PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sterling Moore released

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right. Let's just IR Chung now so we can ensure that the chances of having greater continuity in the secondary come playoff time.

Are you kidding me???

Maybe Nate Jones will start the playoffs?

When I saw the BB mic'up segment, I remember BB saying double move when Moore got beat thought they were going to fix it in the dressing room. Little did I know that his job was on the line.

dbrn661l.jpg

What does it all mean?

You're right. Let's just IR Chung now so we can ensure that the chances of having greater continuity in the secondary come playoff time.

Are you kidding me???

You must be kidding me if you can jump to that conclusion from my post.

With Chung not playing tomorrow, Moore release makes sense.

Is this sarcasm? Or are you looking at it from a special teams standpoint only?

You must be kidding me if you can jump to that conclusion from my post.

Explain then. First you say BB has made no attempt to develop continuity in the secondary and they you lament over the process of developing such continuity is drawn out with the return of Chung.

Your first point is off base. C'mon now.

You second point makes somewhat sense, but the addition Chung back in the lineup is a major upgrade over whatever continuity that replacement player had who BB NEEDED to put out there.

Last edited:
I tweeted Mike Reiss to see if Moore has PS eligibilty.

He still does. We also have an open spot on the Practice Squad.

He showed some good play at Safety (not so much at CB), so I expect to see him on the PS

Sterling Moore did not play special teams better than Sergio Brown. Brown is on the team to play special teams. His tryout at safety is long past. Even Ventrone passed Brown on the depth chart when he was here. Now it Williams who will replace Moore at safety, not Brown. Slater is probably ahead of Brown in the depth chart at safety.

He played better than Brown.

Last edited:
This is no biggie to me. Belichick decided that Williams should get a few reps at backup safety, and that Moore wasn't needed.

It is irrelevant that patsfans poster think that Moore was an adequate starter. Belichick clearly disagrees.

I do think that this means that Chung will play, although I could see us starting Jones at safety.

I think it shows us that Jones took Moore's job.

I think it shows us that Jones took Moore's job.

That was my first thought, but I've long given up trying to get a handle on what the hell is going on in the secondary.

Week 1's secondary:

Dowling (IR)
Arrington
McCourty
Chung (Injured)

Barrett (Gone)
Brown (Cast away to ST)
Bodden (Gone)

It's been a wild ride.

Going forward, we need production from McCourty, Chung, Spikes and Fletcher.
==================================================
I think that you have overstated the bottom line changes in the secondary since the beginning of the year. Three players entered the season recovering from injuries. None are presently on the team.

1) Both Ihedigbo and Molden were here to start the season. Molden had beaten out Butler and Wilhite for a roster spot at corner.
2) McCourty and Chung have been injured and should be here for the playoffs.
3) Molden and Ihedigbo have moved up on the depth chart because of injuries.
4) Jones and Williams have been added to the roster. Adding a street free agent and one of our late draftees certainly isn't unusual at this point in the season, certainly not for Belichick.

BOTTOM LINE (considering Jones a safety)
A) Dowling and Bodden didn't fully come back from their injuries.
B) Barrett (also back from IR) and Brown were failed experiments. Ihedigbo was Plan B.
C) Because of the injuries and failures, Belichick has had to scramble and has had many players come in and out each week in the secondary

COMPARED TO THE START

CORNER
McCourty
Arrington
Bodden (cut) but this was really an injury issue
Molden
Dowling (IR) as he has been almost from the beginning

SAFETY
Chung (injured)
Barrett (IR)
Brown (demoted to special teams)
Ihedigbo

SPECIAL TEAMERS (ALWAYS AVAILABLE IN AN EMERGERENCY)
Slater
Edelman

That was my first thought, but I've long given up trying to get a handle on what the hell is going on in the secondary.

Week 1's secondary:

Dowling (IR)
Arrington
McCourty
Chung (Injured)

Barrett (Gone)
Brown (Cast away to ST)
Bodden (Gone)

It's been a wild ride.

Last edited:
Sterling Moore did not play special teams better than Sergio Brown. Brown is on the team to play special teams. His tryout at safety is long past. Even Ventrone passed Brown on the depth chart when he was here. Now it Williams who will replace Moore at safety, not Brown. Slater is probably ahead of Brown in the depth chart at safety.

So, if Sergio Brown plays today, will you admit to being wrong on this?

Sergio Brown should never play a competitive snap in the NFL on this team.

Explain then. First you say BB has made no attempt to develop continuity in the secondary and they you lament over the process of developing such continuity is drawn out with the return of Chung.

Your first point is off base. C'mon now.

You second point makes somewhat sense, but the addition Chung back in the lineup is a major upgrade over whatever continuity that replacement player had who BB NEEDED to put out there.

Lament is a strong word and suggesting that I think Chung should be IR'd is even more confusing. I made an observation about the lack of continuity in the secondary and not putting stock into their performance recently good or bad. So everyone who was panicking over garbage time TD's against the Colts can relax and at the same time I wouldn't get too excited over the previous 3 wins.

I agree with both statements.

One key is "competitive snap". I have not problem with Brown playing in garbage time.

So, if Sergio Brown plays today, will you admit to being wrong on this?

Sergio Brown should never play a competitive snap in the NFL on this team.

With McCourty and Ihedigbo playing badly and with separated shoulders and getting re-injured every few plays, it made no sense to cut a guy who can play both positions. I hope BB is on the phone to Moore right now.

I agree. Also, I expect that Molden will get more time next week. McCourty is NOT ready to play.

With McCourty and Ihedigbo playing badly and with separated shoulders and getting re-injured every few plays, it made no sense to cut a guy who can play both positions. I hope BB is on the phone to Moore right now.

I remember all the toolbags on here buying into the fact that BB was "experimenting" with the defense against Indy. While I said no, Slater was sadly the best out of crap options.

What do you know, Moore is released and Slater is starting yet again. I'm sure these same delusional people are fine with the defense.

I remember all the toolbags on here buying into the fact that BB was "experimenting" with the defense against Indy. While I said no, Slater was sadly the best out of crap options.

What do you know, Moore is released and Slater is starting yet again. I'm sure these same delusional people are fine with the defense.

So 1/4 of the experiments stuck. We didn't see Ninkovich at DE, Ihedigbo at 3-4 OLB, or Koutouvides on defense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots