PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So what teams are going after RB this april?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BionicPatriot

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
With the Cards getting Edge, that leaves Minny, Philly and Bmore ahead of us. All of which will go after a RB. So how likely is it we may possibly get my boy Lendale White?

As patsox23 said yesterday, all the RB except Bush could be there at #21. If the Colts don't sign a FA we might almost hope a couple more are gone and take the last one of the four leaving the Colts out in the cold. One thing I think is for sure now, one of Bush (not him of course), White, Maroney or Williams will almost certainly be there at #21.

In theory I would prefer an OL but with the OL much deeper this year, we could get a much better OL than RB in round 2.

Last edited:
Jamal Lewis is still out there. He will probably go back to Baltimore
or Philly. Minny signed Chester Taylor. Might go defense on draft day.
If they trade Culpepper, could draft a qb. Minny could trade Culpepper
to Oak and swap 1st. Then pick Vince Young. Let's wait to see
where all the free agent dominoes fall before we project draft needs.

RB? Naw...

I may not be able to read Belichcick's mind but there is only one back I suspect he would want in the first round and that is LW based on pure size.

That's assuming that Belichick is not concerned that LW wouldn't eat himself out of a job like Ron Dayne did.

I also think that Belicick has waited patiently to get his future star LBs for three drafts now. The prospects are there (finally!!) and I think he is going to take a couple to groom. And I'm not talking about fifth round projects to turn into reserves like Chatham.

He doesn't need a RB high anyways. Steve Davis and Fred Taylor and Michael Bennett are all out there still. All are suitable to rotate with Dillon, and provide depth and former first round running ability.

When guys "lose it" it doesn't usually mean they can't still get a good run in, it usually means thaey can't do if for 20 -30 carries a game anymore. Rotating Davis and Dillon would let both go hard for 15 carries. Actually Dillon seldom got 30 carries because Kevin Faulk got a half dozen third down run/pass snaps.

So the big backs would likely share more like 10-12 in a rotation.

This team won two Super Bowls with Antowain Smith, and a respectable but not truly feared running game. And he never was in the Dillon or Davis category. Even he might be nice depth too...

My gut tells me if the Pats want a RB they will acquire one via FA. Corey has a year or 2 left and as much as I would love to see them draft a Maroney or White I just don't see them doing it. BB thinks defense, defense, defense and I cannot disagree with that. Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson or Richard Marshall most likely round 1 selection..... Call me kooky..... :rocker:

BelichickFan said:
As patsox23 said yesterday, all the RB except Bush could be there at #21. If the Colts don't sign a FA we might almost hope a couple more are gone and take the last one of the four leaving the Colts out in the cold. One thing I think is for sure now, one of Bush (not him of course), White, Maroney or Williams will almost certainly be there at #21.

In theory I would prefer an OL but with the OL much deeper this year, we could get a much better OL than RB in round 2.

I don't think that the Colts will be left out in the cold. It's more likely that your scenario for the Pats is one that plays out for the Colts. Even if those big four running backs are gone when the Colts pick in the first, they could trade down into the second round and get Calhoun or Addai.

I think Houston and Baltimore and maybe Green Bay are the only teams that will spend a high pick on a RB before the Colts pick. The Pats could fall into that group as well, but most here seem to think that won't be the case. It's going to be intersting to see how it shakes out.

workhorse said:
Even if those big four running backs are gone when the Colts pick in the first, they could trade down into the second round and get Calhoun or Addai.
Or they could trade down to the 5th round and take a RB then . . . Addai or Calhoun is a big drop from Edge.

BelichickFan said:
Or they could trade down to the 5th round and take a RB then . . . Addai or Calhoun is a big drop from Edge.

Most RBs are a big drop, including ones in the league already. But most thought that Edge was a not woth picking over Ricky Williams. Only time will tell.

BionicPatriot said:
With the Cards getting Edge, that leaves Minny, Philly and Bmore ahead of us. All of which will go after a RB. So how likely is it we may possibly get my boy Lendale White?

I don't believe that Minny will go after a RB. I think that the Colts will though. I also don't think that Philly will go after a RB. Baltimore might, though there is talk of them looking at a QB...

workhorse said:
Most RBs are a big drop, including ones in the league already. But most thought that Edge was a not woth picking over Ricky Williams. Only time will tell.
Maybe, but Edge was still the 4th pick of the draft and was expected to be a top half of the first round pick. Settling for a guy like Addai would put Manning in a much tougher situation . . . and we all know how he chokes when the pressure is on.

AzPatsFan said:
I may not be able to read Belichcick's mind but there is only one back I suspect he would want in the first round and that is LW based on pure size.

That's assuming that Belichick is not concerned that LW wouldn't eat himself out of a job like Ron Dayne did.

I also think that Belicick has waited patiently to get his future star LBs for three drafts now. The prospects are there (finally!!) and I think he is going to take a couple to groom. And I'm not talking about fifth round projects to turn into reserves like Chatham.

He doesn't need a RB high anyways. Steve Davis and Fred Taylor and Michael Bennett are all out there still. All are suitable to rotate with Dillon, and provide depth and former first round running ability.

When guys "lose it" it doesn't usually mean they can't still get a good run in, it usually means thaey can't do if for 20 -30 carries a game anymore. Rotating Davis and Dillon would let both go hard for 15 carries. Actually Dillon seldom got 30 carries because Kevin Faulk got a half dozen third down run/pass snaps.

So the big backs would likely share more like 10-12 in a rotation.

This team won two Super Bowls with Antowain Smith, and a respectable but not truly feared running game. And he never was in the Dillon or Davis category. Even he might be nice depth too...

To my knowledge, Fred Taylor hasn't been cut from the Jaguars yet.

Feep_FLA said:
BB thinks defense, defense, defense and I cannot disagree with that. Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson or Richard Marshall most likely round 1 selection..... Call me kooky..... :rocker:

Amen. If nobody needs RBs and top players are falling, why should that encourage you to snap one up as soon as possible? You rush to take a guy when there's a run on talent at that position. This year IMO you hold tight and wait for the likes of a Joseph Addai or DonTrell Moore to fall into your lap in a later round. With the best crop of LBs in years, I'd be pretty disappointed with a first-round running back.

patchick said:
Amen. If nobody needs RBs and top players are falling, why should that encourage you to snap one up as soon as possible? You rush to take a guy when there's a run on talent at that position. This year IMO you hold tight and wait for the likes of a Joseph Addai or DonTrell Moore to fall into your lap in a later round. With the best crop of LBs in years, I'd be pretty disappointed with a first-round running back.

The voice of reason right here, sports fans. I think this will be a draft we all look back on and say...... What a draft that was! Much like 2001 :rocker:

Minnesota just signed Chester Taylor. I'd be shocked if he would sign that quick without some sort of firm-ish guarantee that the starting spot is his to lose.

patsox23 said:
Minnesota just signed Chester Taylor. I'd be shocked if he would sign that quick without some sort of firm-ish guarantee that the starting spot is his to lose.

This makes 2 teams ahead of us in the draft that needed RB's and now don't. Can anyone say Lendale white? How do the Pats pass on LW if he falls to 21? wow :rocker:

With Baltimore signing Mike Anderson, do they use their first round pick on a running back? Or do they get something done with Lewis and address another need?

DaBruinz said:
To my knowledge, Fred Taylor hasn't been cut from the Jaguars yet.

Neither was Dillon; but Jax has his successor already signed from last years's draft.
For that matter neither is Bennett but Chester Taylor certainly look like he has taken his job...

I'm not even sure about Steve Davis but I think he is free....

DaBruinz said:
I don't believe that Minny will go after a RB. I think that the Colts will though. I also don't think that Philly will go after a RB. Baltimore might, though there is talk of them looking at a QB...

I agree. I'm not sure the Pats will be looking RB in Round 1, but if we are, it helps that Philly has such a need at receiver.

Now that Lewis resigned with Baltimore, there seem to be out of the first round running back hunt with Lewis and Anderson in their backfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back