PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen Gostkowski "Clutch" Kick Performance (stats)

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Stephen Gostkowski "Clutch" Kick Performance (stats)

Funny. I saw a guy who had to hammer home a bunch of 50 yarders to even make this a close game in which the Pats could even think of a winning field goal. AVs season high for FGs of 50 or more yards is 3. Ghost kicked two in this game.

As for clutch, this article says he was previously 3 for 3 with the game on the line.

The offense was lousy today and created the vast majority of the problems that cost the Pats the game (dropped passes, penalties, etc.). It happens. The kicker did not lose the game by failing to go 5 for 5 on field goals, none of which were chip shots.

As others have mentioned, even Adam missed some big kicks, even in the Super Bowls. Imagine how we would have felt if we lost to Carolina with him missing 2 kicks. Luckily he had the chance to redeem himself, and he did. At the same time, Ghost has made big kicks in the past. Not as many chances as Vinatieri, but he's still done well when called upon.

Don't forget that we wouldn't even have a prayer of winning without his 4 FGs today, including two from 50+. He kept us afloat for the first few quarters and kept us in the game.

Yes, he could have won the game and he didn't. But he certainly wasn't the reason we lost. He was actually one of the reasons we even had a chance to steal the game.

I don't recall him ever kicking a FG to win a game when they were behind to win it. he kicked them when they were tied to win a game but not behind he couldn't carry Adam V. jock.
I don't ever think he has ever been in a similar position as today.
Huge difference when its a win or a loss coming off his foot.

I knew he was going to miss.Not entirely his fault the O melted down when it counted.
Love Gronk but I was kind of glad to see get humbled today in the end.
I hope the kicker is recoverable.

The D did their job again today.They really only gave up 13. Special teams cost them 7.

Funny. I saw a guy who had to hammer home a bunch of 50 yarders to even make this a close game in which the Pats could even think of a winning field goal. AVs season high for FGs of 50 or more yards is 3. Ghost kicked two in this game.

As for clutch, this article says he was previously 3 for 3 with the game on the line.

The offense was lousy today and created the vast majority of the problems that cost the Pats the game (dropped passes, penalties, etc.). It happens. The kicker did not lose the game by failing to go 5 for 5 on field goals, none of which were chip shots.

Finally...I had to get to page 3 to hear a voice of reason....If it wasn't for the 4 other field goals Ghost kicked.....he wouldn't of even had the opportunity to attempt that kick to begin with...Had Gronk not been called for a hold on the TD run...he would not have been put in that position...had they executed better on offense...he would not have been put in that position...and finally folks...it was a sucky snap that Z grabbed off his right shoulder....the fact he even got it down was amazing..nevertheless....he still should have hit it....BTW..prediction...if BB is true to form..we might be seeing a flurry of available long snappers being worked out in Foxboro this week....like.....Loni Paxton perhaps?

Last edited:

I don't recall him ever kicking a FG to win a game when they were behind to win it. he kicked them when they were tied to win a game but not behind he couldn't carry Adam V. jock.
I don't ever think he has ever been in a similar position as today.
Huge difference when its a win or a loss coming off his foot.

I knew he was going to miss.Not entirely his fault the O melted down when it counted.
Love Gronk but I was kind of glad to see get humbled today in the end.
I hope the kicker is recoverable.

The D did their job again today.They really only gave up 13. Special teams cost them 7.

The reason you haven't seen him kick when behind with a chance to win it is because yesterday was his first chance. The opportunity for a win/lose kick are pretty rare for kickers, especially those on contenders that win a lot of games and usually play ahead.

It's strange that you point that out while also mentioning Vinatieri considering we'll always remember his Super Bowl winning kicks, which were with the game tied. The Tuck Rule game in the snow? He made a huge kick just to force that game into OT, and then won it in OT, but it wasn't on one kick alone. That scenario is extremely rare.

Ghost has made kicks from behind, kicks in front, kicks when tied. The guy made his last 37 kicks in the 4th quarter. Sure, none with the one-kick-to-decide-it scenario, but he's done his job in the 4th to help us win our share of games, and if he had missed some of those, we would have lost a few more games along the way.

Not saying Ghost is better than Adam, just that he's been extremely dependable for us in the past, and we shouldn't forget it all over one miss.

The reason you haven't seen him kick when behind with a chance to win it is because yesterday was his first chance. The opportunity for a win/lose kick are pretty rare for kickers, especially those on contenders that win a lot of games and usually play ahead.

It's strange that you point that out while also mentioning Vinatieri considering we'll always remember his Super Bowl winning kicks, which were with the game tied. The Tuck Rule game in the snow? He made a huge kick just to force that game into OT, and then won it in OT, but it wasn't on one kick alone. That scenario is extremely rare.

Ghost has made kicks from behind, kicks in front, kicks when tied. The guy made his last 37 kicks in the 4th quarter. Sure, none with the one-kick-to-decide-it scenario, but he's done his job in the 4th to help us win our share of games, and if he had missed some of those, we would have lost a few more games along the way.

Not saying Ghost is better than Adam, just that he's been extremely dependable for us in the past, and we shouldn't forget it all over one miss.
If Rob Gronkowski doesn't get called for holding we win the game.
If Rob Gronkowski doesn't get called for a false start on the very next play we probably win the game.
If Tom Brady doesn't have a pass intercepted in the first quarter we probably win the game.
If Nate Ebner doesn't miss his block leading to a blocked punt and a 3 yard AZ TD drive we probably win the game.
A football game is 60 minutes, around 150 or so plays with 22 guys on the field each play. One player and one play does not win or lose a game. Just like winning, losing is a collective effort.

Not sure exactly how clutch Ghost is but here's what I know (unless I'm forgetting something):

Ghost was perfect in the 2006 postseason. He hit a game winner at SD which was a pretty long FG and had a couple more huge clutch kicks the following week that could have led to a super bowl appearance had our offense converted one first down on the second to last possession.

Ghost hasn't lost any playoff games. The closest you can say is sb42 when BB didn't have faith in him to make a 48 yarder, but that's more on BB IMo.

Before today, Ghost hasn't missed a game-deciding FG to my knowledge.

AV wasn't perfect in the clutch either. Missed a similar FG at KC in 1999 that could've made us 5-0 that year. Missed a gimme in SB38 and had another blocked which may or may not have had poor trajectory (I can't say for sure whether AV does or doesn't deserve some blame for that). Missed a big and very makeable FG in 2005 divisional round at mile high that could've cut that game to a one score lead, a huge miss at the time. Now before people jump at me, I'm not saying AV isn't better or anything like that, Ghost hasn't made the kicks he's made but at the same time he hasn't been given the chance to. But AV was not infallible as no kicker/player was. Ghost still has a chance to become a great kicker for us and until he fails consistently and in bigger games than week 2 against an NFC opponent I'm going to give him that chance.

Thanks for jogging my memory with those misses by AV. He also had a couple of early misses in the SB vs Carolina, but I think that had something to do with the turf at Houston and the Pats still ended up winning on one of his kicks at the end.

The kick that AV made in the snow bowl could go down as the best kick ever made, but it still irks the crap out of me that he left. The Pats let Robbie Gould leave because of AV. I think he might be the best in the business now

None of that means that Gostkowski won't be a stronger, more accurate kicker than AV though. He might be in the end.

Didn't Ghost miss a 27 yard FG against the Giants in November last year? That was a very big Miss.
In 2009 didn't he miss a FG that ended our chance at a comeback against the Ravens in the playoffs?
He also missed a kick against Denver thSt should have won us the game.
Didn't he mess up a kick off in the 07 super bowl?

I really can't remember a game Ghost won for us. Yesterday he was about to be a hero but he fell short.
Still a good player because other kickers miss. I just don't think other good kickers miss as much in very important situations,

This is ridiculous. The guy missed a kick. Now we are questioning his clutchness off of one kick? Maybe Mesko didn't have a good hold and it was his fault. We don't know.

I know a lot of people joked that they want Vinatieri back, but people forget that prior to he gained his reputation of being a clutch kicker in the Super Bowl that he lost the Pats several games by missing last second field goals. There were two games in the 2000 season alone.

It was a horrible kick. But let's not go overboard. As pointed out, Gostkowski has been perfect in his last three last minute field goal attempts.

AV has kicked maybe the top 4 kicks of the all time top 10 or 20 in NFL history. I remember AV missing a similar kick to Gost. back in either '97-98 against KC. And I believe AV has made a couple for the Pats in win or lose situations.

But again I believe this is the very first kick SG was asked to make in a live or die situation and he failed in perfect conditions.
I also believe BB has gone out of his way to protect him from those situations.

One Side of the Coin.

I've never understood why people "blame" a Placekicker for a loss when he misses on a Field Goal Attempt that would have tied or won a game in the final seconds. Teams execute an average of 67 plays a game on Offense and on Defense. There are far too many variables in a Kick of any distance to lay the outcome of a game on a single missed Field Goal; snap, hold, turf, wind, footing and whether the K ball hasn't been brushed (legally) enough.

Other side of the Coin.

While you don't blame a Placekicker's miss for putting a game in the wrong column, these are the situations in which Kickers distinguish themselves. There's only one (pure) Placekicker in Canton for a reason; too many Kickers are just too good and too consistent to be able reasonably to sort through them.

Since 1989, Kickers have made 90% or more of their FG attempts in a season on 69 occasions; on 16 occasions Kickers have made 95% or more of their FGA's and on on six, they have made 100% (including Shayne Graham last year, 33 for 33). For Local Reference, Gostkowski made 90% of his Attempts in 2008, Vinatieri made 93.9% in 2004, 92.9% in 2010 and 90% in 2002). And, there have been another 18 occasions when a Kicker made 89% of his Attempts.

So, it's pretty hard to distinguish among these guys with so many people kicking so well so consistently over so many years. You'd need a separate wing in Canton for Placekickers if you admitted them on stats alone.

So, it's only when a Kicker comes through time and again when a game, especially a big game, is on the line that you can sort these guys out.

That's why Adam Vinatieri will be in the HOF; no one would have "blamed" him if he had missed the 45 yarder into the teeth of a blizzard that tied the Snow Bowl and no one would have blamed him even if he had missed the 23 yarder that won that game, given the conditions; no one would have "blamed" him if he had missed the first walk off winner in a Super Bowl from 48 yards in SB XXXVI or the game winner with four seconds left from 41 yards (a familiar distance) to win SB XXXVIII, but he made them all.

So, I don't blame Steve Gostkowski for yesterday's loss, but I sure wish he had made that kick.

If Rob Gronkowski doesn't get called for holding we win the game.
If Rob Gronkowski doesn't get called for a false start on the very next play we probably win the game.
If Tom Brady doesn't have a pass intercepted in the first quarter we probably win the game.
If Nate Ebner doesn't miss his block leading to a blocked punt and a 3 yard AZ TD drive we probably win the game.
A football game is 60 minutes, around 150 or so plays with 22 guys on the field each play. One player and one play does not win or lose a game. Just like winning, losing is a collective effort.

Oh stop with the reasonable talk :) -people need some one to blame, fact is the Team deserved exactly what they got a big fat "L" The blame starts at the top and goes all the way till bottom. Defense played the best everybody else not so much. Hopefully they learn from this and we don't see another shoddy performance like this again this season.Teams lose but to lose like they did yesterday is crappy :mad:

So, I don't blame Steve Gostkowski for yesterday's loss, but I sure wish he had made that kick.

I don't blame him. But if I played on D I would be pissed.

What pisses me off the most is how the O line loses 2 pro bowl players and they could have one back over a diff. in relatively small money.
We can all see that TB is on the backside of his prime and not to have O line is reprehensible.

This is starting to remind me of the 06 season where the best QB in the world had the worst receivers in the world except now its the replacement player O Line.

Just another point. Great teams win games they were supposed to lose. The great team on the field yesterday was the AZ. Cards they were supposed lose wit a minute left in the game and they won.
Make all the excuses you want it was still the Pats who snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory when it counted.

Last edited:

Make all the excuses you want it was still the Pats who snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory when it counted.

Um, where exactly was I making "excuses" for yesterday's loss? :confused:

Um, where exactly was I making "excuses" for yesterday's loss?
I was speaking collectively including myself for the excuses not you specifically.

This is ridiculous. The guy missed a kick. Now we are questioning his clutchness off of one kick? Maybe Mesko didn't have a good hold and it was his fault. We don't know.

I know a lot of people joked that they want Vinatieri back, but people forget that prior to he gained his reputation of being a clutch kicker in the Super Bowl that he lost the Pats several games by missing last second field goals. There were two games in the 2000 season alone.

It was a horrible kick. But let's not go overboard. As pointed out, Gostkowski has been perfect in his last three last minute field goal attempts.

It is what is it and the fact is Ghost has not been in many pressure situtions when he had to make Clutch Kicks. He has been playing on a Top 5 Offense...most times we have a two score lead on any Team. A 42 yarder is a routine kick for a good kicker, Gohost is considered a Great one. Ghost Chocked yesterday plain and simple. I told my dad before the kick watch him miss this i swear to you...i am not surprised...it's Football.

It is what is it and the fact is Ghost has not been in many pressure situtions when he had to make Clutch Kicks. He has been playing on a Top 5 Offense...most times we have a two score lead on any Team. A 42 yarder is a routine kick for a good kicker, Gohost is considered a Great one. Ghost Chocked yesterday plain and simple. I told my dad before the kick watch him miss this i swear to you...i am not surprised...it's Football.

Thought he was going to miss it too. For some reason I just felt it was going to happen the way this game went.

But just because he hasn't been in many clutch kick type of situations, it doesn't mean he chokes in these situations because of one shanked kick.

Thought he was going to miss it too. For some reason I just felt it was going to happen the way this game went.

But just because he hasn't been in many clutch kick type of situations, it doesn't mean he chokes in these situations because of one shanked kick.

True...the way this game went it felt like we shouln't have one. I felt real bad for the Arizona RB that fumbled...i bet he felt relieved.

it doesn't mean he chokes in these situations because of one shanked kick.
He just did.
I hope he can redeem himself next week.Same situation.

..oh...and did I mentioned the failed 2 point conversion attempt.....:bricks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes