PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Suppose Belichick gives Shanahan a call, "Wanna be OC for us?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
wont happen because if he takes an oc job he will have to pay the raiders more than 400,000$

This is a great fantasy, albeit unlikely. The only way I could see would be if Shanahan wanted something akin to a one-year sabbatical and the Patriots wanted him to come in to refine their running game and otherwise serve as a sounding board/critic/extra brain on-board. In this case, I don't think Shanahan would be the OC, just some sort of assistant such that he is not hampering the development of the internal, developing OC.

Shanahan would benefit by seeing how the Patriots do things, while getting to relax a little for a year (considering he would be essentially unpaid, since Denver would be paying the difference anyway). It could be a very nice contribution to the Patriots running game as well. It could only help Shanahan's career to have a little BB on his resume and it might be fun for him.

Can we at least get him to draft us a 2nd day RB?

Last edited:
It would also allow Shanahan to hit back at Denver, despite his press conference stating he bore no grudge against his former team and owner.

If he want to hit back at Denver he will jump at the opportunity to coach again when the former New England GM calls him.

If I was him I would rather coach KC than OC in NE.

Yeah and we all remember the front office salary structure thing that pissed Weiss off before he left.

This is the first I've heard of this - whats the deal here?

(sorry for the partial threadjack)

There's talk that Mike Shanahan will sit out for a year, but what if Bill called him? The two have an open respect for each other. Why not a dream team coaching situation with one of the NFL's most brilliant offensive minds directing Tom Brady and crew?

It would also allow Shanahan to hit back at Denver, despite his press conference stating he bore no grudge against his former team and owner.

It's unlikely but could it be possible?

A simple question ,Why would Shanahan do this since He's getting paid millions for the next three years?

Thinking about it though...with all the Pats coaches and front office guys heading off to other competing AFC franchises, who was the one guy who always managed to beat the Pats defensive schemes? Shanahan.

It's my understanding that Shanahan is still receiving a huge amount of money next year because he was fired before his contract is up. If he takes a job with another team it nullifies that contract. Why would he take a job as an offensive coordinator, people who make a million a year tops, when he will make 5 million plus next year to sit around doing absolutely nothing?

Wrong.

If he takes another job, he gets payed salary by the new team, plus the difference between the two jobs by the broncos.

It looks like Shanahan was fired because he refused to give up the GM responsibilities. Hes not going to move down to OC when he thinks he should be a full out GM/Coach.

Last edited:
No. BB plans for the future...not for one yr and he believes in promoting and growing within

He took in Dom Capers.

Shanny in KC baby ... Pioli strikes! ... just my guess.

If not Shanahan, then how about giving Gruden a ringy-dingy?

Because as of now, the Pats not only don't have an OC, they also don't have even a QB Coach.

I see nothing wrong with bringing in Shanahan (or Gruden) to coach the offense while the new QB Coach/Future OC learns the playbook & the personnel. Who knows, maybe Shanahan (or Gruden) forms a successful relationship w/BB, enjoys the area & people, and likes being away from the spotlight to concentrate strictly on teaching & game-planning. Then, after a season or 2 or 3, his HC batteries having been fully re-charged, Shanahan (or Gruden) will be ready to become a HC again, and our as-yet-to-be-named QB Coach will be ready to become our OC.

Not likely to happen, but not impossible, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News