PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stupid media: "Hopefully they dont screw Brady like last time he took a discount"

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Stupid media: "Hopefully they dont screw Brady like last time he took a discount"

Letting Branch go and not having Ghost kick a long field goal in the first half of the 07 SB are the only two bad decisions BB ever made--according to me.

I'm fine with everything else BB has ever done.

So, I'm not unsympathetic to the idea that they should never have let Branch get away. I still say it would have meant a SB ring in 06 if Branch was in there instead of Caldwell.

As for the salary cap, we don't know what it was like at the time because the Patriots like to move up incentives from the forthcoming year to max out cap room for that year to come.

My point really had nothing to do with wether letting go of Branch was a mistake as the overall point was that they didnt spend money on WR right after Brady's extension which is just blatantly not true. Yes for a small window he was left bare at WR (and whether that cost us a SB has nothing to do with this point) but without recalling the exact dates I would say no more than 16 months passed from that Brady deal to the signing of Stallworth and trades for Moss and Welker.

It would suck if we have to wait 16 months for a WR but its not like they didnt use his savings last time to get him WRs why wouldnt they this time. And I suspect this time 16 days wont even pass between Brady's restructure and WR deal which I assume will be Wes.

re: Stupid media: "Hopefully they dont screw Brady like last time he took a discount"

that was a long time ago, so I wanted to do a little research to find out just how insulting that 3/20 offer to branch was coming off his incredible 80/1000/5 superbowl mvp career year in a time when the wr franchise tag was 6m.

I dug up some paychecks of a few other receivers around that time:
reggie wayne - I already noted the 6/40 deal he signed that year making him the third highest paid wr behind moss and harrison

marvin harrison - 82/1146/12
re: harrison's new 6 yr deal
So what does it all mean? In our view, it's a two-year (i.e., 2004 and 2005) deal that will earn Harrison a total of $14.75 million in new money.

steve smith (car) - 103/1563/12
Mar 1 2004
Signed a 6 year $26.5 million extension with Carolina

donald driver - 86/1221/5
Before the season, Driver agreed to a four-year, $17 million contract through the 2009 season and paid the Packers back with the most productive year of his career at age 31.

anquan boldin - 102/1402/7
Jul 31 2005
Signed a 6 year $23.5 million extension with Arizona

torry holt - 102/1331/9
Prior to the 2003 seasons Holt agreed to a 7-year $42 million contract extension that included a $12.5 million signing bonus

ocho
- 97/1432/9
Apr 21 2006
Signed a 6 year $35.5 million extension with Cincinnati

santana moss - 84/1483/9
May 4 2005
Signed a 6 year $31 million extension with Washington

terrell owens - 47/763/6 (in 7 games -- on pace for 107/1747/13)
Mar 18 2006
Signed a 3 year $25 million contract with Dallas (DAL)

My point really had nothing to do with wether letting go of Branch was a mistake as the overall point was that they didnt spend money on WR right after Brady's extension which is just blatantly not true. Yes for a small window he was left bare at WR (and whether that cost us a SB has nothing to do with this point) but without recalling the exact dates I would say no more than 16 months passed from that Brady deal to the signing of Stallworth and trades for Moss and Welker.

It would suck if we have to wait 16 months for a WR but its not like they didnt use his savings last time to get him WRs why wouldnt they this time. And I suspect this time 16 days wont even pass between Brady's restructure and WR deal which I assume will be Wes.

I don't think it's a matter of being cheap. I think they misread the situation. Those 12 months that went by were very important months. That Patriots team was the best in football, and Branch would have put them over the top. Now, I understand the Patriots didn't want to pay that much to him, but IMO, he's in sort of a Vince Wilfork category. A good team guy who never causes trouble, but even more importantly, he's a key cog to the offense. Vince at $10 million really is maxing out. And Branch at $7.5 million that Seattle gave him is also maxing out.

When you realize that they could have signed Branch for Duane Starks' contract, you should give the Patriots credit for shelling out the savings from Brady's contract, while dinging them for not giving the money to the right guy.

The Patriots should have also understood Branch's personal situation. He shells out hundreds of thousand each year for his son. Imagine looking at another 40 years of that. And your agent and taxes are going to take a chunk of your new contract. Branch had no decision there, he did what was best for his family. This wasn't another Ty Law "have to feed my family" situation. It was different.

I have heard this comment a few times since the Brady restructure and it makes me want to rip out my hair out. Not sure what his name is but I believe I heard it first from the new guy in the DA slot.

They are referring to Branch being traded after Brady restructured that time. And it is such a stupid comment because yes they did make the move for Branch and leave Brady thin at WR for one year but it was only for one year and the following year they bought Brady Wes, Moss, Stallworth, Gaffney and then the year after that they gave Moss a new deal too.

They spent a ton that time to make sure Brady was happy and they will do the same again this time hopefully it doesnt take a year to find the right guys again but I know they didnt then nor will they this time just pocket the savings.

The Patriots will be screwing Brady if they don't re-sign Welker and cut Lloyd.
There is no way they will find suitable replacements. Fans who think they
will go after Wallace are having pipe dreams. The difference this year is
that Brady is in the latter stages of his career. There aren't very many years
left to make up for lost opportunities.

The Patriots will be screwing Brady if they don't re-sign Welker and cut Lloyd.
There is no way they will find suitable replacements. Fans who think they
will go after Wallace are having pipe dreams. The difference this year is
that Brady is in the latter stages of his career. There aren't very many years
left to make up for lost opportunities.

Are you trying to piss me off by making basically the same statement?
They didn't screw Brady then when they let Branch go the made a mistake using the money elsewhere and for one year and then spent a ton over the next 2 year's on Wes and Moss. If Wes and Lloyd are gone and they don't try to replace them like they replaced Branch with then maybe you could say they are screwing Brady but my point is they didn't then and won't now. Just can't let the year slip away this time.

Are you trying to piss me off by making basically the same statement?
They didn't screw Brady then when they let Branch go the made a mistake using the money elsewhere and for one year and then spent a ton over the next 2 year's on Wes and Moss. If Wes and Lloyd are gone and they don't try to replace them like they replaced Branch with then maybe you could say they are screwing Brady but my point is they didn't then and won't now. Just can't let the year slip away this time.

March 16th is the final day to pick up LLoyd's bonus. We should know a
little more by then about the wide receiver situation. Free agency begins on
March 12th but teams are permitted to contact player's agents a few days befoe FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes