing down on you at full speed.

The most ridiculous thing are some of the rules they come up with to protect players. You cannot take the violence out of what is an inherently violent sport. Look at what happened to Gronkowski this week...you can't hit 'em high anymore without worrying about drawing a flag, so you hit 'em low and perhaps take out their knees. How about the boxing community makes a rule where you can't hit the other guy in the nose? The rules are becoming ridiculous and easily open to interpretation in a million ways. Did not used to be like this.

I hate that I have to agree with Uncle Bleat, but I do. That was simply mutual jostling that WR's and CB's do routinely downfield on long pass plays.

With a name like KontradictioN, I'm sure you hate to agree. But when you're right, you are right.

By the way, when a guy's name is Uncle Meat, you don't actually have to CHANGE his name in order to insult him. Just sayin'. "Bleat?" Really? I always find that hilarious.

And if this is a terrible call, I don't see why so many people want to deny it or rationalize the most ridiculous aspects of it like a mother trying to convince herself that her butt-ugly child is beautiful. They should just admit that the Pats got lucky and feel good about it. There is no shame in that...anybody would do that if it happened to their team. The W is in its column. Instead, the defensiveness is pathological in some cases...like the defender is only allowed to be an incidental bystander in the play.

With a name like KontradictioN, I'm sure you hate to agree. But when you're right, you are right.

By the way, when a guy's name is Uncle Meat, you don't actually have to CHANGE his name in order to insult him. Just sayin'. "Bleat?" Really? I always find that hilarious.

And if this is a terrible call, I don't see why so many people want to deny it or rationalize the most ridiculous aspects of it like a mother trying to convince herself that her butt-ugly child is beautiful. They should just admit that the Pats got lucky and feel good about it. There is no shame in that...anybody would do that if it happened to their team. The W is in its column.

Try being a Dingleberry, Mr. Meat. It's not easy. But we must make do with our given names.

And I agree with you 100%

It's amazing to me that Patriots fans are arguing for a ticky tack PI call that is symbolic of THE GODDAM POLIAN RULES ENFORCEMENT CRAP THAT THREATENED TO RUIN THE GAME A DECADE AGO.

I don't want to hear that "the forehead gets call after call, so should we." We all know the old Colts and now the Broncos benefit from the most ridiculous defensive penalty calls. And it sucks! It sucked watching Manning march up the field to tie the game in Foxboro thanks to TWO ticky tack flags. It sucks when I see it any game. And yes, it sucks when it benefits the Patriots. IT SUCKS!

Does anybody remember the D from 2001 to 2004? Ya know, the Super Bowls? That D couldn't be THAT D today.

If you think the PI yesterday was a great call, than you have no business complaining about the gifts Manning continuously gets. That is the part of football that really sucks right now.

And please tell me this frame by frame breakdown of the play (ooooh look, he touched his elbow, that's a foul, I'm a basketball fan) would be happening if that was Talib getting called there. We'd be pisssed. Rightfully so.

This is what many of you are missing.

Was it just jostling, hand-checking, etc.? Yes.
Was there very limitd contact in the end zone? Yes.

But, the grab at the 5 of the shoulder pad impeded him. If he hadn't been impeded, he would have had a chance at the ball.

Do they not call that typically? Well, it's hard to say. Because, if the WR is grabbed, and if there is limited hand contact, and IF the ball still lands where the WR is but he drops it, then PI shouldn't be called.

But when you yank someone, slow them down, and the ball is out of his reach, that is as clear as PI as you can see.
As adamant as I am that there was pass interference committed, I think there IS a case thate could be made that the ball should not have been spotted on the one, but rather somewhere between the 8 and 3.

The slowdown on the clip is a product of the clip being changed from high speed to slower motion. The arm contact around the 5 is a product of both players extending their arms at basically the same time, not just the defender taking unilateral action. If you want to argue that the defender was guilty of DPI at that point, it's equally plausible to say that Boyce was guilty of OPI.

The CBS people slowed it down too? Because he was slowed down on CBS as well.

You guys are becoming more pathetic with every single post. Now we have people slowing and speeding up clips.

You guys are becoming more pathetic with every single post. Now we have people slowing and speeding up clips.

That's right. Just bury your head further in the sand.

Try being a Dingleberry, Mr. Meat. It's not easy.

LOL, no thanks.

I bet the geniuses call you boysenberry or strawberry when they express displeasure with you, God bless them...or maybe even Marion Berry, Chuck Berry, or Fred Berry.

For those 70s guys, Fred Berry was Rerun from What's Happening. He could be a Dingleberry of sorts at times:

tumblr_lz3pi9hNhU1qg26qfo1_500.gif

Stop insulting longstanding Patriot fan members of this board. Mods, please remove this contentious troll from this thread.

Stop insulting longstanding Patriot fan members of this board. Mods, please remove this contentious troll from this thread.

Who did I insult? Show me where. I mean, as long as you are speaking for them...

The adults are having a discussion here.

If a similar call was made against the Pats to end the game you guys would be furious. That was a horrible call. Much like the horrible none call in Carolina to end the game.

That crew yesterday was horrible all around.

The Jerome Boger crew...the same crew that did the Ravens/Sf superbowl non call extravaganza, the same crew that did the Jets game in Jersey this season...Goodell's catspaw.No referee or crew is THAT unintentionally pathetic.

stupid call tainted a great comeback. i had no doubt brady would give us a big W and won't give the ball back to them.

Who cares if it was a horrible call. You do know that we should have 2 more wins on our record up until yesterday anyway.

Sick and tired of us getting the wrong end of the stick with injuries and calls i literally am at a breaking point. Bill and Tom (and Ghost) are the only things keeping me upright.

The clip people were looking at had a significant slowdown, and it wasn't player related, but rather related to slowing the film down to see the lack of PI in teh ends zone. I'm sorry you think that's anything but what it was, which was me pointing that out but, again, the contact outside the endzone was mutual, and your arguments have been lousy.

Who did I insult? Show me where. I mean, as long as you are speaking for them...

The adults are having a discussion here.

Please remove this troll from the thread, mods.

Please remove this troll from the thread, mods.

For what reason? Because you have no tolerance for certain viewpoints?

Yep.

Mods...please stop Joker from cyber-stalking me. It's getting really creepy.

Next season there needs to be A LOT of rule changes in the nfl. First thing that needs to done is to clear up the whole calvin johnson rule fiasco; nobody knows what is a catch anymore! Honestly, it blew my mind Sunday that Gordon made a catch in bounds, was pushed out of bounds (getting three steps out of bounds), before falling to the ground and dropping the ball. Should have been a catch. There are countless other examples.

Secondly, they need to refine the rules for pass interference and defensive holding. Wide Receivers and Defensive Backs need to be on a level playing field. Too often I see receivers pushing off but the second a Db puts his hands on a receiver its a penalty. I want to see more physical defense.

While we are at it, why is nobody questioning the unnecessary roughness call that allowed the Patriots to make the onside kick at midfield in the first place?

Seems to me that was a clean hit. A shoulder-to-shoulder hit where Poyer hammered Edelman, but it was clean. What's he supposed to do, let the touchdown happen? Hit him real soft-like or give him a hug? He was trying to jar the ball loose or otherwise prevent a touchdown. Why did they call this? I can't see it even as a BS defenseless receiver scenario. There was no helmet contact, either. Maybe they should invent a rule that Edelman needs to be a larger person.

Tell me how this is unnecessary roughness. It was totally necessary, and seems within the rules to me. He hit the guy's shoulder with HIS shoulder:

826470086.gif

this is what set up the OTHER bad call. Unbelievable serious of events, ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick