PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steve DeOssie not a Maroney fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am.

He's a 25 year old in a contract year. He knows he has one real chance to get paid. I don't expect him to be a pro bowler but I do expect to see the best Maroney we've seen so far.

I don't love Maroney, but I'm not about ready to get 3YPC BJGE in his place.

Our RB talent is bottom 10 in the league. Simple as that. The only reason Brandon Spikes is on the team is because Montario Hardesty RB got drafted ahead of our pick.

That said, I don't ever worry about of offense. Tom is a HOFer and has been playing like it this preseason. You can put anyone out there with him and he'll find a way to win.

There's not a RB on our roster that would be the "#1 guy" on any other team in the league.

If the Patriots had a #1 guy, I'm sure he'd get #1 guy carries.

This. The last time we had a #1, he got his share of carries. People who criticize the committee system here in New England should look at the top ten rushers from last year and tell me whether or not we have someone of that caliber.

Chris Johnson
Steven Jackson
Thomas Jones
Maurice Jones-Drew
Adrian Peterson
Ray Rice
Ryan Grant
Cedric Benson
Jonathan Stewart
Ricky Williams

There's also something to be said for not putting all the eggs in one basket. If Chris Johnson goes down, it's the Javon Ringer show. If Maroney goes down, it's the Fred Taylor show. I know some people are enamored of the players that get the gaudy fantasy stats, but given the likelihood of injury in the NFL, some insurance goes a long way. We don't really need a RB that can take it to the house on every play when we've got TFB throwing to Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, et al. It would be nice, but it's not critical to the success of the offense.

Last edited:
Our RB talent is bottom 10 in the league. Simple as that. The only reason Brandon Spikes is on the team is because Montario Hardesty RB got drafted ahead of our pick.

First time i've ever logged in from work before to respond to idiocy.

Possibly the biggest facepalm moment of all time.

Not only a stupid statement but no way of proving it.

It's like me saying, the only reason Brandon Deaderick is on this team is because Ndamukong Suh was already drafted.

Have always felt that Welker/Edelman are part of our running game..

Now with the TE's this will add to this short pass game...

With that being said, DeOssie is about marketing himself.. folks like Felger, Borges et al have all made statements that draw attention to themselves and are not based on anything except conjecture and personal belief.. DeOssie is no different.

Any of these "controversial" comments are about self promotion of the commentator, and not really about anything based on facts....

It is the state of today's media, "The Medium has become the Message".

I hope he plays well this season. We don't really need a 1500 yard back (though that would be nice). With the other pieces in place, we only need him to force defenses to respect the run and that will open up a lot on offense.

If the backs average 3.5ypc, Pats will be fine.

They have too many weapons on offense...

Can't wait to see the TE's get involved.

Maroney stays.

On tonights Comcast Sportstonight, Steve DeOssie said that "Laurence Maroney is not a large part of the Patriots plans this year."

Further, DeOssie said that Maroney is only on this team because of the ages of Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris.

Ok, I kind of have to laugh at these statements. If there is one place the Patriots value themselves is in their depth chart.... Especially at RB!! The ONLY people NOT in the patriots plans this year are those who were not signed or who do not make the 53 man roster!

Whether Maroney has 1000+ yd and 10+ TD season is entirely up to HIM and the Injury gods.. He will have his opportunity to walk the walk.

I dont think "the last year of his contract" or "last chance to prove himself" make any difference. Fact is I think he actually tries hard..

So whether he is able to bring together the 3 years of fotball experience and exceed the standards in the NFL and actually become the 1st round pick everyone was hoping for is a matter of "we'll just have to wait and see"

But if he is on the roster and on the field come game day I fully expect that BB expects he will do his job! I dont "think" anyways BB or any NFL coach says aaaahhh lets just keep him on the team incase someone else gets injured??

Last edited:
On tonights Comcast Sportstonight, Steve DeOssie said that "Laurence Maroney is not a large part of the Patriots plans this year." Further, DeOssie said that Maroney is only on this team because of the ages of Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris.

Considering Maroney was on the team before them doesn't that make that statement null and void?

That said, I don't ever worry about of offense. Tom is a HOFer and has been playing like it this preseason. You can put anyone out there with him and he'll find a way to win.

Well, it looks as if Hardesty will be missing his rookie season and spending his time rehabbing a blown ACL:

The initial diagnosis following Hardesty's injury is that the impressive rookie suffered a torn ACL, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Further tests will be taken today to confirm the news...

UPDATE: The diagnosis was confirmed. Hardesty is out for the year.

Initial diagnosis for Browns back Montario Hardesty isn't good | ProFootballTalk.com

Last edited:
There can be no comparison this year. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out.

oops, I read it the wrong way, Doh! I thought you ment "hahaha he's out for the year the piece of glass we should never draft a rb"

I enjoy the antics of Steve and Fred at times and find their video breakdowns informative. That said, Steve is an airhead with his statement here. Attention mongering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes