PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Spoiled Boston Fans: The 80's Called: They Want Their Perspective back

Status
Not open for further replies.
People talking about a horrible loss isn't a bad thing. Few people are saying that we are doomed for the season (though if we play like that all year...).

This was awful on all fronts except our kickoff returns. Outcoached, outplayed. Our offensive line has never seemed the same since the Giants game. Poor Cassel is getting chased around like a rabbit at a dog race. I know our head coach is great. This game (and the previous two) has me seriously worried about our talent on the offensive and defensive line. The holes in our D-line were the size you see at pee-wee football.

Sure, it's been a great run thus far, but we haven't played a good team yet this season, and we just squeaked out two wins and lost to the worst team in the NFL.

Plus, in the 1980's, if you remember, it was every fan's duty to point out everything wrong with the team. :)

I hate these "spoiled" comments. So hollow. That's your analysis after such a loss? "Well we won four years ago."

What do the Celtics have to do with the embarassment that was today?

It's not about being spoiled. It's about raising the bar. Lower yours if you like.

They aren't nearly as hollow as the everyone sucks comments. That's your analysis after such a loss? "We used to win 21 in a row...wahhhhhhhhhhhhh"

You're right, spoiled is hollow - it's more about being ignorant. Some of us would like to raise the bar here. Others have lowered it into the pits with their mindless venting.

The Colts have yet to win a game at their shiny new Lubradome. Manning and Roethlisberger had worse games today than a friggin' backup who hadn't started since HS...6 points and 8 sacks for Ben...1 TD and 2 INTS for Peyton. Tampa Bay somehow won with a QB posting a 47 rating who threw three picks while Garcia rode the pine because Gruden thinks he's worse...and 32 teams passed on Culpepper because he can't play...Derek Anderson went to the pro bowl last year and this year he's useless. Briz wants O'Connell to start because he ignores what happened to Ryan last week or Flacco this week. JT O'Sullivan looks great through 3 weeks on his 10th team in 7 seasons...the Chargers are staring at 0-3 and the JETS at 1-2 tomorrow night.

The mindless kneejerks here have no perspective. That's the problem. The last time Dolphin fans were this excited was 2006 when they beat us to go 8-8...this is their second win since. We haven't experienced a losing season in 7 years. 114 - 25 and the same nitwits have been over reacting to losses and even criticizing wins this way all along.

As football fans go, to say we're the definition of spoiled is putting it kindly.

They aren't nearly as hollow as the everyone sucks comments. That's your analysis after such a loss? "We used to win 21 in a row...wahhhhhhhhhhhhh"

You're right, spoiled is hollow - it's more about being ignorant. Some of us would like to raise the bar here. Others have lowered it into the pits with their mindless venting.

The Colts have yet to win a game at their shiny new Lubradome. Manning and Roethlisberger had worse games today than a friggin' backup who hadn't started since HS...6 points and 8 sacks for Ben...1 TD and 2 INTS for Peyton. Tampa Bay somehow won with a QB posting a 47 rating who threw three picks while Garcia rode the pine because Gruden thinks he's worse...and 32 teams passed on Culpepper because he can't play...Derek Anderson went to the pro bowl last year and this year he's useless. Briz wants O'Connell to start because he ignores what happened to Ryan last week or Flacco this week. JT O'Sullivan looks great through 3 weeks on his 10th team in 7 seasons...the Chargers are staring at 0-3 and the JETS at 1-2 tomorrow night.

The mindless kneejerks here have no perspective. That's the problem. The last time Dolphin fans were this excited was 2006 when they beat us to go 8-8...this is their second win since. We haven't experienced a losing season in 7 years. 114 - 25 and the same nitwits have been over reacting to losses and even criticizing wins this way all along.

As football fans go, to say we're the definition of spoiled is putting it kindly.

Thank you for summing things up perfectly.

Being upset but still being level-headed and rational is fine. No one is happy about the game today. But it doesn't mean we have to panic and pee our pants like some of our new friends here are doing.

Coming across like a total pathetic ****** loser by calling for Chad Jackson, Anyone-But-Cassel, and tanking games is as childish and reactinary as I've ever seen. It's actually ruining this once-great board, where we used to be able to come for insightful analysis, lively debate, and breaking news. I pray for some of these idiots to leave soon.

Being upset but still being level-headed and rational is fine. No one is happy about the game today. But it doesn't mean we have to panic and pee our pants like some of our new friends here are doing.

Coming across like a total pathetic ****** loser by calling for Chad Jackson, Anyone-But-Cassel, and tanking games is as childish and reactinary as I've ever seen. It's actually ruining this once-great board, where we used to be able to come for insightful analysis, lively debate, and breaking news. I pray for some of these idiots to leave soon.

Yes, thank you to Mo, and yourself for being reasonable football fans.

THankfully, we have you to point this out.

They didn't lose, they were embarassed by the worst team in the league at home!

their defense quit, their O-line was run over like mini poodles

and their coach was abysmal

This is a discussion board for venting

but thanks for the "perspective"
Actually it's quite in order.. especially for band wagoners... who lack any depth...

I hate these "spoiled" comments. So hollow. That's your analysis after such a loss? "Well we won four years ago."

It's not about being spoiled. It's about raising the bar. Lower yours if you like.
am glad you HATE these comments about fans being spoiled...because they are right on the money..MANY fans of this team are totally spoiled and lack a real perspective not only of this team but as to what has happened in the past years.. It's a wake up call to many.. Take a few steps back and get a different look at things..THAT is if you can...raise the bar up all u wish...but without persepctive..you will be grumbling even more..not really a fan..because you will be complaining more and more.. and when the team goes the other way in a stretch of time you will be gone...latching on with some other team on teh rise and claiming to be a fan.. Raise the bar up and complain..it can't be reached..ot isn't reached..this entire period of time will be gone quickly and then you will REALLY have a lot of complaining to do

In fairness to the rest of us ******s here. It really is only 1-2 people starting those threads :D. As for the rest of the crap. I've loved the Patriots since I was a little boy, and I'm currently pushing the limits of middle aged. :eek: I suffered though the sh!t years like the rest of you did, when we USED TO BE Miami. I've also been gloriously spoiled during these "Brady/BB" years. I'm sure, god willing, I'll be watching them many years from now whether they are 0-16 or 16-0. Or even if I'm visiting this messageboard or not.

One thing remains constant. When the team takes a big dump on the field, I reserve the right to lament about it for a couple days. They'll be back on the field in a couple weeks and I'll be right there with em' cheering, hoping and prying. JUST LIKE I AWAYS WILL BE.

I shouldn't feel bad about that. I paid my ****ing dues back in 89'-93' and some of those godawful 70's years. Fans talk smack about wins and bemoan losses. That what fans do, in Boston or Bismark.....

The stupid "Tank the year" thread are stupid I agree. But I have no problem with any of the "We played like crap posts". We did, at least yesturday.

Last edited:
The blind homer posts aren't as bad as the 5 year olds telling everyone the world is ending but I don't really see any value in them either.

There is a difference between venting ("our defense played like crap"), which I understand and happily engage in since you can always ask the follow-up question "why" and such a process is every fan's God-given right, and the insane "we're doomed for the season" or "bring in [fill in the blank]" player comments or essentially buy a new team the year after a Super Bowl appearance.

If you disagree with the replacement calls, despite providing substantial explanation for your disagreement, you are a blind homer. This OP and a few others ask for some perspective. I sat through yesterday's beatdown in its entirety when all I wanted to do was turn it off. The team played like garbage on offense and defense, and I do not hear anybody jumping in to defend that argument. But it was just one game.

Losing is an anomaly with the Patriots, so it stings a little more when they happen, but if the last 5 years have taught any lessons it is most problems can be corrected so have a little faith rather than jumping to a conclusion that you know more than Belichick, who up to yesterday appeared to be getting credit for his occasional success in game planning to correct deficiencies, even after bad losses like this one.

Oh my gawd, my team lost! Listen to you all....spoiled by Celtics Championships, Patriots SB Wins and Red Sawks WS Wins.

The PAts had won 21 reg season games in a row. Guess what? TODAY WAS MIAMIS SUPERBOWL. Our QB is out for the year. They out schemed us....

Remember the old days of Boston sports? Lets get some persective here; we arent going to win every game and every championship.
No kidding. Dang, people here react to a regular season loss the way other teams react to a playoff loss. Sad. There was even booing of the Pats yesterday for goodness sake.

It's amazing that we haven't summoned every citizen to gather every last Bruin and burn him on a cross at City Hall under a full moon.
LOL. Excellent.

No, it's about having some faith in your team, despite a bad perfomance. Many here are acting as though it is the end of the world, it's not. At worst it's a wakeup call, not a trend. Embarrassment yes, a reason to lambast your players and coaches? No. Dang, what do these guys have to do to get a bit of the benefit of any doubt? Win 50 in a row and every Super Bowl? Put it behind you and prepare for the good year that history says BB and the Patriots will have.

Everybody take a deep breath and go back five years to opening day 2003.
Buffalo 31 Pats 0 and that was with Tom Brady behind center....
Hopefully yesterday was this year's clunker and it's out of their system.Their 'Buffalo' game as it was and not a " Kansas City" game. By that I'm referring to the 2002 game when the Pats won a Pyrrhic victory, winning the game against the Chiefs but giving up 200+ yards rushing and showing a blueprint to beat the Pats, by running outside as the Pats couldn't set the edge. It's too early to tell but I have a feeling that after the bye week I wouldn't want to be the 49ers..........

Great post.

My bad, I thought this was a discussion board for discussion. That's the problem with this board, far too many people use it just to vent.

I yell at the TV, swear up a storm, spout off stupid nonsense during the game, diss Cassel, Brady, Moss, BB, Josh, and everyone in the heat of the moment. But then I put some perspective on it and don't come to a public forum spouting off nonsense because I need to "vent".
What he said!

In fairness to the rest of us ******s here. It really is only 1-2 people starting those threads :D. As for the rest of the crap. I've loved the Patriots since I was a little boy, and I'm currently pushing the limits of middle aged. :eek: I suffered though the sh!t years like the rest of you did, when we USED TO BE Miami. I've also been gloriously spoiled during these "Brady/BB" years. I'm sure, god willing, I'll be watching them many years from now whether they are 0-16 or 16-0. Or even if I'm visiting this messageboard or not.

One thing remains constant. When the team takes a big dump on the field, I reserve the right to lament about it for a couple days. They'll be back on the field in a couple weeks and I'll be right there with em' cheering, hoping and prying. JUST LIKE I AWAYS WILL BE.

I shouldn't feel bad about that. I paid my ****ing dues back in 89'-93' and some of those godawful 70's years. Fans talk smack about wins and bemoan losses. That what fans do, in Boston or Bismark.....

The stupid "Tank the year" thread are stupid I agree. But I have no problem with any of the "We played like crap posts". We did, at least yesturday.

You're no ****** and you're exactly right. :)

Lamenting over a crap game is fine, IMO. Impugning everything that this team has accomplished is not. It's THOSE people who should go.

Lamenting over a crap game is fine, IMO. Impugning everything that this team has accomplished is not. It's THOSE people who should go.
Very true...it's the way overboard posts that are so so silly...

This guy is 100% right. This was an embarrassing loss but most NFL teams suffer losses like this once or twice a year- even playoff teams. A 10-6 team is, obviously, going to lose 6 games a year and I think that is what we are. We are 2-1 going into our bye and a lot of teams would kill for that. If we go out and lose in SF or if this becomes a habit I will be nervous but for now this was just a very unpleasant loss but not a big deal.

am glad you HATE these comments about fans being spoiled...because they are right on the money..MANY fans of this team are totally spoiled and lack a real perspective not only of this team but as to what has happened in the past years.. It's a wake up call to many.. Take a few steps back and get a different look at things..THAT is if you can...raise the bar up all u wish...but without persepctive..you will be grumbling even more..not really a fan..because you will be complaining more and more.. and when the team goes the other way in a stretch of time you will be gone...latching on with some other team on teh rise and claiming to be a fan.. Raise the bar up and complain..it can't be reached..ot isn't reached..this entire period of time will be gone quickly and then you will REALLY have a lot of complaining to do

Maybe I'm used to reading complete sentences, but I don't follow.

I remember back in the day when this board would discuss defensive formations, breakdown plays, size up opponents strengths and weaknesses the week before the game, accept a win or a loss and move on to the next week, have intelligent discourse with fans from other teams,....etc.

Now, it's Chad Jackson threads, whining about fans booing or whining about fans whining about fans booing, comparing Patriots loyalty like comparing penises, signing every player released by another team or sending next years draft off for a patch, ....etc.

No wonder our fan base is taking on a reputation for having little class.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe