PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So why did Denver get thumped so bad in 2013?

Because Peyton Manning.

Care to show a single play where Kam looked debilitated by his injury?
No

I don't feel like piecing together a sport science segment on how Kam's performance in the superbowl may have differed than any other game. Believe what you want. But you might want to get your head checked if you honestly believe their secondary was 100% and that their injuries didn't have any impact on the game.

No

I don't feel like piecing together a sport science segment on how Kam's performance in the superbowl may have differed than any other game. Believe what you want. But you might want to get your head checked if you honestly believe their secondary was 100% and that their injuries didn't have any impact on the game.

I'm just saying, you seem to be drawing some comparison between the Seahawk's secondary and Gronkowski, who played in the 2011 Superbowl as a sorry attempt at a decoy, limp and all, and couldn't even beat a slow, lumbering linebacker. Meanwhile, 3 years later, the announcers were going out of their way to say how great Seattle's guys looked, and how their so called injuries weren't slowing them down one iota.

What role did it play? Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor played the entire game.
Gronk played in the 2011 SB too. Just because you play doesn't mean you're able to be as effective as you normally are.

You're right. Being on the field = 100% ability all the time no exceptions.

Gronk's ankle in 2012 clearly didn't slow him down at all because he played and that's all that matters.

:rolleyes:

There was a lot of speculation and debate about these players the week before the game. Keep in mind that 2 of the 3 had UPPER body injuries so unlike Gronkowki they could still run. One player has an knee injury however another poster asked for you to show a single play where the 3rd player (Kam) looked debilitated by his injury. During the game, there was no discernible drop off.

Gronk played in the 2011 SB too. Just because you play doesn't mean you're able to be as effective as you normally are.

Already answered. During the game, there was no discernible drop off.

No

Yet you offer no proof. Donte Hightower has a bad shoulder too. No? In fact, is it fair to say that the majority of the players on the field that day had pain to deal with after playing a full season. To get to the point I do not believe Seattle can say that injuries cost them the game. We must respectfully disagree.

Yet you offer no proof. Donte Hightower has a bad shoulder too. No? In fact, is it fair to say that the majority of the players on the field that day had pain to deal with after playing a full season. To get to the point I do not believe Seattle can say that injuries cost them the game. We must respectfully disagree.

lol

3 of the elite members of their secondary were dealing with bad injuries

I cant even imagine how many threads and posts there would be here if we dealt with similar issues

Already answered. During the game, there was no discernible drop off.
Yes SammyBlueCat

as an expert football analysis your opinion is above reproach. How dare anybody suggest the Seattle defense was anything less than 110% because that somehow diminishes the Patriots win.

Excuse me Jangles but you stated that their injuries played a role in the outcome of the game. Did you watch the game? All three played, all three performed. What exactly is your point? That they played through pain? Point conceded. What was the role that these injuries had in the outcome of the game?

Broncos fans will tell you its because the LOB was injured this year and were healthy last year.

Let's clear the obvious out of the way:

Tom Brady > Peyton Manning, and it isn't even close.

Bill Belichick and his staff > John Fox and his staff, and it isn't even close.

With the obvious out of the way, why did such a talented group of receivers and offensive weapons fail so spectacularly, and fall so limp, on the greatest stage of them all, while the Patriots v Seahawks played itself out like a true heavyweight fight, now being praised by many as the greatest Superbowl of all time?

Offensive line:

Manning apologists were quick to throw the offensive line under the bus, and blame everything on them, but Brady didn't have a ton of time either. Chris Collinsworth mentioned that, during Seattle practices, a whistle was being blown 2.5 seconds after the snap, because that's all the time they would have before Tom got rid of the ball. Peyton's release is basically the same, yet the game didn't play out the same for both quarterbacks.

Two thoughts on this after watching a little of the Denver v Seattle Superbowl yesterday:

1. Tom's pocket awareness is really incredible, and he's so good at sensing the rush coming from his sides, stepping up into the pocket, and firing a laser down the field for a completion.

2. Peyton Manning is a pocket sloth and doesn't do much in the way of footing and pocket adjustments. He panics and does stupid stuff, or gets swallowed by edge rushers that Tom would have avoided by stepping up and rocketing the ball downfield.

3. Peyton Manning's deer-in-headlights look against quality postseason defenses just really cannot be understated, as much as his worshippers refuse to acknowledge its existence. Remember back in high school when you saw a kid who doesn't like to fight, get in one? That's what Peyton looks like in these situations.

Conclusion: Blaming Denver's offensive line, and pretending New England's was worlds better, is laughable. The offensive lines looked to me like they played basically the same. The difference was the quarterbacks.

Receivers:

Denver's receivers looked like they did not want to get hit. This isn't the first time its been said. The entire world said the same thing about the game. In the words of Steven A Smith, "Kam Chancellor and those boys put a hat on 'em."

Is it fair or unfair to blame Peyton Manning's sulking gomer pile routine on this? At first glance, it might seem unfair to blame Peyton Manning for everything, but this has been the story of his receivers going back to Indianapolis. Why do Peyton Manning's receivers never play like they would run through a brick wall for him, while Patriot receivers always play like they would for Psycho Tom? Is it fair to say each quarterback brings a certain level of intensity to their team that inspires a certain culture and toughness?

Patriot receivers looked passionate about winning won for Tom, just like they were passionate about shutting up Tom's critics after week #4.

Peyton's receivers looked like they could care less, and cashed out after the first few big hits, and weren't interested in braving the fire for a quarterback who was pouting in the 1st quarter.

Conclusion: Peyton Manning is not a leader, and this had a ripple effect across the entire team. The Denver defense, I thought, over achieved in that game, but with no faith in the soul-sucking Manning face mounting any historic comeback, which is the opposite mentality seen on the Patriots sideline, they gave up in the 2nd half. The entire Denver team was ready to go home shortly thereafter.

So with my psychoanalysis on Peyton Manning teams out of the way, which I think is absolutely fair, following a clear trend going back to Indianapolis, and amplified even further in Denver with a bunch of young rookies left to follow the lead of a stat-compiler, regular season glory hound utterly lacking in championship spirit, I hope the X's and O guys can come in to provide further explanation.

Phenomenal Analysis!!
smiley_headbanger.gif

I predicted on my Blog that the 3 Point Dog SeaHawks would smack Hell out'f the Broncos and win 34-17.

And you boiled down the reason beautifully: The Broncos Offense wasn't mentally tough, and it started with Manning. It had absolutely nothing to do with X's & O's. It was Morlocks versus Eloi, baby!!

Last edited:
Get the impression Elway thought it was due to coaching.

As do I. Problem with that line of thinking is the guy doing the thinking.

01 ~ That ferocious Panther Team that fought us to the bitter end in Super Bowl 38 was led by John Fox.
02 ~ If last Year's Broncos lacked Testicular Fortitude ~ they did ~ it wasn't the coaching.
03 ~ But I'll defer to John Elway's extensive expertise in getting destroyed on Super Bowl Sundays.

Here's the main reason as I see it: The Pats were willing to torment the 'Hawks with the (very) short yardage game.

I am sick to tears of Dink & Dunk.

How in the name of GOD are we ever supposed to compete for a freaking Super Bowl if...

Oh...

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :D

Yeah, they looked like they played all right. Would never have really guessed anyone was terribly hurt. I find it deeply amusing that before the Superbowl they were dismissive of their injuries and post-defeat, all we hear about is how they all need surgery. Whatever.

I'll give'm some ****ing Surgery.

Dude i am not trolling. That first pick was just a terrible throw. Anyway i am just happy he was able to redeem himself.

Tom Brady has earned the Greatest Ever tag, one Snap at a time.

He is worthy of the most fervent and unrelenting Support, for he is unrelenting.

In short: He's never needed to "redeem" himself.

You, on the other hand...

I have to say that you can't blame any receiver scared to take a hit when Peyton is throwing it. When his arm was fine he got his guys killed and didn't seem to care. Just imagine that you now have to catch a duck w/ Chancellor and others coming your way.

That massive hit Edelman took from Chancellor to ensure our comeback would have possibly been the end of his career if it was thrown by Manning. And if that throw didn't put him down the next one would because Manning is nothing if not thorough. Just ask Collie and Welker......well they may not remember.

Let's not undersell the injuries to their secondary.

I have no sympathy as we've played in plenty of postseasons missing key players or not having them 100%.

But I'm sure that played a role

Exactly! They were injured, but they still played. We played the Giants in SB46 with Gronk not healthy. I'm glad for once we had luck with injuries this season.

I am happy you are happy, but if you have watched any of the miked up programs at all this last week, you would see he remained positive. Just please enough with the body language B.S. You want bad body language? Check out Manning.

Bellachick, I don't know if that poster is trolling or not, but I will say one thing that's caught my eye, was the amount of RZ/2 minute drives INT's that Brady threw 2nd half of the season/playoffs. I'm not overly concerned with it, because I think all but 1 was TB trying to force it to Gronk, but like I said, it def was noticeable to me..

But with that, we still the CHAMPS, and Brady is the GOAT!!!

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back