PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

So It's a Safety You Want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will not go into the draft without veteran depth at LB, likely two of Seau, Hatwell and Gardner. So, we won't be screwed. You seem to think that DeOssie or Stewart would contribute more this year than Alexander and Woods. I doubt it.

That does mean we shouldn't pick one of them. My preference is Poz (think of him with 10 pounds added). I think he would contribute as would Willis, Harris or Siler. It is indeed a good year for linebackers who might fit our system. This is a very unusual situation.

I believe that DeOssie or Stewart would contribute just as much as either Alexander or Woods. I am not convinced that the Pats are going to bring in 2 more vets. ONE, maybe. Two? Highly unlikely.

Sorry, but I don't believe that Harris or Siler would contribute except as 2 down run stoppers. I was never on the Harris bandwagon as him supposedly being a capable coverage guy.

Yes, it a very unusual year to have so many LB prospects coming out. However, I think that there aren't as many players who "fit in the Patriots schemes" as some people think. Willis and Posluzsny might fit in the WILB position. DeOssie and Stewart might fit in the SILB Position. DeOssie and Stewart might also fit in the SOLB position.

1. LaRon Landy (will never happen)
2. Reggie Nelson (could be there)
3. Eric Weddle (could probably trade down into the 2nd round and still get him)

Mel Kiper's most recent mock draft has us taking Patrick Willis and Reggie Nelson. Of course, that means we probably won't take either, but I would sure wet my pants if he were right.

I'd wet your pants if that happened too.:) Um, what I meant is, I would love that to play out that way. Probably won't, but it would be nice.

Damn, you are ignorant aren't you. You use the 1st round pick to add the DEPTH now so that they can GROW into the starting position. When Bruschi retires. So that they don't have the PRESSURE have having to be a starter from day one. They can come in learn with the intent of being the starter in the future.

The Depth issue ISN'T MOOT. Its HUGE. 1 injury and they are looking at some very mediocre talent on the field. At least with the 1st rounder not under immediate pressure from day 1, they have the chance to learn the position without it being Trial by fire.

This is what I have been trying to explain to people. You draft players to backup, and rotate with starting players their first year, so they can take over for them in year two, or three. BB has done this a lot, so I can't understand why people don't get it. Also, by drafting a starting quality player to rotate with and backup your current starter it gives you a more talented option at backup, incase the current starter goes down. This way you aren't playing street free agents.

Last edited:
I believe that DeOssie or Stewart would contribute just as much as either Alexander or Woods. I am not convinced that the Pats are going to bring in 2 more vets. ONE, maybe. Two? Highly unlikely.

Sorry, but I don't believe that Harris or Siler would contribute except as 2 down run stoppers. I was never on the Harris bandwagon as him supposedly being a capable coverage guy.

Yes, it a very unusual year to have so many LB prospects coming out. However, I think that there aren't as many players who "fit in the Patriots schemes" as some people think. Willis and Posluzsny might fit in the WILB position. DeOssie and Stewart might fit in the SILB Position. DeOssie and Stewart might also fit in the SOLB position.

I agree with a lot of this...
I think DeOssie would be a much better LB than Alexander, but I still think Woods could be a decent player. I agree they shouldn't add more than One vet LB. Vets aren't really what they need. NE already has Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin, and Thomas....How many vets do you need?

I think Harris would be alright, but I actually think Woodley would fit better in NE's system, because of his versatility. I'm not sure about Siler.

I think you have Posluzny somewhat pegged, but I disagree on Willis. He can play all over the place, with his size, run stuffing, coverage, and speed. He has a lot of the same traits that made AD so appealing, and I could see him fitting right in. Personally, I would like to draft a LB who can play multiple positions, and is good at stuffing the run, rushing the passer, and coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes