PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tape leaker caught - maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the fact that a rumor mill site, which never hesitated to report any rumor associated with the controversy (not to mention "Randy Moss to be cut"), is hesitating to report this rumor. The only reason they aren't viewed as a tabloid site is because, when it comes to the rumor mill, they make no judgements and simply report what the rumors are.

That is simply untrue. They have often said that they are holding back details of a rumor because there is no corroboration at all or because there are conflicting stories. They tend to do so when naming a name could hurt the person in question if the rumor turns out to be untrue.

PFT has always been good about stating the general source of a rumor and their own feeling as to whether it's true. PFT is not for mindless readers who want news served to them so they don't have to think very much. (Which is apparently true of many here.)

This allows us to look at all of the ridiculous rumors they've reported (like the Moss one) and mock them for it. Without consistency Florio is just a hack with an agenda.

As are many here. PFT never actually said Moss would be cut, as many people here wrongly claim. It reported there were rumors. Tomase reported the same thing. So did others. PFT in fact said "We scoffed when we heard it ... and we agree that this sounds crazy. "

Last edited:
That is simply untrue. They have often said that they are holding back details of a rumor because there is no corroboration at all or because there are conflicting stories. They tend to do so when naming a name could hurt the person in question if the rumor turns out to be untrue.

PFT has always been good about stating the general source of a rumor and their own feeling as to whether it's true. PFT is not for mindless readers who want news served to them so they don't have to think very much. (Which is apparently true of many here.)

As are many here. PFT never actually said Moss would be cut, as many people here wrongly claim. It reported there were rumors. Tomase reported the same thing. So did others. PFT in fact said "We scoffed when we heard it ... and we agree that this sounds crazy. "

PFT is crap, and has been crap for some time now. It was crap before the Moss coverage, too. It went from being the first football site I went to for news/rumors everyday to being the last one I look at, and one I only look at very occasionally.

Last edited:
PFT is still valuable, but as I've said before, it's getting worse and worse as Florio gets more and more convinced that his own opinion matters. He's made an obvious shift to pushing himself as the product. (Excuse me, you want me to watch a video of your predictions about tonight's game? Earth to Florio, YOU ARE A LAWYER. YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL.)

I still have no problem with the Moss rumor. Not every rumor comes through. As long as it's an actual rumor in the NFL grapevine, and not Mike's worthless personal speculation, that's a-ok. And that goes with this tidbit on the leaker too.

I still have no problem with the Moss rumor. Not every rumor comes through. As long as it's an actual rumor in the NFL grapevine, and not Mike's worthless personal speculation, that's a-ok. And that goes with this tidbit on the leaker too.

I have a theory about the Moss rumor - I think the Patriots were 'playing possum' on that one. I think they saw a reinvigorated Moss through the off-season and OTAs, and they had a pretty good idea he was going to cause teams to rearrange gameplans when they finally saw him in game situations.

I have a theory about the Moss rumor - I think the Patriots were 'playing possum' on that one. I think they saw a reinvigorated Moss through the off-season and OTAs, and they had a pretty good idea he was going to cause teams to rearrange gameplans when they finally saw him in game situations.

It's simpler than that... I think they knew they needed to cut a receiver, and couldn't decide which one until the very end. Moss was a possibility. They finally decided on Reche Caldwell.

It's simpler than that... I think they knew they needed to cut a receiver, and couldn't decide which one until the very end. Moss was a possibility. They finally decided on Reche Caldwell.

Yeah...

I just picture BB on the final cut down day with two videos loaded side by side:

"Hmm...let me see, Moss or Caldwell, Moss or Caldwell... Tough one. Hey, I know. I'll flip a COIN!"

I'm one of the biggest Caldwell supporters on this board and was not high on Moss before the season, but even I can't buy what you are selling.

I have defended Florio in the past and I do believe that Moss being cut was a legitimate rumor that others have confirmed hearing independently of Florio, but I can't defend this bozo anymore. Florio has let success go to his head and, instead of providing all rumors going his way, he is starting to cherry pick rumors to fit his own personal agenda.

The tape leakage was the best thing that could have happened for the Pats.

1. "Is that it?" It showed what a farse the whole thing was.

2. I'm sure it embarassed the hell out of Goodell...especially how quickly it got out.

Not seeing the tape would have caused the casual fan to imagine all sorts of things.

I agree with you now. But, I was totally pissed at Goodell and the NFL for not securing the tape an letting it get out to the media.

The leaking is still a serious offense and I hope that the NFL is still taking it seriously and will take strong action against the one that did it.

Then like PFT you just don't get it. Florio thinks Glazer getting a scoop should have gotten more "story" attention than the fact that what was was leaked to him was evidence in an NFL investigation in the sole custody of the commissioner's office. It's about the integrity of the league office vs. a media that loves being part of a "story". Anything Goodell gets involved in that could result in disciplinary action should as a matter of course be expected to be able to remain confidential at HIS discretion or his effectiveness and the perception thereof is undermined. If somebody in his office is trading favors for favors and/or to drive an agenda, that individual needs to be made an example of - that access to information in the league offices isn't your ticket to bigger and better things.

At some point there may be things that person has access to that the league does not under any circumstances want made public, including things that could influence possible court challenges. Then it's a big deal. This episode was like a warning shot across the commissioner's bow. You aren't in control of your own offices, and in a billion dollar business that is not a position a CEO wants to be in.

I understand that this is a little bit of a black eye for the commissioners office, but there was no harm done by the public seeing the tape, was there?

If anything, it made the investigation a little more transparent.

Fellers,

I'm still betting that the source of the tape that Glazer got was closer to Goodell. In fact, likely married to Goodell.

Let's see here. Goodell had the tape. Goodell is married to a Fox Anchor. Jay Glazer works for Fox. Coincidence? Hmmmmmmm......

Sure, that's the sum of 2 plus 2.

But it ignores that
the son of a United States Senator
and public relations flack for the NYJ
... yes - the same - Roger God-ell ...
understands in his bones the need for
deniability.

If he and/or the missus dunnit ...
then somewhere squats some poor shmuck of a scapegoat
ready to take the fall
... for an as-yet-undiscovered golden parachute.

It was me.

Fellers,

I'm still betting that the source of the tape that Glazer got was closer to Goodell. In fact, likely married to Goodell.

Let's see here. Goodell had the tape. Goodell is married to a Fox Anchor. Jay Glazer works for Fox. Coincidence? Hmmmmmmm......

Respects,

This is a paranoid theory.

Yeah, Goodell's wife was just dying to embarass him. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

It's simpler than that...Caldwell had no chance of making the team amoung better talent, which is why he didn't play much with the first team from day 1 of practice camp.

OK, the sneaky, conspiracist side of me always felt the "leaker" was extremely close to Goodell, in fact was Goodell himself!!

How could that possibly make sense? Goodell knows the Pats are about to send him 500 boxes of tape and he is planning to destroy them rapidly. Everyone knows the hue and cry as is...imagine what it would be like now if that single Jets tape did not get leaked on Fox and showed the exact sideline taping everyone was alleging. The stuff people would be imaging would be 1000x worse.

Another paranoid thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back