PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sterling Moore released

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 1/4 of the experiments stuck. We didn't see Ninkovich at DE, Ihedigbo at 3-4 OLB, or Koutouvides on defense at all.

Actually Slater wasnt playing much either except when Ihedigbo was out.
We did see what I would consider an 'experiment' with a heavy dose of base 34, with Carter at RDE and Anderson at ROLB (I actually think he was flipping to weak side but the Skins stayed strong right to exploit this) and they were basically eaten alive in the running game.
I expect if we continue this we will see, at the least, someone else (Cunnigham, Moore?) at OLB, and possibly Ellis or Deaderick at RDE.
Today we played Wilfork at LDE Love at NT and Carter at RDE. We had Ninko at LOLB (I presume strong OLB in reality) Mayo, Fletcher and White subbing in (and getting manhandled) at ILB and Anderson at ROLB.
This may work against a team that doesnt run the ball well, but today, after starting out strong, it was far from stout.
Perhaps adding Spikes, Cunningham and may subbing Deaderick, Brace or Ellis in for Carter may help.

Perhaps adding Spikes, Cunningham and may subbing Deaderick, Brace or Ellis in for Carter may help.
Jermaine Cunningham was placed on Injured Reserve and Shaun Ellis was a complete waste of $4 million dollars.

Brandon Deaderick would be far more suitable at right defensive end in a 3-4 defensive alignment with Andre Carter at right outside linebacker.

We did see what I would consider an 'experiment' with a heavy dose of base 34, with Carter at RDE and Anderson at ROLB (I actually think he was flipping to weak side but the Skins stayed strong right to exploit this) and they were basically eaten alive in the running game.
I expect if we continue this we will see, at the least, someone else (Cunnigham, Moore?) at OLB, and possibly Ellis or Deaderick at RDE.
Today we played Wilfork at LDE Love at NT and Carter at RDE. We had Ninko at LOLB (I presume strong OLB in reality) Mayo, Fletcher and White subbing in (and getting manhandled) at ILB and Anderson at ROLB.
This may work against a team that doesnt run the ball well, but today, after starting out strong, it was far from stout.
Yeah, that's another thing that we're not talking about nearly enough, the return of the 3-4. Anderson was showing off some versatility, which makes me think he's a good candidate to be resigned regardless of next year's defensive scheme, as opposed to Carter who's as good as gone if they're going back to the 3-4.

Yeah, that's another thing that we're not talking about nearly enough, the return of the 3-4. Anderson was showing off some versatility, which makes me think he's a good candidate to be resigned regardless of next year's defensive scheme, as opposed to Carter who's as good as gone if they're going back to the 3-4.
How about the New England Patriots trade up in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft and select a true 3-4 outside linebacker?

Courtney Upshaw, Alabama, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Anderson may have been the worst player on the field today.
He made one nice play, meeting the FB at the point of attack, shedding him, and making a tackle. But other than that he was manhandled all day. I would estimate the Skins averaged close to 10 yards a carry running right at him. It appears they made a game plan decision to stay strong right so that Anderson would be next to Carter, a DE 35 lbs to light for the 34 next to an OLB who gets blocked in the running game like he is a corner.
I don't know how much versatility you are showing by proving you suck at a position you are put in at.

Actually Slater wasnt playing much either except when Ihedigbo was out.

I saw Slate an digbo on the field together a fair amount. I know, I was looking for them. It was hard to find them because the camera usually follows the play.

Please tell me who the other "safeties" were.

I saw Slate an digbo on the field together a fair amount. I know, I was looking for them. It was hard to find them because the camera usually follows the play.

Please tell me who the other "safeties" were.

Jones.
I could be wrong because I don't watch for personell live but I do not remember seeing Slater on the field much before Ihedigbo was injured.

Jones.
I could be wrong because I don't watch for personell live but I do not remember seeing Slater on the field much before Ihedigbo was injured.

He was, believe me. When someone who's number i don't recognize looks so inept I google the roster on NFL.com, I remember him. Didn't notice Jones, noticed digbo being inept, though he at least made some tackles.

I would simply send everybody against this defense. Even if you threw it up blind, there's nobody back there to intercept it.

I would simply send everybody against this defense. Even if you threw it up blind, there's nobody back there to intercept it.
Opponent offensive play call: 4 Go Patterns on every play.

A notable tidbit from Reiss:

6. The locker for DB Sterling Moore remained intact, creating the impression that he could be back (presumably on the practice squad) if he clears waivers by today's 4 p.m. ET deadline.

Moore re-signed to PS, Malcolm Williams released...with an new opening, Moore looks like a good candidate to re-join the roster Sun and help extinguish the embers from last week's conflagration. (Would pretty much confirm that it was a mistake to replace him with Williams against Wash.)

Last edited:
:D Glad he's back

...I still don't know why he was released in the first place, I'm surprised the Jets didn't put in a claim for him with them being weak at safety even before they lost Leonhard

OK, we all agree. The Williams tryout is over.

BRING BACK MOORE!

To put it bluntly, IMHO, I'd rather have Moore taking reps at safety than Slater. And his signing would make it even more unlikely that Sergio Brown will get any reps at safety.
CHUNG, IHEDIBGO, JONES, MOORE, (SLATER) works for me. If Chung isn't back, Moore would get Slater's reps.

Let me be clear, I am not criticizing Slater in any way. He did what he was asked to do. He is OK as an emergency safety.

Last edited:
Ross Ventrone is going to be jealous. Sterling Moore and Malcolm Williams have taken over his slot as revolving door on the roster.

Patriots Release Defensive Back Malcolm Williams, Have Yet To Announce Replacement - New England Patriots - NESN.com

The Patriots released defensive back Malcolm Williams after Thursday's practice, but they didn't announce a concurrent roster transaction.

Williams, a seventh-round pick in April, was a special teamer at TCU and with the Patriots. He's been on New England's practice squad twice this season and was promoted to the active roster in time to make his NFL debut during Sunday's game against the Redskins. It's possible that Williams could return if he clears waivers.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was asked Monday if Williams had grown in his defensive role.

"He's learning it," Belichick said. "He missed a lot of time in training camp [with an injury] and then came back around the bye [week], somewhere in there. He really hasn't had a lot of opportunities, but he's worked primarily in the kicking game. I thought he did a good job there for us [against the Redskins]. It was good to have him back there. I think he gave us a few plays. Defensively, it's a process. I'd say he's further ahead in the kicking game than he is defensively."

Alright, so attempting to decode what Belichick was saying is that Williams was placed on the roster against Washington specifically for special teams (perhaps with the idea that kickoffs will not be returned with the ball traveling further at Mile High - and he therefore won't be needed there); and Williams will be replaced by somebody that will actually get on the field at safety against Denver with Chung unlikely to return this week?

Any other guesses?

......Guess he wasn't as good as everyone thought...he's not PS eligible, is he?

Guess you weren't as knowledgeable as you thought you were...... ;)

Ross Ventrone is going to be jealous. Sterling Moore and Malcolm Williams have taken over his slot as revolving door on the roster.

Patriots Release Defensive Back Malcolm Williams, Have Yet To Announce Replacement - New England Patriots - NESN.com

The Patriots released defensive back Malcolm Williams after Thursday's practice, but they didn't announce a concurrent roster transaction.

Williams, a seventh-round pick in April, was a special teamer at TCU and with the Patriots. He's been on New England's practice squad twice this season and was promoted to the active roster in time to make his NFL debut during Sunday's game against the Redskins. It's possible that Williams could return if he clears waivers.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick was asked Monday if Williams had grown in his defensive role.

"He's learning it," Belichick said. "He missed a lot of time in training camp [with an injury] and then came back around the bye [week], somewhere in there. He really hasn't had a lot of opportunities, but he's worked primarily in the kicking game. I thought he did a good job there for us [against the Redskins]. It was good to have him back there. I think he gave us a few plays. Defensively, it's a process. I'd say he's further ahead in the kicking game than he is defensively."

Alright, so attempting to decode what Belichick was saying is that Williams was placed on the roster against Washington specifically for special teams (perhaps with the idea that kickoffs will not be returned with the ball traveling further at Mile High - and he therefore won't be needed there); and Williams will be replaced by somebody that will actually get on the field at safety against Denver with Chung unlikely to return this week?

Any other guesses?

The day after each game, Patricia and Belichick get drunk. They then throw darts at a board to determine who gets cut and who gets re-signed that week. Neither of them have hit a 20 lately, so Ventrone hasn't gotten the call.

Last edited:
That's a relief. Anymore games with Matt Slater, Sergio Brown, and a banged up Ihedigbo as your only available safeties are bound to end in disaster again for the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back