PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Steelers' James Harrison suspended for one game; will appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should have been suspended for at least two games. Hopefully he does not play this Monday against the 49ers. It would be nice to see SF beat those aholes

I agree Riddell should be fined for concussions also :)
All of our boys need better gear to deal with the speed and impact. BMW has Collars for motorcycle riders that connect to the helmet and prevent brain and neck injuries sense 2005, why isn't this used?
BMW Motorrad introduces Neck Brace System
Pads could be implemented to surround the knee and ankle, to prevent them from impact or bending the wrong way. So we can limit the rules.
The reason the boys don't have this kind of gear, Im sure, is because of money.

Projected evolutionary path of NFL uniforms and headgear produced this 2013 sample image, GoodHell approves;)

Last edited:
Meh...what happened to just shaking it off?

Poor James.

It all depends on whether or not the QB 'established' himself as throwing early enough for Harrison to be liable again. I actually side with Harrison on this, and I think his past is being used against him in more than the penalty phase here.

Not sure about the rule specifics on when he is a runner & when a qb or what the exact definition of 'establishing himself' is; but 2 thoughts:

1. I thought helmet to helmet was WRONG no matter what the status of the player is runner or qb?

2. From my view of the you tube clip of play Harrison had 2 steps after McCoy released the ball. That is plenty of time to change from a lay him out to a soft sack. It is probably too short to avoid hitting him at all; but guys in the pocket (wilfork / carter) have gotten flagged for hitting qbs with less than a step after release. he had about 2 steps as I saw it.

As a Steelers fan, let me say this first: per 2011 rules, Harrison should have been fined, and his "body of work" warrants a suspension. I hope he adjusts, otherwise he will be gone. The NFL has altered its rules, and players should abide by them...pretty simple.

But consider this: Harrison's tackle is the first suspension in 25 years (!) for an on-the-field tackle. The last suspension due to an on-field hit was when Jim McMahon was literally body-slammed, WWF-style, to the turf in 1986, an event that scarcely qualifies as a "tackle". Think about all the brutal, full-speed helmet-to-helmet collisions over the years that you've witnessed. And now think of all of the headhunting enforcers that the league and its fans have not only tolerated, but *celebrated* over this time. Repeat offenders, all of them. Ronnie Lott? LT? How many times did announcers salivate over John Lynch's "hard style" of play over his career? How many times have we seen players literally look like they might not walk (or live?!) after a brutal hit (Boldin's hit a couple of years ago comes to mind). By comparison, James Harrison's "resume" of hits looks fairly tame...yet it's Harrison, and this hit on McCoy, that garners the first suspension for a tackle in 25 years.

Let me ask this: as Patriots fans, would you define *Rodney* Harrison's style as simply tough and hard-hitting...or would you condemn him as forcefully as you would James Harrison? Are you proud of his tenure as a Patriot...or are you ashamed of it? Remember that Rodney Harrison accumulated over $200K in fines over his career, simply a huge amount in the pre-2010 era (when you typically didn't get fined $75K for a single hit!) As Patriots fans, I seriously doubt you would characterize his play as despicable--edgy, maybe, and maybe uncomfortably close to (or over) the line at times, but you wouldn't demonize him. (And for anyone who thinks R.Harrison's hits were any less egregious than James Harrison's, I recommend the following video, from the :20 - :60 mark, for a reminder of what the league has tolerated *without* suspensions over its history):

rodney harrison tribute - YouTube

My point is not to denigrate Rodney Harrison here; it's merely to say that that for 40 years, the league cultivated a culture that tolerated and even celebrated the Rodney (and James) Harrisons of the world--the feared enforcer, the guy who would walk (and perhaps breach) the line between legal and dirty.

IMHO I think you'd have to take a pretty narrow and myopic viewpoint--that is, one that encompasses only the past 12-15 months--in order to say James Harrison is demonstrably more villainous or brutish than the scores of similarly-styled enforcers since the merger. I don't have a problem with the fines and even suspensions; for the record, I think the new rules changes are good, and defenseless players need to be protected.

But I'm growing weary of the borderline sanctimonious and self-righteous tone that league officials, commentators, and even some fans have taken with Harrison's hits. It's like we collectively have forgotten what the NFL was like, not just 20 or 30 years ago, but *2* years ago, pre-2010, and what an abrupt about-face the league has taken regarding the very hits it has frankly encouraged and profited from throughout its pre-2010 existence.

You can argue that the NFL has evolved--and for the better--and that James Harrison is a knuckle-dragging dinosaur with no place within its new rules, and that he should evolve or become "extinct". Improved player safety is a noble goal, even if the abruptness of the league's emphasis mid-season last year seems suspect (my personal, cynical belief: the league's 2010 drive for a decidedly *less* safe 18 game season in a CBA year necessitated major PR initiatives for improved player safety). But never forget the fact that the league has spent most of its existence cultivating and celebrating a culture that encourages, rather than condemns, the type of player that James Harrison has become. The league, along with its fans, have cheered brutal displays of on-field violence from its players throughout its history, so it seems rather disingenuous to be suddenly horrified by it now.

As a Steelers fan, let me say this first: per 2011 rules, Harrison should have been fined, and his "body of work" warrants a suspension. I hope he adjusts, otherwise he will be gone. The NFL has altered its rules, and players should abide by them...pretty simple..................

Well thought out and decent thought provoking view.

Well thought out and decent thought provoking view.

Makes a change from a Steelers fan... :rolleyes:

I only watched the hit this morning, and I am not surprised he got suspended!

Pretty nasty to watch!

This Piece of Sh#t should be suspended for the rest of his career for that vicious and gutless cheap shot he took on McCoy last week. You leave guys like Suh and Harrison in this game and they will eventually kill or paralyze another player. I wish both of them bilateral torn ACLs, PCL's, achilles tendons, and scrotal tendons..........

The various fines obviously were not getting his attention. Perhaps losing him for a game will get the attention of his coaches and team.

James Harrison got what he deserved and needed - Shutdown Corner - NFL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Harrison appeals one-game suspension | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Doesn't matter if the guy is catching the ball, throwing the ball, or running the ball.....if the defender comes in with that kind of velocity and force PREMEDITATED and goes HELMET TO HELMET like that....he (defender) should be suspended. Harrison should NOT be going HELMET high at this point....guy has been fined HOW MANY times? He had at least 2 steps before he hit McCoy and should have made a legal hit. McCoy wasn't going anywhere! Guys like Harrison and Suh figure.....Hey, I'll knock this QB into next week and out of the game....and what am I going to get? A Fine? Big deal.....Bad mentality to allow....they need to nip this vicious helmet to helmet sh#t in the bud or players careers are going to be over....or worse

Unpopular viewpoint...but...you are correct as far as I am concerned...McCoy WAS running the ball, he put the ball away and had his head down and then, what looks like out of the corner of his eye he spots the receiver..at this point Harrison is already committed and makes no attempt to conceal his intent ..that being a hard tackle helmet to helmet.This is where the rule breaks down IMO...how do you just switch it on and off? He's a runner and a 1/10th of a second later, he's NOT a runner...who can play within the letter of the law in a situation like that? The only solution I can see is outlawing helmet to helmet hits altogether...at which time Goodell may as well overhaul the entire league and transform it into a flag football league.

In that video link that you provided, in fairness there were only TWO helmet to helmet hits shown....one was from side....but still not right. However, at that time they were allowed,not that I agree with that. Rodney was one of the hardest hitting defensive players of all time no doubt, but he led with body or forearm to accomplish this...all well within the rules (at least from your linked video, the other videos I have seen of his hits, and watching him playing here. He was a vicious hitter....but not gutless and vicious like J. Harrison. I appreciate your opinion though.....

As a Steelers fan, let me say this first: per 2011 rules, Harrison should have been fined, and his "body of work" warrants a suspension. I hope he adjusts, otherwise he will be gone. The NFL has altered its rules, and players should abide by them...pretty simple.

But consider this: Harrison's tackle is the first suspension in 25 years (!) for an on-the-field tackle. The last suspension due to an on-field hit was when Jim McMahon was literally body-slammed, WWF-style, to the turf in 1986, an event that scarcely qualifies as a "tackle". Think about all the brutal, full-speed helmet-to-helmet collisions over the years that you've witnessed. And now think of all of the headhunting enforcers that the league and its fans have not only tolerated, but *celebrated* over this time. Repeat offenders, all of them. Ronnie Lott? LT? How many times did announcers salivate over John Lynch's "hard style" of play over his career? How many times have we seen players literally look like they might not walk (or live?!) after a brutal hit (Boldin's hit a couple of years ago comes to mind). By comparison, James Harrison's "resume" of hits looks fairly tame...yet it's Harrison, and this hit on McCoy, that garners the first suspension for a tackle in 25 years.

Let me ask this: as Patriots fans, would you define *Rodney* Harrison's style as simply tough and hard-hitting...or would you condemn him as forcefully as you would James Harrison? Are you proud of his tenure as a Patriot...or are you ashamed of it? Remember that Rodney Harrison accumulated over $200K in fines over his career, simply a huge amount in the pre-2010 era (when you typically didn't get fined $75K for a single hit!) As Patriots fans, I seriously doubt you would characterize his play as despicable--edgy, maybe, and maybe uncomfortably close to (or over) the line at times, but you wouldn't demonize him. (And for anyone who thinks R.Harrison's hits were any less egregious than James Harrison's, I recommend the following video, from the :20 - :60 mark, for a reminder of what the league has tolerated *without* suspensions over its history):

rodney harrison tribute - YouTube

My point is not to denigrate Rodney Harrison here; it's merely to say that that for 40 years, the league cultivated a culture that tolerated and even celebrated the Rodney (and James) Harrisons of the world--the feared enforcer, the guy who would walk (and perhaps breach) the line between legal and dirty.

IMHO I think you'd have to take a pretty narrow and myopic viewpoint--that is, one that encompasses only the past 12-15 months--in order to say James Harrison is demonstrably more villainous or brutish than the scores of similarly-styled enforcers since the merger. I don't have a problem with the fines and even suspensions; for the record, I think the new rules changes are good, and defenseless players need to be protected.

But I'm growing weary of the borderline sanctimonious and self-righteous tone that league officials, commentators, and even some fans have taken with Harrison's hits. It's like we collectively have forgotten what the NFL was like, not just 20 or 30 years ago, but *2* years ago, pre-2010, and what an abrupt about-face the league has taken regarding the very hits it has frankly encouraged and profited from throughout its pre-2010 existence.

You can argue that the NFL has evolved--and for the better--and that James Harrison is a knuckle-dragging dinosaur with no place within its new rules, and that he should evolve or become "extinct". Improved player safety is a noble goal, even if the abruptness of the league's emphasis mid-season last year seems suspect (my personal, cynical belief: the league's 2010 drive for a decidedly *less* safe 18 game season in a CBA year necessitated major PR initiatives for improved player safety). But never forget the fact that the league has spent most of its existence cultivating and celebrating a culture that encourages, rather than condemns, the type of player that James Harrison has become. The league, along with its fans, have cheered brutal displays of on-field violence from its players throughout its history, so it seems rather disingenuous to be suddenly horrified by it now.

Unpopular viewpoint...but...you are correct as far as I am concerned...McCoy WAS running the ball, he put the ball away and had his head down and then, what looks like out of the corner of his eye he spots the receiver..at this point Harrison is already committed and makes no attempt to conceal his intent ..that being a hard tackle helmet to helmet.This is where the rule breaks down IMO...how do you just switch it on and off? He's a runner and a 1/10th of a second later, he's NOT a runner...who can play within the letter of the law in a situation like that? The only solution I can see is outlawing helmet to helmet hits altogether...at which time Goodell may as well overhaul the entire league and transform it into a flag football league.

Harrison actually takes two full steps before he hits McCoy after McCoy has thrown the ball. By rule, he is NOT a runner at that point, but a QB who has thrown the ball and that means Harrison's hit on McCoy was late and Illegal for being a helmet to Helmet hit. The link that Deus provided clearly shows that (at the end).

Here's the official NFL response...

NFL Communications - Rule Explanation from the Cleveland Browns-Pittsburgh Steelers Game «

it appears the NFL is asserting that McCoy was still a quarterback in a defenseless position on that play...Collinsworth, who announced that game and is a staunch opponent of these hits had this to say when the play occurred...

CBS Sports Network Video - Chris Collinsworth on James Harrison - CBS.com

seems there is a lot of opinion pro and con about this play.....depends on whether you think he's still a QB or a RB as the play develops...

Robmango and Pherein bring up good points about the helmets. The problem with the points, though, are that there are 6 helmets now that players can choose from that all meet or surpass the newer guidelines for concussions and such. The problem is more than that, though. It's also about the mouth guard you wear. And most QBs don't use them at all. So it makes them more susceptible to concussions from a helmet to helmet hit.

Also, Rob, I've yet to see a goalie mask that a 90+ mph slap shot doesn't ring the goalie's bell.. There was an incident in the NHL this year where a goalie took one on the helmet during warm-ups and had to be scratched..

Harrison may have some dirty hits on his list, though some of them are questionable, I thought the hit on McCoy was fine. I'm also sure McCoy was faking in the aftermath to get a free injury timeout and an excuse to why he lost to the overrated Steelers.

Harrison may have some dirty hits on his list, though some of them are questionable, I thought the hit on McCoy was fine. I'm also sure McCoy was faking in the aftermath to get a free injury timeout and an excuse to why he lost to the overrated Steelers.

Yeah.. that's why when his dad talked to him, McCoy couldn't remember any of the game after the hit...

McCoy wasn't faking anything..

Announcers have mentioned a number of times this season when a player has made a hard hit on a receiver and consciously tried to turn his head to the side so it's shoulder into the hips or chest to make the tackle. That's safe for the tackler and safer for the receiver -- that's what the NFL would like to see happen, for good reason.

Harrison made no attempt to do anything of the sort. If he's going to keep defying the rules the NFL makes, the NFL is going to make it difficult for him to play.

It's that simple. It's not old-time football, but I'm pretty sure there will still be many NFL players limping and groaning 25 years from now -- it's still an intensely violent game.

According to the rules, McCoy had clearly become a runner and was outside the pocket. That means that helmet to helmet contact would not be a penalty at that point. He was running with the ball tucked until Harrison approached, and he then flipped the ball rather than making a normal pass.

James Harrison hit on Colt McCoy 2011 - YouTube

Harrison's at least arguably in the right here.

That's an excellent point…but I thought helmet to helmet is always a penalty, regardless of in or out of the pocket?
Also, no QB asks for takes more punishment than Big Ben…he gets the Shaq rules thrown at him. It is hard to let McCoy run around and then flip it with his head leaning forward AND NOT have some helmet contact.

That's an excellent point…but I thought helmet to helmet is always a penalty, regardless of in or out of the pocket?
Also, no QB asks for takes more punishment than Big Ben…he gets the Shaq rules thrown at him. It is hard to let McCoy run around and then flip it with his head leaning forward AND NOT have some helmet contact.

The NYT sums it up:

One other note: In most instances, runners, including receivers and quarterbacks who are given enough time to turn into runners, are not afforded the same protection on hits to the head. It’s perfectly acceptable to crush a running back in the head with your helmet as long as you haven’t launched off your feet beforehand and as long as the runner isn’t already in the grasp of a tackler, with forward progress stopped.

Was N.F.L.'s Suspension of James Harrison the Right Call? - NYTimes.com

In that video link that you provided, in fairness there were only TWO helmet to helmet hits shown....one was from side....but still not right. However, at that time they were allowed,not that I agree with that. Rodney was one of the hardest hitting defensive players of all time no doubt, but he led with body or forearm to accomplish this...all well within the rules (at least from your linked video, the other videos I have seen of his hits, and watching him playing here. He was a vicious hitter....but not gutless and vicious like J. Harrison. I appreciate your opinion though.....

In my opinion, Rodney Harrison (along with many other players) would have similar struggles to J.Harrison under the new rules, and would be receiving major fines and/or suspensions on a regular basis. I know you say that he was typically "well within the rules", but his career fine total--over $200K, when a total like that really meant something--suggests the league found him crossing the line on many occasions. (Regarding the video, I respectfully disagree--are we watching the same one? The hits at :33 and :52 are textbook examples of everything the league does NOT tolerate currently, i.e. launching and going high at a defenseless receiver). John Lynch is another guy--commentators seemed to love him, but he regularly led with the helmet. Perhaps their saving grace would be that both are vastly more eloquent off the field than James Harrison, who is clearly afflicted with FIM (Foot-in-Mouth) disease.

Again my point was not to denigrate R. Harrison, but rather that many teams have had this kind of guy on their teams over the years, and whether someone deems him merely "hard-hitting" or "gutless" falls largely to the individual's rooting interest. And the larger point is that it's only recently that the league has altered the fine $$ scale, as well as the threshold for suspensions. For better or worse, James Harrison's style is nothing new or even particularly unique; he's the latest in a long line of enforcers, but it's the rulebook that's changed, not the players.

Just for yuks, here's the hit of George Martin on Jim McMahon, the last "tackle" (if you can call it that lol!) to warrant a suspension. That's followed by Turkey Jones' faceplant of Terry Bradshaw in the 70s. (If you're wondering, Martin was suspended, but Turkey Jones was simply fined $3000...those were tough dudes in the 70s!)

Jim McMahon body slammed by Charles Martin Bears Packers 1986 - YouTube

Turkey Jones' Greatest Sack - YouTube

This Piece of Sh#t should be suspended for the rest of his career for that vicious and gutless cheap shot he took on McCoy last week. You leave guys like Suh and Harrison in this game and they will eventually kill or paralyze another player. I wish both of them bilateral torn ACLs, PCL's, achilles tendons, and scrotal tendons..........

There's a significant difference here in that Suh's latest antics took place well after the play was dead. (He reminds me a bit of Seymour in this regard--the *Oakland* Seymour, that is--in that his temper frequently runs too hot and past the play). Post-play personal fouls have frequently garnered suspensions over the years; but suspensions for in-game acts have been extraordinarily rare given the number of unbelievably brutal hits that have happened over the decades.

I agree that these hits need to be legislated out of the game. There have been many players over the years whose style is uncomfortably close to (and sometimes, over) the line. What I find odd is that the league and many fans forget that they have their own players--players they've loved, and celebrated--with similar, reckless and violent playing styles...but I seriously doubt that they lobbied for career bans (or torn body parts lol) during their own player's tenure. The league can change its rules, but not its own (uncomfortable) history regarding its stance on on-field violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News