PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers James Harrison undergoes knee surgery...expected to miss at least 6 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Steelers James Harrison undergoes knee surgery...expected to miss at least 6 game

As others have said, my concern for Pittsburg is that O-Line. If they can't gel and be a reliable wall, then Big Ben is gonna be running for his life and one more serious injury to him could be the last one.

I look at the Steelers this year in the same way that I looked at New England under Bledsoe. Drew could have won us a championship, but half the time he was running for his life, or just laying their on the field with stars circling overhead. I am honestly surprised he lasted as long as he did here before being hit in the JETS game.

It just seems to me that Pittsburg is very close to that problem and I'd hate to see Ben get seriously hurt in a game because of the O-Line.

And yeah..... there's a special dislike of Denver here. Feel free to pound them long and hard. :cool:

Re: Steelers James Harrison undergoes knee surgery...expected to miss at least 6 game

As others have said, my concern for Pittsburg is that O-Line. If they can't gel and be a reliable wall, then Big Ben is gonna be running for his life and one more serious injury to him could be the last one.

I look at the Steelers this year in the same way that I looked at New England under Bledsoe. Drew could have won us a championship, but half the time he was running for his life, or just laying their on the field with stars circling overhead. I am honestly surprised he lasted as long as he did here before being hit in the JETS game.

It just seems to me that Pittsburg is very close to that problem and I'd hate to see Ben get seriously hurt in a game because of the O-Line.

And yeah..... there's a special dislike of Denver here. Feel free to pound them long and hard. :cool:

Denver has given us some trouble over the years, so I'm all in favor of pounding them.

It's obvious that Big Ben is one tough guy to bring down, but that style of play is dangerous to his health in the NFL. I don't see him lasting much longer if he doesn't start getting rid of the ball more.

I agree with the Bledsoe comparison, although I also think that Drew took some responsibility because he had little feel for pressure. Another good comparison might be Steve Grogan.

It takes serious toughness to stand there and take a hit from some NFL behemoth that you know is coming at you for the kill. But to complete the pass it has to be done sometimes.

I think that Big Ben is the key to the Steelers' success, and at the rate he's going he may strike midnight this year.

The QB is the most important position in football.

The question comes down to how to recover.

The reality is while QB's are the most important, franchise QB's show up every year. Besides, they recently went 3-1 during his suspension.

Since being drafted in 2003, what safety has made their way into the league with Troy's skillset?

............:rolleyes::confused:..........

With a permanent loss of Polumalu, the Steelers would have to overhaul the secondary. lilloyd is definately on the optomist side of that unit. Troy makes up alot for that unit.

Likewise, while statistically dominant, over a season, the defense is not really good against elite offenses. Follow the Patriots blueprint and spread them out and they do not have the overall speed to really play in space.

Troy's playmaking ability makes up for that against lesser offenses.

Despite having such an "explosive" offense, the Steelers somehow managed to be 23rd in scoring and 25th in turnovers.

It's a great offense except for the fact they don't score points and constantly turn the ball over.

Just look at their 2009 season to see how important that guy is to the franchise.

Kontra, why are you wasting your time?

Yeah Kontra, why are you wasting your time?

Just admit you have zero clue about the subject and just move on.

This one atleast had the brains to admit that.

Yeah Kontra, why are you wasting your time?

Just admit you have zero clue about the subject and just move on.

This one atleast had the brains to admit that.

Ian, can you explain to me why this guy hasn't been banned yet?

Let's take a look at the most commonly agreed upon all time great quarterbacks, shall we?

10. Brett Favre
9. Roger Staubach
8. Steve Young
7. Dan Marino
6. Otto Graham
5. Sammy Baugh
4. John Elway
3. Bart Starr
2. Johnny Unitas
1. Joe Montana

Now let's take a look at how their teams fared immediately after their retirement with their easier-to-replace-than-safeties replacement QB's...

10. 2011 Minnesota Vikings: 3-13, last place AFC North, did not qualify.

9. 1980 Dallas Cowboys: 12-4, 2nd NFC East, Lost conference championship.

8. 2000 San Francisco 49ers: 6-10, 4th NFC West, did not qualify.

7. 2000 Miami Dolphins: 11-5, 1st AFC East, lost divisional playoffs.

6. 1956 Cleveland Browns: 5-7, 4th NFL Eastern, did not qualify.

5. 1953 Washington Redskins: 6-5-1, 3rd NFL Eastern, did not qualify.

4. 1999 Denver Broncos: 6-10, 5th AFC West, did not qualify.

3. 1971 Green Bay Packers: 4-8-2, 4th NFC Central, did not qualify.

2. 1973 Baltimore Colts: 4-10, T-4th AFC East, did not qualify.

1. 1993 San Francisco 49ers: 10-6, 1st NFC West, lost NFC Championship.

Out of all of those teams, only four teams finished with winning records, three managed to make the playoffs, and two reached the conference championship. The combined records of those ten teams is 67-78-3. One of the teams mentioned went on to a winning record due, in very large part, due to another all time great quarterback on that list taking control of the offense after he departed. So, can you replace an all time great based on this list? Sure. But the odds are stacked against you, much more so than a defense losing a top three safety in the league during his time period.

If you wish to contrast, you can always put together a list of your own with the top ten safeties and see how it stacks up. But my guess is that you'll just fire off some ultra-weak attempt of an insult and leave the thread, which is what you usually contribute to the forum. I'll smile the day that you're banned. Unfortunately, that date should have already come a LONG time ago.

Just as long as the Steelers beat the Broncos and Jets before taking that step back... :eat1:

Pats homer!!!

I find it hilarious that I make a post about the health of James Harrison and it becomes a pissing match between whether Tom Brady or Troy Polamalu's retirement would be more devastating by their respective teams.

:confused::confused:

Last edited:

Ian, can you explain to me why this guy hasn't been banned yet?

Let's take a look at the most commonly agreed upon all time great quarterbacks, shall we?

10. Brett Favre
9. Roger Staubach
8. Steve Young
7. Dan Marino
6. Otto Graham
5. Sammy Baugh
4. John Elway
3. Bart Starr
2. Johnny Unitas
1. Joe Montana

Now let's take a look at how their teams fared immediately after their retirement with their easier-to-replace-than-safeties replacement QB's...

10. 2011 Minnesota Vikings: 3-13, last place AFC North, did not qualify.

9. 1980 Dallas Cowboys: 12-4, 2nd NFC East, Lost conference championship.

8. 2000 San Francisco 49ers: 6-10, 4th NFC West, did not qualify.

7. 2000 Miami Dolphins: 11-5, 1st AFC East, lost divisional playoffs.

6. 1956 Cleveland Browns: 5-7, 4th NFL Eastern, did not qualify.

5. 1953 Washington Redskins: 6-5-1, 3rd NFL Eastern, did not qualify.

4. 1999 Denver Broncos: 6-10, 5th AFC West, did not qualify.

3. 1971 Green Bay Packers: 4-8-2, 4th NFC Central, did not qualify.

2. 1973 Baltimore Colts: 4-10, T-4th AFC East, did not qualify.

1. 1993 San Francisco 49ers: 10-6, 1st NFC West, lost NFC Championship.

Out of all of those teams, only four teams finished with winning records, three managed to make the playoffs, and two reached the conference championship. The combined records of those ten teams is 67-78-3. One of the teams mentioned went on to a winning record due, in very large part, due to another all time great quarterback on that list taking control of the offense after he departed. So, can you replace an all time great based on this list? Sure. But the odds are stacked against you, much more so than a defense losing a top three safety in the league during his time period.

If you wish to contrast, you can always put together a list of your own with the top ten safeties and see how it stacks up. But my guess is that you'll just fire off some ultra-weak attempt of an insult and leave the thread, which is what you usually contribute to the forum. I'll smile the day that you're banned. Unfortunately, that date should have already come a LONG time ago.

Ian

Maybe it's time to ban this guy.

Otto Graham has zero to do with the Steelers ability to cope with a permanent loss of Troy Polamalu.

Ian

Maybe it's time to ban this guy.

Otto Graham has zero to do with the Steelers ability to cope with a permanent loss of Troy Polamalu.

Showing how other teams coped with the permanent loss of their GOAT candidates is absolutely relevant to the conversation of whether or not the loss of Brady will be harder to overcome than the loss of Polamalu. As I said, you're more than welcome to do a similar analysis of top ten safeties in the league. Maybe, for once, we can actually have a quality debate without you turning this into, as PFIPA said, a pissing contest.

Last edited:

Showing how other teams coped with the permanent loss of their GOAT candidates is absolutely relevant to the conversation of whether or not the loss of Brady will be harder to overcome than the loss of Polamalu.

Speak slowly, the air is pretty thick in Pennsylvania.

I find it hilarious that I make a post about the health of James Harrison and it becomes a pissing match between whether Tom Brady or Troy Polamalu's retirement would be more devastating by their respective teams.

:confused::confused:

Give the guy that's holding your head and forcing you to read this an elbow in the gut. That should make him let you go.

Showing how other teams coped with the permanent loss of their GOAT candidates is absolutely relevant to the conversation of whether or not the loss of Brady will be harder to overcome than the loss of Polamalu. As I said, you're more than welcome to do a similar analysis of top ten safeties in the league. Maybe, for once, we can actually have a quality debate without you turning this into, as PFIPA said, a pissing contest.

Great

So now the anal-yst is doing anal-ysis.

Thanks for the tip.

Here's a better idea.

How about like actually study the subject of this "conversation" and attempt to draw conclusions.

It's much more pertinent than Bart Starr hanging up the strap.

There is nine years of film on the Steelers with TP on the team with some having him play well. Some when he's injured/ not playing well.

What can one conclude.

1.) Absent TP, the Steeler's secondary is well...less than ideal. TP is the playmaker. McFadden is not a playmaker. Ryan Clark can cheap shot Welker.....

Lose TP and this unit needs a remake.

2.) The Steelers get accused of being old and slow when TP doesn't play well. Why is that?

Well, he presents alot of their playmaking ability and their ability to "play in space".

Lose him and the Steelers have to draft players to "play in space" a la' Chandler Jones.

This requires multiple picks that would have to be stockpiled. Something the Steelers do not do.

Over the past decade, mediots have been dumbfounded how easy the Patriots hammer the Steelers. It's simple, BB understands TP. Negate TP, the rest follow.

3.) The same dumbfounded mediots also tell you the Steelers offense is "explosive". Explosive is great but that unit was 21st in scoring/ 22nd in turnovers.

"Explosive" except for the minor problems associated with not scoring much and always turning the ball over.

Even you should grasp that these types of numbers would not cut it with a degraded offense.

Now as far as replacing players. Perhaps this went over your head.

Since 2003, what other TP quality safeties have made into the NFL?

Who?

Have any franchise QB's been drafted?

So the Colts are going to find it impossible to replace PM?

In your world, 2008 just didn't happen?

Try specific not generic.

Great

So now the anal-yst is doing anal-ysis.

Thanks for the tip.

So now you're going with homophobic insults? The mods must love you.

Here's a better idea.

How about like actually study the subject of this "conversation" and attempt to draw conclusions.

That's exactly what I did when drawing upon other GOAT's and making comparisons. If you want recent results, Favre is on there for the Vikings. But, regardless, they're relevant comparisons. The reason you want to dismiss them is because they're destroying whatever point that you desperately think you're making. Most Steeler fans tend to be like that.

It's much more pertinent than Bart Starr hanging up the strap

No wonder you're having trouble. You have no idea what the conversation is about, even though you initiated it. Let me outline it for you...

1. Claim: Safety for the Steelers that isn't even the best of the last decade will be easier to replace than GOAT quarterback.

2. Rebuttal: GOAT quarterbacks are not easily replaced, especially not as compared to top three safeties of their decade.

3. Evidence: Putting next year results of teams that have had their GOAT quarterbacks retire.

See how that works? That's the frame for debate. Under normal circumstances, I'd expect that same frame, only in the form of safeties. But then, I almost forgot who I was "debating" with. I suspect it's because you know that your argument sucks.

There is nine years of film on the Steelers with TP on the team with some having him play well. Some when he's injured/ not playing well.

What can one conclude.

1.) Absent TP, the Steeler's secondary is well...less than ideal. TP is the playmaker. McFadden is not a playmaker. Ryan Clark can cheap shot Welker.....

Lose TP and this unit needs a remake.

2.) The Steelers get accused of being old and slow when TP doesn't play well. Why is that?

Well, he presents alot of their playmaking ability and their ability to "play in space".

Lose him and the Steelers have to draft players to "play in space" a la' Chandler Jones.

This requires multiple picks that would have to be stockpiled. Something the Steelers do not do.

More evidence that you haven't the slightest clue about what's going on here. Nobody's argued that replacing Polamalu would be easy. What IS being argued is that replacing him won't be nearly as easy as replacing Brady.

Over the past decade, mediots have been dumbfounded how easy the Patriots hammer the Steelers. It's simple, BB understands TP. Negate TP, the rest follow.

That's part of it. The other part is that the Steelers defense has been based around the zone blitz. Nobody navigates that like Brady. It's also one of the reasons the Steelers hammered us last year. They suddenly went into a bump and run scheme and relied on their three down linemen to get pressure. It worked. And, because our horrid pass defense, the same defense that you thought was so awesome, couldn't get off the field, the result was utter domination that, because of a late surge, wasn't reflected in the final score.

3.) The same dumbfounded mediots also tell you the Steelers offense is "explosive". Explosive is great but that unit was 21st in scoring/ 22nd in turnovers.

"Explosive" except for the minor problems associated with not scoring much and always turning the ball over.

Even you should grasp that these types of numbers would not cut it with a degraded offense.

One of the problems that you're having trouble understanding in this thread is the definition of irrelevant when it comes to the conversation at hand. The quoted should help.

Now as far as replacing players. Perhaps this went over your head.

Since 2003, what other TP quality safeties have made into the NFL?

Who?

That's the point. Nobody is denying that Polamalu is a once in a decade safety. But he's not even the best safety playing this decade. That would be Ed Reed. Brady, on the other hand, is a once in a GENERATION quarterback. The stats are there. Go look at the top safeties in NFL history and see how their teams have fared after they left. I did my homework on that already. I'll give you a hint: better than teams that have had their GOAT quarterbacks ride off into the sunset.

It's simple: GOAT quarterbacks are harder to find and replace than all-decade great safeties.

Have any franchise QB's been drafted?

Franchise quarterbacks have been drafted, yes. How many all time great quarterbacks have been drafted in the same time period that you allotted me?

So the Colts are going to find it impossible to replace PM?

1. We have no idea if Luck will be an all time great like Brady is and will be. We don't even know if he'll be a Hall of Famer when he hangs it up. I suspect that he'll be pretty good, but a HOFer or a GOAT, I'm not sure.

2. This is the exception. Not the rule.

In your world, 2008 just didn't happen?

A couple of things helped the 2008 team:

1. Keeping the majority of the greatest offense of all time intact for Cassel.

2. Cassel not being a bad quarterback and a solid back-up.

3. Keeping the front seven stout.

4. The easiest schedule of the BB era.

What happened when we played good teams, such as the Chargers and the Steelers without Brady that year again?

Speak slowly, the air is pretty thick in Pennsylvania.

Only in the Western part :cool:

So now you're going with homophobic insults? The mods must love you...

The mods aren't going to stop him. Put him on ignore. It cleans up the board, and you won't lose any worthwhile football talk, because he doesn't supply any.

Give the guy that's holding your head and forcing you to read this an elbow in the gut. That should make him let you go.

It should have been presented in another thread

The highjacking that goes on in here sometimes is ridiculous because it doesn't end in just a few minor posts within the premise of the thread,but engulfs the original thought and expands the thread to 200 posts about something extremely irrelevant to the original post.

duty_calls1-272x300.png

The mods aren't going to stop him. Put him on ignore. It cleans up the board, and you won't lose any worthwhile football talk, because he doesn't supply any.

Good advice. Should have taken it a while ago. PFIPA, feel welcome to continue the James Harrison conversation. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft