PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some very good draft news:

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we all agree that the Pats had only a few openings on their team, why didn't they do like the Jets and trade as many picks as possible in order to grab two great fits for their team instead of drafting a bunch and cutting most of them?

With all those picks was Merriweather and Richardson, the best we could do?

I tend to think we let an opportunity slip through our fingers.

I think the answer to your question is that the Patriot FO didn't see value in the picks.

My feeling is that they looked at the players left on the board and didn't feel they were X round caliber and decided considering their depth at the time to push the picks in the next draft. Why pick a 5th round caliber player in the 3rd round?

Obviously this is speculation because no matter how much I wish it BB and SP are not calling me and explaining the nuances of their decisions or asking my advice. :D

So if we all agree that the Pats had only a few openings on their team, why didn't they do like the Jets and trade as many picks as possible in order to grab two great fits for their team instead of drafting a bunch and cutting most of them?

What with? They got Merriweather in the first. Got the #7 overall pick this year with their other first. Got Wes Welker with their second. Got Randy Moss with their first fourth. About half of their other picks were non-tradeable. Where was the ammo going to come from in order to move up from late in the fourth round to a spot where they could get an impact player?

Welker and Moss were their impact draftees last year. They fit very well.

You sound just like me. Get set to duck the mud pies DaBruinz is

going to sling at you.

Why were the other picks untradeable? BB could have packaged them (all the day 2 non compensatories [once he knew he was trading a 4th for Moss] for a late 3rd or early 4th.) or rolled them into 2008's draft. He had options, but he let them get away from him.

Why were the other picks untradeable? BB could have packaged them (all the day 2 non compensatories [once he knew he was trading a 4th for Moss] for a late 3rd or early 4th.) or rolled them into 2008's draft. He had options, but he let them get away from him.

Weren't the late round picks compensation for FAs lost? If they were then they can't be traded by league rules.

The Jets have sent their 3rd and 5th picks to Carolina for Kris Jenkins.
The Browns have sent their 2nd rounder to Green Bay for Corey Williams.
(Both per PFT)

The impact? Two teams that run the 3-4 defense have traded three picks, including two good ones, to teams that run the 4-3 defense.
True, but the Jets traded Vilma to the Saints for an undisclosed draft pick. I would guess it's a 3 or a 4.

I think their strategy on day two was to reach to select some players that they could have a look at and slip through to their practice squad. It's a testament to our front office that almost everone we drafted has a multiyear contract somewhere (3 with the colts, 1 with Dallas, 1 with the Jets).

Except that you need someone else willing to trade, and it may be that there really weren't any takers for those day two picks.

True, but the Jets traded Vilma to the Saints for an undisclosed draft pick. I would guess it's a 3 or a 4.

This morning in NY they were saying an undisclosed 2009 pick.

Good for you. How about you back it up with facts and talk about who they could have gone with at each position?

So many people want to second guess the Patriots draft from last year, yet no one wants to actually back it up with who they would have taken instead and who those people would have beaten to make the roster.

True. It is a conditional 3/ 4 for the 2009 draft.

There were 4 day 2 compensatory picks. That left 4 day 2 non-compensatory picks that could have been traded. Remember, they used ONE of them on Kareem Brown, who DID make the Pats roster, but was cut because the Pats had injuries at TE they had to cover for.

Sorry, but you're full of it until you provide a better argument than what you have.

You sound just like me. Get set to duck the mud pies DaBruinz is

going to sling at you.

Just keep running your mouth and proving that you are just WHINING and really don't know what you are talking about.

You have YET to mention who the Pats could have drafted and who that person would have beat to make it onto the Pats roster.

Getting back to the original post, it is great news. Lets say the Patriots do not draft a LB with the #1 (someone from Ohio is taken, or they have traded down). They then get to use the #2 or early #3 on a LB if one is on the board to their liking. Browns are out, and the Jets may have used their #1 on Gholston. You would think Dallas and San Diego are set at LB, not sure what Pittsburgh's needs are and Miami is all over the board. This is good news.

But it's a great trade as far as the Patriots' draft is concerned. If we're looking at guys like Red Bryant, Cliff Avril, Beau Bell, Jon Goff, etc. getting those picks out of the Browns and Jets hands is huge.

In terms of picks, we may also end up with an extra 2nd or 3rd this draft if we end up trading down from #7. As most here agree, this draft has some quality talent through round three at least, so the more picks we have -- the better. In addition, an extra 2nd/3rd is also valuable for any tradeup.

So you're right about the 3-4 competition, the more picks the Pats have, the more control they have regarding 3-4 prospects.

True. It is a conditional 3/ 4 for the 2009 draft.

I guess there is no edit function on this board... Newsday has reported that The Saints reportedly gave up a 2008 draft pick and an undisclosed conditional 2009 draft pick for Jonathan Vilma. Sorry about the error in my previous post (though I thought it was accurate @ the time)

I guess there is no edit function on this board... Newsday has reported that The Saints reportedly gave up a 2008 draft pick and an undisclosed conditional 2009 draft pick for Jonathan Vilma. Sorry about the error in my previous post (though I thought it was accurate @ the time)

I think the edit is only available for a certain period of time - maybe 12 hours?

Why? Where do you think the corners we want will be drafted. Mid second to the end of the third seems right to me. We have three picks in that range and could certainly trade around, perhaps using our own third to move up in the second.

The Pats may be forced to unload some of their picks to get a

decent cornerback.

Why can't we face how badly we picked players in the draft last year? .

I think the answer to your question is that the Patriot FO didn't see value in the picks.

My feeling is that they looked at the players left on the board and didn't feel they were X round caliber and decided considering their depth at the time to push the picks in the next draft. Why pick a 5th round caliber player in the 3rd round?

Obviously this is speculation because no matter how much I wish it BB and SP are not calling me and explaining the nuances of their decisions or asking my advice. :D

Yup, we ended up with Meriweather and Richardson.
The jets ended up with Revis and Harris.

And this is NOT hindsight. Many here wanted Revis and Harris or Griffin and Harris.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes