PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steven Jackson!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting question. I'd have to look at the stats, but Jackson never came off to me as a HOFer, even as good as he's been at times.

It's interesting because he only made 3 Pro Bowls and no All-Pro teams but was very good for a very long time. Even with two big games to end the season, he'd pass Fred Taylor on the all-time rushing list but some names higher than him include Frank Gore and Edgerrin James.

Though note that the only HOF eligible player currently higher than him on the all-time rushing list not in the Hall of Fame is Edgerrin James (Corey Dillon is the next non-HOFer and ended his career with 140 fewer rushing yards). And Jackson has an additional 3,663 receiving yards; he needs 60 more yards to pass Bettis in yards from scrimmage and with 250 would pass Eric ****erson. Right now the only non-HOF RBs with more yards from scrimmage are Edgerrin James, Warrick Dunn, and Tiki Barber.

Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson have more rushing yards, but are active, and Jackson has more yards from scrimmage than either of them; Ladainian Tomlinson has more rushing and receiving yards but he's merely waiting for eligibility because he's a first ballot lock.

After looking at the stats, I think a Patriots Super Bowl this year really is the difference maker for Jackson's Hall of Fame resume. He's definitely more deserving than Bettis, and he won't be a first-ballot guy, but if he goes out on top then he'll make it sooner rather than later.

After looking at the stats, I think a Patriots Super Bowl this year really is the difference maker for Jackson's Hall of Fame resume. He's definitely more deserving than Bettis, and he won't be a first-ballot guy, but if he goes out on top then he'll make it sooner rather than later.

I would agree, ONLY, if he makes an impact in the playoffs...

It's interesting because he only made 3 Pro Bowls and no All-Pro teams but was very good for a very long time. Even with two big games to end the season, he'd pass Fred Taylor on the all-time rushing list but some names higher than him include Frank Gore and Edgerrin James.

His problem was he arrived when the "Greatest Show on Turf" regime was old and collapsing . Faulk sapped the last playoff years before his retirement, and Jackson, as good as he was, ran behind the deteriorating offensive line that got Bulger driven into PTSD and an early retirement.

Jerome Bettis was beaten down after 2 seasons with the Rams. He needed the Steelers to revive his career. Jackson played the good soldier for a crap team for 9 seasons that sniffed 1 non-losing season and was the offense with a streak of 8 1000 yard rushing performances. Corey Dillon had similar statistics (not as good a receiver), but got out of the bad scene two years earlier and racked up 36 TDs in 3 years with the Pats (a playoff team). Jackson went from one stinker to the Falcons, another stinker.

I am looking forward to seeing what he has in the tank. Been a fan of his for a while.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
it's been over 700 touches since his last fumble. Damn.

He's a hall of famer if Jerome Bettis is.

I never got the Bettis selection. Maybe it was a down year and he was buddies with some of the voters? I can't explain it.

Oh my gosh, does that sound terrible to me! My first small, 2 year associate's degree was in computer networking, and I thought I was going to lose my mind. Everyone I knew constantly asked me about PC related issues, and I couldn't have possibly cared less. I just hated it.

Damn Sup, how could you not like (sometimes) working in a cold as a meat locker windowless concrete cell block like building until midnight to find out all you needed to do was check the 'Check Here To Make It All Work' box. And if it works you're anonymous but if it fails at the wrong time you're the well known former employee :) (advice to anyone thinking of PC/network type occupation. The job is not right for you if you want a normal 9 to 5 type schedule)

I never got the Bettis selection. Maybe it was a down year and he was buddies with some of the voters? I can't explain it.

He's #6 all-time in rushing yards, #11 all-time in rushing TDs, and #20 all-time in yards from scrimmage. He was an easy HOF call. He just had to wait for the right induction year.

He's #6 all-time in rushing yards, #11 all-time in rushing TDs, and #20 all-time in yards from scrimmage. He was an easy HOF call. He just had to wait for the right induction year.

He's a compiler. I don't think compilers should be in the HoF. A RB should have a least a 3-4 year dominant stretch to qualify IMO. I don't think Bettis was ever dominant.

He's a compiler. I don't think compilers should be in the HoF. A RB should have a least a 3-4 year dominant stretch to qualify IMO. I don't think Bettis was ever dominant.

In football, more than any of the other 'big 4' U.S. sports, durability counts as a skill. I'm not a Bettis fan, but he belongs in the HOF. If he was a liquored up kicker getting in on longevity, I might have a different take, but we're talking about a RB who was able to take enough of a pounding to become the league's all-time #6 rusher. Sayers is in for a period of, basically, 5 seasons, and has fewer than 5,000 career rushing yards. He's the other side of the coin. I think there's a place for both sorts.

think jackson is shot honestly.
hope im wrong..first time he's ever been on a good team.

Sayers is in for a period of, basically, 5 seasons, and has fewer than 5,000 career rushing yards. He's the other side of the coin. I think there's a place for both sorts.
What's your take on Terrell Davis then? He had his career cut short by blowing out his knee in 1999 and he did benefit significantly from the Broncos zone-blocking scheme. But in his four healthy seasons he amassed yards like few others have. In those four years he rushed for 6413 yards and had 56 rushing touchdowns and in the eight playoff games he rushed for 1140 yards and 12 touchdowns.

I've always been a Jacksonian guy

ash-vs-evil-dead.jpg

I've always wanted to spend some time in a city so nice they named itJacksonville.
-Ash Williams, Season 1 - Episode 4

think jackson is shot honestly.
hope im wrong..first time he's ever been on a good team.
I think the hope here is that he can be fresh enough for 10-15 rushes per game for five games

What's your take on Terrell Davis then? He had his career cut short by blowing out his knee in 1999 and he did benefit significantly from the Broncos zone-blocking scheme. But in his four healthy seasons he amassed yards like few others have. In those four years he rushed for 6413 yards and had 56 rushing touchdowns and in the eight playoff games he rushed for 1140 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Terrell Davis should be in the HOF for sure. Just like if Gronk career got cut short today, he should be in.

TD wasn't just good for that period of time, but dominant.

Interesting question. I'd have to look at the stats, but Jackson never came off to me as a HOFer, even as good as he's been at times.

You know what screws him Supa? He never played on a playoff/winning team.

He got in b/c he had a nickname and was on a pretty good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents