PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Speculation from Carolina Panther writer on Pats going after Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what's it worth.
I have been here 6 years and have heard Peppers say 6 words. he is a Quite person. One of his ex team-mates in on a sports talk show and says he doesn't know much about Peppers. He keeps to himself.

What Peppers did say was "Its not about the money bur rather playing somewhere where he can be happy" He already has his $$.
He also said he doesn't want to be the leader of the team and the MAIN focus of the Media. He just wants to do his job.

Ok, suppose Peppers is ok with a decent contract. No idea if the panthers can match, or even would. But if that worked out ok...

First this year and next. #23 and #32 :D

That still leaves us with 3 second rounders this year, one of which is very high, and addresses a need at OLB, presumably.

Moreover, the #34 could possibly be turned into a lower #2 or extra #3 and a #1 next year.

Better yet is if Carolina would take our #1 and a lower #2 this year. They may not want to, but they're team won't be getting anyone in FA without Peppers off the books, and then they get two more picks this year.

I believe a three-way with KC and Carolina is how this gets done, but we'll have to see. It may simply be a UFO sighting, but it's all we've got for now.

I don't understand your thinking.

There is simply no reason to go out and sign Peppers to an offer sheet and give up 2 #1 picks when we could almost certainly negotiate a deal with him and Carolina to get him for less. That approach is what we would have to do with Suggs, since it would be strictly a "hostile turnover", but Carolina is in a different boat because Peppers has said he doesn't want to play for them anymore, and because his $16.7M cap hit is killing them. Just as we traded Cassel for a 2nd round pick to get out of cap hell, they would jump at a reasonable offer. Even though Peppers hasn't signed the franchise tender, they are being charged the cap hit, and are unable to address other areas of need.

The most likely scenario is that NE simultaneously talks with Peppers and gets an idea what kind of contract he would be willing to sign to figure out if they could make it work, and talks to Carolina about compensation. Two #2s may do it, or our #1 and #3 at the most. Then, if everyone agrees, Peppers signs the franchise tender, is immediately traded to NE and signs a long-term deal.

I personally don't understand how KC getting involved makes this simpler - 3 ways usually make trades more complicated. All we would be giving Carolina is picks, so Carolina and KC could negotiate any deal they wanted without us being involved.

What Peppers did say was "Its not about the money bur rather playing somewhere where he can be happy" He already has his $$.
He also said he doesn't want to be the leader of the team and the MAIN focus of the Media. He just wants to do his job.

Sold for $8.6 million/year!!

If Peppers truly want's to convert to an OLB in a 3-4, then he's probably looking for a one or two year contract for less than insane money because conversions are always a gamble. Considering the Pats ability to coach up and develop players, I could see him coming to NE for reasonable money for a 1 or 2 year deal. NE is also a good candidate because they are AFC, and I'm sure Carolina would prefer to go to the AFC.

I think that the big stubling block for teams will no be the salary, but the price. That 17 mil is handcuffing the Chiefs, and if they can't deal him soon, they may start getting desperate and be forced to let him go for less compensation. Perhaps BB was manipulating the market when he let Cassel go for a 2nd, which could influence Pepper's trade value.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I think it's possible and would be nearly as expensive as people think.

^ he's a perfect fit, if that's the case. there are defensive leaders here already (although with Vrabel and Rodney gone and Bruschi on the way....who exactly are they now??)

i think the main thing is that carolina is going to want too much. pep is good but the no.23 and our low 2nd, perhaps the 58, is about all i'd give up for him. anything more than that i'd be concerned about, considering he's a conversion project. if they ask for the no.23 and 34, for example, you're going to have a 17 million dollar guy on your roster this year.

I have no inside info but all signs point to Peppers just not being happy here in Charlotte. Besides; Carolina doesn have enought $$ to sign anyone at the moment and they also lost a couple of backup OL in FA.

Ok, suppose Peppers is ok with a decent contract. No idea if the panthers can match, or even would. But if that worked out ok...

First this year and next. #23 and #32 :D

That still leaves us with 3 second rounders this year, one of which is very high, and addresses a need at OLB, presumably.

Moreover, the #34 could possibly be turned into a lower #2 or extra #3 and a #1 next year.

Better yet is if Carolina would take our #1 and a lower #2 this year. They may not want to, but they're team won't be getting anyone in FA without Peppers off the books, and then they get two more picks this year.

I believe a three-way with KC and Carolina is how this gets done, but we'll have to see. It may simply be a UFO sighting, but it's all we've got for now.

I don't think that it would take 2 #1s. I think that #23 and maybe a third round pick would get it done. There are several reasons I think the Panthers would accept less than market value from us. They lack a first round pick this year, and the 3 other teams that Peppers wants to be traded to are in the NFC. No way would the Panthers prefer to trade Peppers to a team they would see twice a year (same division or reg. season and playoffs).

The Patriots appear to be the only viable option for dealing Peppers. In much the same way that KC was the only team in the market for Matt Cassel at the start of free agency. I bet the Panthers want to free up the cap space like we did if they think Peppers will hold out.

Probably setting myself up for a *big* fall but im now convinced this is going to happen

Probably setting myself up for a *big* fall but im now convinced this is going to happen

I'm kind of getting there too. But it sounds like the Carolina GM may just ask for too much as a pride thing. The truth is, the Panthers need some backup OLs, but they don't have any huge needs outside of that. I think they can afford to just keep Peppers around because they think he's worth more than the no.23 pick.

It would be a dumb move unless they think he's going to be a huge contributor this season and they want to make a deep playoff run. If they don't deal him this year, they'll get nothing for him and pay 17 million for him.

On a "does this make sense for both teams?" level, it's a no brainer. My guess is they're talking about this right now but Carolina's asking too much (or Peppers wants an unreasonable contract).

I'm kind of getting there too. But it sounds like the Carolina GM may just ask for too much as a pride thing. The truth is, the Panthers need some backup OLs, but they don't have any huge needs outside of that. I think they can afford to just keep Peppers around because they think he's worth more than the no.23 pick.

It would be a dumb move unless they think he's going to be a huge contributor this season and they want to make a deep playoff run. If they don't deal him this year, they'll get nothing for him and pay 17 million for him.

On a "does this make sense for both teams?" level, it's a no brainer. My guess is they're talking about this right now but Carolina's asking too much (or Peppers wants an unreasonable contract).

Most likely on Carolina's end bc Peppers already said he doesnt need all that money!

"i think the main thing is that carolina is going to want too much. pep is good but the no.23 and our low 2nd, perhaps the 58, is about all i'd give up for him. anything more than that i'd be concerned about, considering he's a conversion project. if they ask for the no.23 and 34, for example, you're going to have a 17 million dollar guy on your roster this year."

I am not saying a want or don't want Peppers BUT' right now the Panthers can't so anything until they settle this with him one way or another.
There hands are tied.

Most likely on Carolina's end bc Peppers already said he doesnt need all that money!

Yea, I believe that about as much as I believe I'm going to get my share of the stimulus package. :bricks:

Holy crap!!!Look at all that falling shmoe!!!
icon10.gif

Last edited:
Yea, I believe that about as much as I believe I'm going to get my share of the stimulus package. :bricks:

Exactly. I want this deal to go down as much as the next guy, but I'm having trouble seeing us give a boatload of loot to someone when we need to at least try to retain 4 of our top 5 guys on the D-line to begin with. By next yr, only Warren will be signed out of the starting 3 plus Green and Wright. We certainly wouldn't give JP more than Wilfork right? At this point, they're both going to want about 10 mill a yr--or at least in that range. This also assumes that we would let Big Sey walk next yr, which I'm not too thrilled about already. I understand all about building through the draft, etc, etc--but we got somewhat lucky with Mayo this yr being able to really produce in yr 1, after all there's a learning curve and it's a pretty complex system.

After having some trouble giving a proven system guy like Moss 9 mill/yr, and flat out turning down Samuel for about 8-9 mill/yr, (that worked well,now we're negotiating w/ guys like Leigh Bodden and Jabari Greer for 6-7 mill/yr) I can only hope that Julius Peppers would agree to something reasonable--and that I have a hard time believing. I know you can't compare positions, players, and cost every time to every deal, but common sense says that it would create some bad feelings for some of our own guys who will want big money too. And just like Florio pointed out in his site today, once we take care of our next huge contract then we really should bump up Tommy's money also via extention or new deal.

Considering all of this has to take place in all reality, I am skeptical to get excited about bringing in a HUGE money unproven player in our system, no matter what the talent is. In a lot of ways I hope I'm wrong however;)

Anyone know what Sasquatch's 3-cone time is? At about 9' tall he would realy clog the passing lanes. If he can hold the edge and cover the TE, and his contract is reasonable, I'd give him a look. :D
No good. The NFL uniform police will make him tuck in his jersey. Too much hair. Will make Polamalu look like Kojack.
DW Toys

Schefter was just on the Dan Patrick show, and he said emphatically that Peppers was not coming to NE. He is usually pretty much right on with this stuff. He said that their was no way that the mangenius was going to Denver, back when BSPN was reporting that it was going to happen.

His blog also states that Peppers will be very hard to trade because he has not sign his tender:

NFL.com Blogs Adam Schefter

Now that QB Matt Cassel has been dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs, trade speculation has shifted to another franchised player, Carolina Panthers DE Julius Peppers.

Yet the two situations are as different as the two players.

Peppers has a franchise tender and cannot be traded until he signs it, which means any trade discussions must go through his agent, Carl Carey. Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, Carolina is prohibited from discussing a deal for Peppers with another team. If the Panthers did, it immediately would bring an NFL Players Association grievance.

These are minor points but points of clarity. New England was able to trade Cassel. Carolina cannot trade Peppers — not until he has signed his franchise tender, which he has not.

And it’s hard to envision finding a team that would satisfy Peppers’ wishes and the Panthers’ asking price.

Schefter has no intel on this one, though, unless Peppers or his agent are talking to him.

If we get Taylor for a bit, I'd be satisfied with ignoring the Peppers thing.
We need to grow guys from the inside, but the vet leadership of a Taylor will have a similar impact as a Bruschi on Mayo.

Schefter was just on the Dan Patrick show, and he said emphatically that Peppers was not coming to NE. He is usually pretty much right on with this stuff. He said that their was no way that the mangenius was going to Denver, back when BSPN was reporting that it was going to happen.

His blog also states that Peppers will be very hard to trade because he has not sign his tender:

NFL.com Blogs Adam Schefter

Now that QB Matt Cassel has been dealt to the Kansas City Chiefs, trade speculation has shifted to another franchised player, Carolina Panthers DE Julius Peppers.

Yet the two situations are as different as the two players.

Peppers has a franchise tender and cannot be traded until he signs it, which means any trade discussions must go through his agent, Carl Carey. Under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement, Carolina is prohibited from discussing a deal for Peppers with another team. If the Panthers did, it immediately would bring an NFL Players Association grievance.

These are minor points but points of clarity. New England was able to trade Cassel. Carolina cannot trade Peppers — not until he has signed his franchise tender, which he has not.

And it’s hard to envision finding a team that would satisfy Peppers’ wishes and the Panthers’ asking price.

The Puppet Schefter also said at the Combine that New England would keep Cassel as insurance. :p

I don't think Peppers is coming here, but I would imgine Bill is kicking the tires and seeing what it will take.

Carolina can't afford $17 Million for one dude and then have him walk next year - They are going to do everything in their power to unload him - however signing him will be the real problem - Straight cash, Homey.

Last edited:
I really hope with Carolina being tight against the salary cap we could force them into a situation sort of like the one that happened to us with Cassel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes