PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Some perspective on Gronk being the "best player in practice"

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point under the current circumstances (successful record, longer healing process than many initially envisioned), it's difficult for me to imagine any scenario where he returns in the last 2 games before the bye.

We already know that he's going to miss this week vs the NYJ, and judging by his comments of "eventually there will be a decision made," that doesn't give me any reason to believe that they're going to bring him back prior to the bye week.

At this point, I think we see him return for week #11 after the bye, and we'll have to get through the MIA and PIT games without him. Personally, I'm not even going to think twice about it until then. It's looking too much like he's not going to return sooner than that in my opinion.

At this point under the current circumstances (successful record, longer healing process than many initially envisioned), it's difficult for me to imagine any scenario where he returns in the last 2 games before the bye.

We already know that he's going to miss this week vs the NYJ, and judging by his comments of "eventually there will be a decision made," that doesn't give me any reason to believe that they're going to bring him back prior to the bye week.

At this point, I think we see him return for week #11 after the bye, and we'll have to get through the MIA and PIT games without him. Personally, I'm not even going to think twice about it until then. It's looking too much like he's not going to return sooner than that in my opinion.

FWIW, Rosenhaus didn't close the door on clearance coming this week.

No guarantees he plays this week, but it's not yet a given he won't.

So, I wondering when the "Lord and Master" Andrews will call it.:rolleyes:

I'll definitely admit that you're right that nothing is official yet, of course---but with Gronk's thoughts that "nothing has changed" (again), it isn't too difficult to read between the lines here.

At least that's my opinion anyway. Hopefully I am off and we see him return this week obviously, but I think most of us are assuming that won't be the case.

Roesenhaus' wording of " he'll be returning soon..hopefully" and Gronk's wording of " a decision will be made eventually" lead me to believe that they'll wait another few weeks/month until after the bye week, but we're all just playing guessing games, and everyone will likely see things a bit differently.

So, I wondering when the "Lord and Master" Andrews will call it.:rolleyes:

As in many cases, what I see may be way off--but it just appears to me that all parties involved have really attempted to temper the expectations a lot since last week's early positivity.

No one seems to be too optimistic in their comments about waiting for an "any moment" clearance. It least that's how I see it anyway.

It appears to me that it's more of a "next couple/few game" type of thing, and with only 2 games upcoming prior to the bye (after Sun) it is starting to seem like that is a reasonable target date.

Rosenhaus did say that Andrews will evaluate him late this week and well see.

Rosenhaus did say that Andrews will evaluate him late this week and well see.

I'm sure Belichick has two sets of plays ready for the team on Saturday.

This is silly. Mayo, Talib and Amendola played because they felt they could play. In fact, these examples support Gronk's case.

Mayo was pretty ok health wise and this injury was not expected. if Gronk was in a similar state of health, he would have played.

Talib's hip problem could very well be a recurrence of his previous hip issue. Right now, he should just rest for as long as he can. I do not want him rushing back if this could hurt the team near the end of the season or in the play offs.

It's not about bearing with the pain, which I think Gronk can handle (even though it makes him less effective...(see our last SB appearance.). It's playing through unnecessary risks.

Look, when Gronk has rushed back the last time after the broken arm, he was not 100% effective and then broke his arm straight away. Having broken bones myself while playing, I know how that sucks and how tentative it makes you during real games upon the return. I would rather he was 100% fit and the risk of re-injuring himself brought to an absolute minimum.

We scream at players like Dowling for being made of glass but bay for blood when players like Gronk try to take steps to ensure he can play for NE for many years. Let's look a little bit more long term on this.

I'm just a fan and didn't sleep at one of those cutrate hotels last night, and I know this has been beat to death, but the defense of Gronkowski by the fans and media just doesn't convince me. I don't get this idea about how he should be concerned for his career at this point.

I mean, it's good that he's taking care of himself and has concerns about his career. But he doesn't live in a vacuum. His fellow teammates also have careers, and they too are worried about putting their bodies on the line. Wilfork, Mayo, done for the season. Armstead and Vereen on IR. Amendola and Connolly have concussions. Talib a hip problem, etc. I am sure that all these players are worried about their careers, future contracts, whether playing through pain may impact them negatively. But at the end of the day, some of them are laying it on the line. Gronkowski is smart to play it this way, but if a teammate accused him of being selfish, I wouldn't blame the teammate.

Mayo got hurt at the end of a game that the Patriots would have put away if they could move the ball in the second half. Mayo's career has been impacted.

Let's face it, Gronk's arm is not goong to improve. If he's not at 100%, he's not going to get to 100%. 3 surgeries on the arm sucks, but he's getting paid to play when relatively healthy.

Can anyone here tell me that Amendola isn't taking a bigger risk than Gronk when he steps on the field in 2 weeks? Talib--who is going into free agency?

AGAIN, all I'm saying is that the given reasons don't convince me. There may be other good reasons out there. I read last week an article saying that money DOES figure into this. I found that article much less than convincing. Money ALWAYS figures into these decisions. That's how the players are paid in the first place. If contracts were guaranteed, there'd be much less to discuss in that regard.

Gronk broke his forearm, went back out and played because they cleared him to and broke it again with just the slightest impact, and now patriot fans are actually pissed he doesn't want to play based only upon their opinion of his arm?

Really?

If were 1-5 and Gronk was seen partying in Las Vegas this would make more sense, however it is not..

The second injury to the arm and subsequent infection caused everyone's timetable to be off...

What I do notice is that while watching the media portion of practice, Gronk is not wearing anything to protect the arm... which is interesting.

All of this is great fodder for message boards and talk radio.. heard the "Doctors" on the early morning EEI show discussing how this was Gronkowski's fault, because when he was on antibiotics for the infection he continued his drinking ways negating the effect of the antibiotics, even though no one had seen him drinking.

This is silly. Mayo, Talib and Amendola played because they felt they could play. In fact, these examples support Gronk's case.

Mayo was pretty ok health wise and this injury was not expected. if Gronk was in a similar state of health, he would have played.

Talib's hip problem could very well be a recurrence of his previous hip issue. Right now, he should just rest for as long as he can. I do not want him rushing back if this could hurt the team near the end of the season or in the play offs.

It's not about bearing with the pain, which I think Gronk can handle (even though it makes him less effective...(see our last SB appearance.). It's playing through unnecessary risks.

Look, when Gronk has rushed back the last time after the broken arm, he was not 100% effective and then broke his arm straight away. Having broken bones myself while playing, I know how that sucks and how tentative it makes you during real games upon the return. I would rather he was 100% fit and the risk of re-injuring himself brought to an absolute minimum.

We scream at players like Dowling for being made of glass but bay for blood when players like Gronk try to take steps to ensure he can play for NE for many years. Let's look a little bit more long term on this.

I don't think you understood what I wrote. I said the reasons given for Gronkowski holding out by much of the media don't hold water. There have been articles about his future contract. There have been articles about him not being 100% and the possibility of reinjury. Since I know nothing about his status, I can't say anything one way or another. But I can say that the reasons given by media types and even one member of his family don't hold water. Every one risks injury and everyone has their contracts and career on the line.

Like I said, if Amendola comes back in a week or so, no one in the media (or on this board) can say that Gronk is at greater risk career wise than Amendola is.

Well, news just out that Gronk has been cleared to play.

I go by BB's 'it is what it is' words and try to avoid all speculations and discussions on a subject that none of us know anything about.

Pray that Gronk is 100% ready to contribute and not forced to take a decision. After all, he is one of a kind and we want him with us for a long time.

Gronk broke his forearm, went back out and played because they cleared him to and broke it again with just the slightest impact, and now patriot fans are actually pissed he doesn't want to play based only upon their opinion of his arm?

Really?

Did you ever even WATCH THE PLAY, do you just have selective memory or are you intentionally mis-representing in order to make a point that isnt true or justifiable otherwise?

He was likely to break that arm falling like that no matter how healthy it was.

He went out there and tried to do the superman thing on the sidelines for extra yards and ended up cartwheeling in the air coming down w/ entire body weight on the arm.
To top it off; he did the worst possible thing to brace for a fall --- STICK YOUR ARM OUT. Your arms are the smallest (least muscular insulated-cushioned), most fragile, and least flexible limbs. Putting his entire 260+ lbs of body weight (at acceleration) and trying to defeat gravity with that one single arm was a FORELORN HOPE.

You can argue that he was too agressive personally; and should have just run out the sidelines (a la Lloyd) for a few games til he got back into it; but how he chose to pursue the end of that play ( IMHO ) was on him and not on the coaches / team for putting him back on the field at all.

Football players play dinged up from Game 1 through game 17+; that is just the way it is.

Attachments

• Gronk Arm-v Texans.JPG
    Gronk Arm-v Texans.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 26

Really?

Slightest Hahahahahahaha, thanks for getting my morning laugh out of the way. Gronk used the arm to break his fall, taking all his momentum and weight into that arm. The bone that contacted the plate couldn't hold together. It happens. But it never broke in the same place. It was all due to the darn plate. Try again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents