PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stephen Gostkowski "Clutch" Kick Performance (stats)

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Stephen Gostkowski "Clutch" Kick Performance (stats)

Didn't Ghost miss a 27 yard FG against the Giants in November last year? That was a very big Miss.
In 2009 didn't he miss a FG that ended our chance at a comeback against the Ravens in the playoffs?
He also missed a kick against Denver thSt should have won us the game.
Didn't he mess up a kick off in the 07 super bowl?

I really can't remember a game Ghost won for us. Yesterday he was about to be a hero but he fell short.
Still a good player because other kickers miss. I just don't think other good kickers miss as much in very important situations,

I think you might want to see a doctor about your memory.

Against the Giants, Ghost missed a kick at the end of the first half that would have put us up 3-0 in a game we'd eventually lose by 4. Brady completed only 57% of his passes and threw 2 INTs while losing a fumble, as does Edelman, yet despite the 4 turnovers, we're going to point out a missed kick in the first half as the reason we lost that game?

Against the Ravens, we trailed 24-0 before the end of the first quarter, Brady turned the ball over 3 times in the first half alone and 4 times overall, Baltimore rushes for 234 yards, and you're going to pick on Ghost for missing a 44-yarder while trailing 33-14 with half the 4th quarter already gone?

Against the Broncos, Ghost did miss a kick that would have put us up two-possessions but that's not the "clutch" or "pressure" kicks everyone keeps talking about because we were up by 7 at the time. Sure, we could have almost clinched that game, but everything sucked down the stretch of that game. Denver had the ball at their own 2 and drove 98 yards to tie the game up. The Pats offense stalled and went 3-and-out, then on their next drive got to midfield before Brady was sacked and lost the ball. In OT Denver won the toss and drove 60 yards to clinch it with a field goal.

He didn't even attempt a FG in the 2007 Super Bowl. The kick you're thinking about might be the kickoff out of bounds.

He doesn't really get many chances to "win" a game outright. That's part of being on one of the best teams since he started his career. Still, he's won games before for us. He did it in his rookie season against San Diego and he did it in the 2010 regular season win against Baltimore when he made a kick late in the 4th to force overtime, then won it in OT. Outside of that, I can't recall another scenario where he's had a kick to "decide" the game apart from yesterday.

Can't blame Ghost, he kept us in the game. His leg bailed us many times in the past too as far as I can remember.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Vinatieri's 53-yarder to win on Sunday.

Let's let this go, eh? Vinatieri developed into THE MAN of all time pretty much with the game on the line. He just did. Last second kick, you actually felt comfortable about it. Imagine that.

Ghost choked. Doesn't make him Satan. He's generally been very good, and hasn't had the chance much with a few seconds left. I'd bet big on him making it the next time he's in that situation. Until then, not a lot more to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back