Welcome to PatsFans.com

Something Strange Going On With Easterbrook

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by aluminum seats, Sep 25, 2007.

1. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. FloridaPatsFan

FloridaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I almost never miss a TMQ column and have always felt that he was a bit of a Patriot fan himself....but after last weeks column....I was shocked. He really has hatred for us now.....

And I say this even before I read his column this week....Reading BTL on your post I'm guessing he's taken it to another level...
  3. Slagathor

Slagathor Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Isn't it obvious?

Last week, his stupid coulumn got more views and publicity than it ever has.

The guy must've been beside himself with all the attention he got.

Now he's just milking it for more.

He found the pot o' gold. THE BORGES FORMULA!!!!!!

If I piss people off by writing dumb inflammatory stuff, I will get the attention I so crave. :bricks:
  4. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I have no idea where you'd get that. Easterbrook has had an ax to grind against the Pats for years. His comments, especially during the SB runs, were peppered with references to luck and beneficial calls/non-calls. Conversely, in several years of reading him, I don't remember him even once mentioning that the Pats got hosed on a call. During the 21-game streak, he was begging for someone, anyone, to beat them.

Now he just sounds like an idiot. I used to think he was relatively well-reasoned, but lately he's coming off as a joke.
  5. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Can someone summarize? I also used to be a big TMQ fan but now I refuse to read it. Thanks.
  6. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0

Disable Jersey

Pats cheated
    NFL covered up
    Pats cheated
    NFL covered up
    Pats cheated
    Romeo et. al. suck as coaches 'cause they lost the benefit of BB's cheating
    Pats cheated

The guy writes for the agenda obsessed, fact hating New Republic, 'nuff said
  7. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

I just read this week's TMQ, and I can say is, "Wow." He really thinks he's Bob Woodward-esque.
  8. aluminum seats

aluminum seats Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Just a lot of tinfoil-hat conspiracy stuff about the tapes the Pats turned over. Why were they destroyed? What took so long to turn them over? Was there footage of the grassy knoll on them? etc. etc.

Come to think of it, I think he's one of those guys that Watergate made such an impression on he gets all excited about the idea of conspiracies. Good you're not reading it, actually--keep his traffic down.
  9. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

After Aiello twice declined to say what the Patriots' materials showed, I heard from him a third time Sunday. He wrote in an e-mail that my assumption the tapes contained indications of Super Bowl cheating is "wrong," then wrote, "There is no such evidence regarding the Patriots' Super Bowl victories." So, is this the denial that I've been seeking? But wait: Three days earlier, the NFL destroyed the evidence. I asked Aiello whether he meant there is no evidence now of New England cheating in a Super Bowl -- that is, after the destruction of the files -- or whether examination of the materials positively affirmed no cheating. He did not reply.

He goes on and on about the "non-denial denial" while glossing over the part I bolded, you know, the flat-out denial.
  10. FloridaPatsFan

FloridaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok.

I have a thought on this matter.

Easterbrook is saying something fishy is going on with the destruction of the evidence the Patriots sent to the league office. He says that there is a possiblity that the Patriots may have cheated in their SB victories. It is complete SPECULATION.

I think the league was publicly embarrased by FOX Sports playing the tape they confiscated from the Patriots the same week they recieved it. A clear indication that someone from the league office had leaked it.

So if the Patriots had threatened with a lawsuit against the league for leaking evidence to the press (air-tight proof), perhaps Goodell viewed the new evidence and found it to be more of the same (as the Jets tape) and in an attempt to avoid more embarrasment and potential lawsuits, ordered them to be destroyed so that this time he could guarentee no leaking of tapes to the press......And in return...the Patriots drop thier lawsuit against the league.

Thoughts?
  11. Na_polian

Na_polian Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It COULD be that, or, maybe it's just that Easterbrook is a douche.
  12. denverpatsfan

denverpatsfan PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He can't let it go. Everyone loves a good conspiracy theory. It sells.

What he is saying is that since the NFL won't come out and say explicitly that there was no evidence of "cheating" in the Super Bowls due to the taped signals, there must have been cheating, or they wouldn't have destroyed the tapes so soon.

I am done with GE.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  13. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Total B.S. speculation. Silly. Generating hits and revenue. It's horsecrap and continues to show a fundamental lack of understand in terms of what was GAINED and what was implimented. It's totally retarded, but don't let that get in the way of a good, if entirely fictional, story.
  14. danny88

danny88 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

MAYBEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  15. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

Exactly. People discussed his column all over the country and half the people didn't know who he was and probably can't remember his name now. He is going to milk this gravy train for as long as he can.
  16. FloridaPatsFan

FloridaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks Na Polian....I agree now more than ever. I think Easterbrook is losing sleep over the patriots. Would not surprise me if he even writes a book about it.
  17. DGameguy

DGameguy Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

To be honest, I'm not all that surprised by this from Easterbrook. Modern day Nazis often look to conspiracy theories to hold up their twisted points-of-view. Maybe it's because of Kraft. Easterbrook has made anti-semitic comments in the past, maybe this is now his opening to attack. I should say that I never have really been a fan of his articles.

The whole Aiello's lack of a reply is nothing. Aiello already answered his question. Im sure he didn't mean that there was NOW no evidence that it was destroyed.
  18. danny88

danny88 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Haha this clown will be penning aritcles about this when no one gives a ****. What waste of life.
  19. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think you are pretty close on this.

Goodell came to the realization that the Pats and every other team in the NFL has bootlegs on bootlegs of non NFL-sanctioned game film in their vaults. It could have shot from from sideline cameras, the stands, to press-boxes, etc.

So Goodell asks the Pats for their entire library of bootleg tapes to make the competition committe happy. The Pats ask if the commish will go after the other teams and request that their bootleg tapes be confiscated. The NFL says we have no reason to suspect the other teams. The Pats ask what reason do you have to believe we have more. NFL says people told us. Pats say we tell you that the Jets and every other team has tape on us and you are compromising this season's comeptitive landscape by making us turn over all our tapes and not anyone elses. NFL says fine, we'll bury it and send out a memo to the other 31 teams. I'm sure there was some give and take over the phone on this, but my gut tells me how it went down. If they got more than 2more tapes from the Jets game i'd be shocked.

IMO, this thing could have become a witch hunt and exposed alot of unsavory aspects of the game that the fans dont want to know.
  20. BostonBullit

BostonBullit Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

"If a big American institution such as the NFL is not being honest with the public about a subject as minor, in the scheme of things, as the Super Bowl, how can we expect American government and business to be honest with the public about what really matters?"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH....seriously, I think he thinks he's on his way to a pulitzer or something with this story....years from now students in Journalism II are going to be studying him and mentioning him in the same breath as Woodward and Bernstein....what a tool :rolleyes:
  21. FloridaPatsFan

FloridaPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good points.

From what I have heard about Belechick is that he tapes EVERYTHING. Even practices....So if he sends the league all of his crap, they could be watching the stuff until Christmas.

So they probably went through random tapes and concluded that it all amounted to the same stuff as the Jets game.
  22. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

He actually implied that when Aiello said there was no such evidence, he was really saying 'since we burned it'. Then he goes on to describe his wonderful relation ship with Aiello, however, the quotes from Aiello suggests he thinks Easterbrook is a moron.
  23. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

24. vyrago

vyrago Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Easterbook's ridiculous obsession prompted this response from Bill Simmons in his week 3 picks column:

(That reminds me, after CameraGate was played up for more than a week on every major network and Web site, this story was practically buried on Thursday night. That's right, it's the "we have no further evidence that the Patriots cheated and this investigation is closed" story. Sorry to disappoint everyone, although it was worth it to see Gregg Easterbrook's impression of Joe McCarthy this week. Can we all move on now?)
  25. He Ban Me

He Ban Me Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Speculation? Sure, but certainly you can understand where folks would interpret this entire episode (post Costas interview) as odd. One minute, they are waiting for files. The next they are all burned, case closed?? And no one is inquiring WTF??? Maybe I read it wrong, but as of Sunday, League was awaiting the files, BUT the FINES had been handed out. YET the punishment was supposedly due in part not only to the Jets game, but past transgressions as well (sounded like that is how Aiello stated it)?? How would they know the VOLUME of those past transgressions before having files in hand?

Hey, it seems to be over, but the ending is certainly questionable.
  26. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I was waiting for him to roll two steel balls in his hand mumbling about strawberries, strawberries..........
  27. dryheat44

dryheat44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +21 / 1 / -0

#75 Jersey

I don't see much strange at all. He's schtick has always been "I'm smarter than you and every NFL coach, I understand football better than you and every NFL coach, and I'm a better, more moral person that you and every NFL coach."

Seriously, I started reading him six years ago (stopped reading him last year), and he's been a preachy know-it-all from day 1.
  28. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

A reliable source told me that the Kraft Group is a loyal EMC client. These guys buy EMCs Centra SAN gear like it's going out of style. Think about it. If he has EVERY Pats game. EVERY pres-season game. EVERY practice. EVERY other team's pre-season and regular season. PLUS the bootleg stuff??? Ellis Hobbs says that they team shows him 3 sometimes 4 angles of plays so times everything by 3/4. Then there are the network feeds. It's staggering. So how the hell is the NFL able to determine which video is sanctioned and not-sanctioned? They have a better chance of finding Jimmy Hoffa.
  29. Patriotic Fervor

Patriotic Fervor Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The two are not mutually exclusive, you know.

But it probably went down something like this. It's as good a theory as any. I like it.
  30. Grizzafted

Grizzafted Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think it's a good article and maybe the first example of intelligent journalism in this whole affair so far. We're certainly not getting anything like this from Peter "simpleton" King or John Clayton, both of whom are professional embarassments.

Take off the homer glasses, guys. It's a compelling story, and I think it's good for a journalist to be asking tough questions. What I don't like about the article is this: A) it weakens itself by using demagogic language like "Beli-cheat" and B) there's a yellow-journalism slant to it; i.e. "dark shadows exist in scary places even though I haven't produced anything to imply that but innuendo."

I think it's entirely possible that there was footage of defensive coordinators who coached the Eagles, Rams, or Cats. I also think that behind closed doors, most of the league understands that the benefit derived from tapes like that is minimal, and that it would only have affected a few plays, if any, especially in the Super Bowl, where DCs have two weeks to put together new blitz packages and secondary looks. The vast majority of the league, I think, views the taping as bush league but not a big deal. But the problem for the NFL is that public opinion and incendiary sports journalism won't buy that. They'll run with the story to push viewership, and because it's a very compelling story. In essence, if there were tapes that relate to the Super Bowl games, it would be a disaster for the NFL even though it's unlikely that they had any influence on the games themselves. Under those circumstances, I think it's entirely likely that they would destroy the tapes and sweep it under the rug. What corporation wouldn't? Remember that the NFL is a product, guys, and the track record of US corporate ethics isn't exactly stellar.

I think Easterbrook is trying to make a name for himself here, but that's what journalists do. I'm a huge Pats fan, but I'm a bigger fan of the league itself and what it represents about America. I'd love to know more of the behind the scenes politics that surrounded this situation, which did, in case you forgot, result in the largest punishment the NFL ever gave out to anyone, ever.

Go Pats.