PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve Young on PTI: Pats are the only Must Watch TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

raduray

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
On today's PTI, as part of the discussion of what ails the NFL, Steve Young gives a great analysis on what differentiates the Patriots from the rest of the NFL. Starts at 11:20.

Warning, this is an ESPN link for those of you with a delicate constitution.

Change Of Mind

He is right. Who is the draw right now? The stories are no longer writing themselves. You have to make stuff up to get yourself up for games.

It's brutal...there's usually only a couple of games that look at all compelling each week.

Glad I heard it. Glad PTI listeners heard it.

The only compelling things about the NFL on field product this season:

The Pats
Dallas, and anticipating how Jerry Jones will screw up Dak Prescott
Minnesota defense
Raiders
Jets futility.

That's it. Everything else is meh.

The Pats
Minnesota defense
Raiders
Jets futility.

the last 3 don't do anything for me.

OK Steve Young basically says: "The Patriots are better because Belichick demands that the players study the playbook instead of watching TV and demands they understand it, and shames them in front of the team if they don't get it."

Kornheiser: "Can I ask the obvious question, is that legal under the CBA or is this another case of the Patriots trying to go outside the law?"

KORNHEISER JUST ASKED IF THE PATRIOTS WERE CHEATING BY DEMANDING THEIR PLAYERS KNOW THE PLAYBOOK.

Maybe he was joking, but the audio didn't sound like it (and it's a dumb joke too). But if he was serious...that might be the worst cheating accusation I've ever heard. And there have been so many of them. WTF.

I guess that's what I get for going to ESPN. I like what Steve Young had to say, thanks OP, but god d%#*!@t I can't believe Kornheiser actually said that.

I guess its back to the good old days of sports gambling! Over-unders, sides and 3 team parlays. Where the NFL story lines write themselves! :)

I still remember him and schelerth when spygate broke, were so stupid saying, pats are taking the videotaping done from the sideline into halftime and making adjustments watching the tape and it then becomes so easy for the QB to play knowing where the blitz etc is coming from.

OK Steve Young basically says: "The Patriots are better because Belichick demands that the players study the playbook instead of watching TV and demands they understand it, and shames them in front of the team if they don't get it."

Kornheiser: "Can I ask the obvious question, is that legal under the CBA or is this another case of the Patriots trying to go outside the law?"

KORNHEISER JUST ASKED IF THE PATRIOTS WERE CHEATING BY DEMANDING THEIR PLAYERS KNOW THE PLAYBOOK.

Maybe he was joking, but the audio didn't sound like it (and it's a dumb joke too). But if he was serious...that might be the worst cheating accusation I've ever heard. And there have been so many of them. WTF.

I guess that's what I get for going to ESPN. I like what Steve Young had to say, thanks OP, but god d%#*!@t I can't believe Kornheiser actually said that.
Kornheiser has been a Deflategate skeptic. I didn't take offense to the question. It was a follow on to a discussion of how practices are limited by the CBA. It was a set up for Steve Young to address it head on - It's within the rules.

Peyton on GameDay ads better than most of the games

Kornheiser has been a Deflategate skeptic. I didn't take offense to the question. It was a follow on to a discussion of how practices are limited by the CBA. It was a set up for Steve Young to address it head on - It's within the rules.

OK well you are apparently much more serene than I am :)

But I guarantee there's no other team where, if somebody says "that guy goes home and studies his playbook", then someone else would say "Are you sure that's not cheating??"

The true point of watching the NFL for me was to watch the sport played at the highest level. Only the Patriots deliver that these days.

Well... we could set up a 16 game season between just Alabama and Cleveland, and see if Cleveland can finish above .500...

The Pats
Minnesota defense
Raiders
Jets futility.

The futility of the Jets is always compelling to me, as a Patriots fan.

I typically look forward to two things on Sunday: The Pats winning and the Jets puking all over themselves.

I still remember him and schelerth when spygate broke, were so stupid saying, pats are taking the videotaping done from the sideline into halftime and making adjustments watching the tape and it then becomes so easy for the QB to play knowing where the blitz etc is coming from.

For awhile, I thought that's what they were doing because that's how the media explained it. I laughed it off as if you're not cheating, you're not trying. It wasn't until a decent amount of time later that I read some intelligent articles that explained what was really going on. Unfortunately most of America still believe they were watching the video at halftime and I can't blame them because that's how it was originally explained. But I do blame the media, ESPN, for not doing their jobs, but running with an entertaining narrative instead of reporting the truth. And the of course the ahole owners for complaining the punishment wasn't enough. Also, Kraft failed to stand up for his team.

OK well you are apparently much more serene than I am :)

But I guarantee there's no other team where, if somebody says "that guy goes home and studies his playbook", then someone else would say "Are you sure that's not cheating??"

In the context of the discussion of the CBA limits, I took it as a question whether homework was within the rules. But I take your point :)

Well... we could set up a 16 game season between just Alabama and Cleveland, and see if Cleveland can finish above .500...
This is fun to joke about, but you'd be amazed at how many people are stupid enough to think Alabama could win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back