PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sports Law Blog: Brady has another "home field" advantage in NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
im actually curious to know the NFL's argument to the NFLPA's claims. it seems they have put out a pretty solid case for why the punishment should either be A. vacated and given a fine or B.a neurtral arbitrator assigned.

yes, goodell has powers in the CBA. but he certainly cant do whatever he wants. and dole punishments whichever way he likes. this is why he loses so often in court. he has no reason for his punishments.

im actually curious to know the NFL's argument to the NFLPA's claims. it seems they have put out a pretty solid case for why the punishment should either be A. vacated and given a fine or B.a neurtral arbitrator assigned.

yes, goodell has powers in the CBA. but he certainly cant do whatever he wants. and dole punishments whichever way he likes. this is why he loses so often in court. he has no reason for his punishments.
Thats the thing these idiots like Tanguay keep harping on...."The CBA gives Goodell the power to do whatever he wants...".

That is not true. Goodell needs to adhere to a process and an agreed-to set of conditions and criteria to exact player punishment. He needs to demonstrate impartiality. He needs to have demonstrable proof.

In the Bountygate, AP and the Ray Rice cases he lost because he did not follow those conditions. Thats why he lost. Goody knows this. Big reason why he has a contempt of court hearing Aug 13.

Last edited:
Not good. Court's are very reluctant to overrule arbitration awards to begin with. An appeal of a ruling upholding an arbitration award? You'd have a better chance winning the lotto.
Thanks, that was my intuition, but I admit I don't know anything about that. His best hope seems to be with Berman.

The appeal would have to go to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals (also in NYC).

No attorney can reasonably offer probabilities on an appeal before trial proceedings. It depends on what transpires in court.

As an FYI, Ms. Stradley is well written and entertaining, her history appears to be with Texas courts. As one who moved from CT (Second Circuit) to TX (Fifth Circuit), the judges and practices here and there are vastly different. My colleague, a Ninth Circuit (California) attorney and I had a fairly major culture shock with the courts when settling in here. Substantive law is more or less the same, but the judges and their interactions with attorneys can be night and day. She is definitely worth reading, but read her statements on judicial practices in that context.
As always, helpful. As an amateur, I'm not optimistic about getting an Arbiter's ruling that has been Upheld in Federal Court overturned on Appeal, but Hope Springs Eternal. I continue to think, as an amateur, that Berman is Brady's best hope.

Thats the thing these idiots like Tanguay keep harping on...."The CBA gives Goodell the power to do whatever he wants...".

That is not true. Goodell needs to adhere to a process and an agreed-to set of conditions and criteria to exact player punishment. He needs to demonstrate impartiality. He needs to have demonstrable proof.

Exactly. Those are the very points that Kessler makes in Sections three through six of his Motion to Vacate. He elaborates on the lack of partiality in Sections 149 through 154. The Court is being asked to decide whether they constitute adequate grounds to Vacate the findings of an Arbiter, who, unfortunately, is given ridiculous leeway by the ill-conceived (from the Players' perspective) terms of the CBA.

Thanks, that was my intuition, but I admit I don't know anything about that. His best hope seems to be with Berman.

I still think the NFLPA filing in Minnesota was a major strategic blunder. They had a first to file issue when the NFL filed in NY. Any "forum shopping" objection they may have had would have fallen flat since they did the same thing themselves.

In MA-
Brady lives and works here;
the event that is the subject of the controversy took place here;
there a chance of getting a judge who is a "friendly."

For the life of me, I don't understand why the NFLPA didn't try to file here unless there's something seriously wrong with the MA federal courts that I don't know about.

im actually curious to know the NFL's argument to the NFLPA's claims.
I think everybody is. Goodell's strategy so far has been to just continually rule in his favor...and for the first time that's not an option anymore. This whole thing is full of holes, but now somebody outside the NFL has the power to act on them.

I still think the NFLPA filing in Minnesota was a major strategic blunder. They had a first to file issue when the NFL filed in NY. Any "forum shopping" objection they may have had would have fallen flat since they did the same thing themselves.

In MA-
Brady lives and works here;
the event that is the subject of the controversy took place here;
there a chance of getting a judge who is a "friendly."

For the life of me, I don't understand why the NFLPA didn't try to file here unless there's something seriously wrong with the MA federal courts that I don't know about.

As someone who came down hard on Kessler for not anticipating the NFL's move in New York, I now believe that there was little he could have done about that (though no doubt there has been much screaming and shouting between the NFLPA and Kessler over this). He was in the position of having to wait for Goodell's ruling and, if Wells was ready with his filing a nanosecond after the ruling was released, there was little he could do (according to some reports, Wells was in such a hurry to file that the minion charged with doing so even forgot to sign the original document).

Once the NY filing was in place, the MN filing could be reasonably construed as "venue shopping," as it was.

So, yes, MA was logical (so was DC, but probably not friendly). But, it's not out of the question that, if the "wrong judge" came out of the selection process, s/he too could have referred the matter back to NY from Boston as well. That's really unknowable.

My view is and remains that the NFL's strategy may have backfired. I don't think that Goodell got the judge he expected to get; instead of a hot-shot 45 year old trying to make a local name for himself he got a senior judge who, based on my observations after living among folks like him in New York and as generally confirmed by informed observers like Steph Stradley, just wants this case out of his courtroom as quickly as possible and has made it very clear that he wants the two sides to settle.

Simple . . . their argument is that you agreed to have Goodell decide these matters and nothing else matters AT ALL regardless of the absurdity of the process or results.

This argument works a lot better than it should when someone is trying to vacate an arbitration award.

My view is and remains that the NFL's strategy may have backfired. I don't think that Goodell got the judge he expected to get; instead of a hot-shot 45 year old trying to make a local name for himself he got a senior judge who, based on my observations after living among folks like him in New York and as generally confirmed by informed observers like Steph Stradley, just wants this case out of his courtroom as quickly as possible and has made it very clear that he wants the two sides to settle.

That's every judge everywhere.

In the Bountygate, AP and the Ray Rice cases he lost because he did not follow those conditions. Thats why he lost. Goody knows this. Big reason why he has a contempt of court hearing Aug 13.

You need to do that line above while slamming the palm of your hand on the desk to punctuate each individual word. It's the Tangsters Signature Move.

That's every judge everywhere.
Yes, of course. But, the language of his memo suggests, to me at least, a heightened level of impatience. You might well read it differently!

Steph Stradley has observed that she thinks Berman really doesn't want this case in his court, which is what I had concluded as an amateur observer. When a judge really doesn't want a case in his/her court s/he typically has a short fuse on what would be considered a good faith effort at a settlement.

He also writes "because I already have a good understanding of your positions from your submissions to date, you need only each file a 15 page double spaced memo (further supporting your positions) by August 7, 2015." One can read that any way one wants. I read it as saying, "I already have a pretty good idea how I'm going to rule, so your choices are to settle or take your chances; I don't need to hear any more arguments beyond the positions you have already presented in your motions to Uphold and Vacate."

Yes, of course. But, the language of his memo suggests, to me at least, a heightened level of impatience. You might well read it differently!

Steph Stradley has observed that she thinks Berman really doesn't want this case in his court, which is what I had concluded as an amateur observer. When a judge really doesn't want a case in his/her court s/he typically has a short fuse on what would be considered a good faith effort at a settlement.

He also writes "because I already have a good understanding of your positions from your submissions to date, you need only each file a 15 page double spaced memo (further supporting your positions) by August 7, 2015." One can read that any way one wants. I read it as saying, "I already have a pretty good idea how I'm going to rule, so your choices are to settle or take your chances; I don't need to hear any more arguments beyond the positions you have already presented in your motions to Uphold and Vacate."

You can drive yourself crazy trying to parse through such cryptic statements from a judge.

Clearly, he would prefer to avoid making a decision. My concern is that upholding the award is the safe, lazy way to go. OTOH, this decision is going to be heavily scrutinized by the public so I would expect a detailed, carefully reasoned written decision so MAYBE it won't simply be a "you made your own bed in the CBA so lie in it" sort of call.

Simple . . . their argument is that you agreed to have Goodell decide these matters and nothing else matters AT ALL regardless of the absurdity of the process or results.

This argument works a lot better than it should when someone is trying to vacate an arbitration award.

Except that argument didnt work with rice Peterson or bountygate....i see no reason why it would work here.

Goodell still has to follow a process which he clearly has broken at every turn

Except that argument didnt work with rice Peterson or bountygate....i see no reason why it would work here.

Goodell still has to follow a process which he clearly has broken at every turn

In Peterson, the venue was Minnesota. In Bountygate, the venue was Louisiana.

Here, the venue SHOULD have been MA; instead we got NY where they're far less likely to give a sh*t about doing the right thing.

Nothing the judge has done so far would suggest to me that he is going to uphold this because it is in NYC

It seems to me they got a better judge in nyc than they would have had in minnesota

If he upholds the suspension it sets a bad precedent for future punishments. Goodell simply cannot do what he wants without following the rules

Why wouldn't he want this in his court? Enforcing contracts is a legit function of the state. If they can't be bothered than the contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

I’m a labor lawyer; so this litigation falls within my area of specialization. Although reading about the Second Circuit’s standard for vacating arbitration awards cheered me up a bit, I still remain, on the whole, pessimistic about the outcome of this litigation primarily because of what I perceive to be was—from a purely legal point of view—a misstep by the NFLPA in agreeing with the NFL to have the case decided solely on the basis of the arbitration record. As I see it, the only way that Brady and the NFLPA could get Goodell’s arbitration award overturned would be to prove that Goodell was not an impartial arbitrator. Courts give arbitrators wide latitude in interpreting collective bargaining agreements. The test that the Supreme Court has devised for determining whether an arbitration award should be affirmed or vacated in lawsuits brought under Section 301 of the Labor Management Relations Act, as the NFLPA’s counterclaim is, is whether the arbitrator was even “arguably” interpreting the contract or whether he was dispensing “his own brand of industrial justice.” The opinion that Goodell issued seems pretty unassailable from that perspective. However, arbitrator bias is always a reason for vacating an arbitration award no matter how good the arbitrator’s written opinion looks.

Proving arbitrator bias seemed quite doable in this case. There is abundant evidence that the whole process was driven by an agenda by Goodell and others in the NFL’s headquarters to get Brady and the Patriots—from the leak of false information to Mortenson, to the failure to correct Mortenson’s report despite the fact that Brady and the Patriots were getting hammered in the press in the run-up to the Super Bowl, the transmission of false PSI information to the Patriots, the insistence that the Patriots not release the correct PSI figures after they were given them, the league’s persistent refusal to divulge the correct PSI figures to the public despite repeated requests by the Patriots to do so, the refusal by the league to have the Wells firm investigate the NFL’s conduct, the perversely one-sided nature of the Wells Report, Goodell’s delay in issuing the arbitration award, and the leak of information to Steven A. Smith immediately before issuing his arbitration award that Brady had destroyed his cell phone. Goodell has acted more like the adverse party in a lawsuit than an independent arbitrator. The facts surrounding all this would have been discoverable. In fact, a good case could have been made that the NFL’s communications with the Wells firm regarding Deflategate were discoverable, since the NFL has claimed that it solicited the Wells firm’s assistance not for legal advice, but to do an independent investigation.

By agreeing with the NFL to have the case decided on the basis of the arbitration record alone, however, the NFLPA has traded away much of its ability to establish arbitrator bias. Although the arbitration record reflects that the arbitrator was also the one that imposed the initial penalty, I don’t think that is enough to establish bias, as the collective bargaining agreement contemplates that may happen. And although the NFLPA presented evidence that the Wells Report was biased, that does not establish that Goodell was biased and Goodell mentioned in his arbitration award that he made an independent assessment of the facts. Thus, the NFLPA exchanged what I thought was a winning hand for a losing hand.

Why did the NFLPA do that? Perhaps Brady wanted the case resolved before the start of the season. If so, Goodell would have been rewarded for dragging this case out until the beginning of training camp.

It’s not all gloom and doom. The tide of opinion regarding this case in the national media, if not our local sports media, has turned in favor of Brady and the Patriots. Reports that the NFL doesn’t want the arbitration record released to the public are also intriguing. My only point is that concern over the possibility that Judge Berman will vacate Goodell’s arbitration award is much less of a reason for the NFL to compromise now that the parties have agreed to have the case decided on the basis of the arbitration record alone.

I’m a labor lawyer; so this litigation falls within my area of specialization. Although reading about the Second Circuit’s standard for vacating arbitration awards cheered me up a bit, I still remain, on the whole, pessimistic about the outcome of this litigation primarily because of what I perceive to be was—from a purely legal point of view—a misstep by the NFLPA in agreeing with the NFL to have the case decided solely on the basis of the arbitration record. As I see it, the only way that Brady and the NFLPA could get Goodell’s arbitration award overturned would be to prove that Goodell was not an impartial arbitrator. Courts give arbitrators wide latitude in interpreting collective bargaining agreements. The test that the Supreme Court has devised for determining whether an arbitration award should be affirmed or vacated in lawsuits brought under Section 301 of the Labor Management Relations Act, as the NFLPA’s counterclaim is, is whether the arbitrator was even “arguably” interpreting the contract or whether he was dispensing “his own brand of industrial justice.” The opinion that Goodell issued seems pretty unassailable from that perspective. However, arbitrator bias is always a reason for vacating an arbitration award no matter how good the arbitrator’s written opinion looks.

Proving arbitrator bias seemed quite doable in this case. There is abundant evidence that the whole process was driven by an agenda by Goodell and others in the NFL’s headquarters to get Brady and the Patriots—from the leak of false information to Mortenson, to the failure to correct Mortenson’s report despite the fact that Brady and the Patriots were getting hammered in the press in the run-up to the Super Bowl, the transmission of false PSI information to the Patriots, the insistence that the Patriots not release the correct PSI figures after they were given them, the league’s persistent refusal to divulge the correct PSI figures to the public despite repeated requests by the Patriots to do so, the refusal by the league to have the Wells firm investigate the NFL’s conduct, the perversely one-sided nature of the Wells Report, Goodell’s delay in issuing the arbitration award, and the leak of information to Steven A. Smith immediately before issuing his arbitration award that Brady had destroyed his cell phone. Goodell has acted more like the adverse party in a lawsuit than an independent arbitrator. The facts surrounding all this would have been discoverable. In fact, a good case could have been made that the NFL’s communications with the Wells firm regarding Deflategate were discoverable, since the NFL has claimed that it solicited the Wells firm’s assistance not for legal advice, but to do an independent investigation.

By agreeing with the NFL to have the case decided on the basis of the arbitration record alone, however, the NFLPA has traded away much of its ability to establish arbitrator bias. Although the arbitration record reflects that the arbitrator was also the one that imposed the initial penalty, I don’t think that is enough to establish bias, as the collective bargaining agreement contemplates that may happen. And although the NFLPA presented evidence that the Wells Report was biased, that does not establish that Goodell was biased and Goodell mentioned in his arbitration award that he made an independent assessment of the facts. Thus, the NFLPA exchanged what I thought was a winning hand for a losing hand.

Why did the NFLPA do that? Perhaps Brady wanted the case resolved before the start of the season. If so, Goodell would have been rewarded for dragging this case out until the beginning of training camp.

It’s not all gloom and doom. The tide of opinion regarding this case in the national media, if not our local sports media, has turned in favor of Brady and the Patriots. Reports that the NFL doesn’t want the arbitration record released to the public are also intriguing. My only point is that concern over the possibility that Judge Berman will vacate Goodell’s arbitration award is much less of a reason for the NFL to compromise now that the parties have agreed to have the case decided on the basis of the arbitration record alone.
Oh f****

Thanks for the thoughful post but I'm confused.

You stated that the NFLPA is arguing solely on the basis of the arbitration record.

Based on their outline, it seems that NFLPA are challenging a number of circumstances surrounding the punishment.
  • The NFL had no policy that applied to players;
  • The NFL provided no notice of any such policy or potential discipline to players;
  • The NFL resorted to a nebulous standard of "general awareness" to predicate a legally unjustified punishment;
  • The NFL had no procedures in place until two days ago to test air pressure in footballs; and
  • The NFL violated the plain meaning of the collective bargaining agreement.
  • The fact that the NFL would resort to basing a suspension on a smoke screen of irrelevant text messages instead of admitting that they have all of the phone records they asked for is a new low, even for them, but it does nothing to correct their errors.
Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back