Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Do you think the Patriots are the best team in the AFC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what's dumber - that he put the Pats #1, or the Steelers #3? The Texans are clearly the class of the AFC right now.

Skip is right. He's been showing major support for the Pats and Tebow, the past year.

Just like Atlanta, Baltimore and Minnesota, I don't think Houston is as good as their record indicates. Just facing a buncha teams that any other team can beat. I hate admitting it the Giants are the only team that looks impressive to me right now, all the others are just down there together.

The Patriots are better than their record. (would be 5-2 if not for the refs) I know the D is giving up a lot of yardage to other teams, especially to garbage QBs, but they don't allow that many points, until the 4th, which is understandable, they are gassed out by then, plus they are winning around that time. So it's up to the offense, like it's been in the past four, five years to keep them alive until the end and McDaniels play-calling, especially in the fourth quarter has been beyond horrendous. If he's not gonna except the fact that Lloyd is no Moss, and keep going for screen passes and running plays on 3rd and long, then the Pats will continue to have these close games, that shouldn't have been so close to start with.

I think Brady needs to improve his deep ball accuracy a little more too. I've seen Gronk deep, open and overthrown about two or three times this year on likely TD plays.

See all you prissies in New Orleans first Sunday in February, unless you want to hang out with Schaub and the rest of the Texans drowning their sorrows in Cabo.

Some perspective:

Since 2000, only 2 teams have actually won the SB with the #1 seed. That's the same number of SB wins as #6 seeds have over the same time frame. And since 2008, 5 #1 seeds have lost in the first round.

So isn't it strange that we pay so much attention to *subjective opinions* by pundits regarding the "best" team during the regular season, when the *objective facts* regarding who the "best" team (i.e the actual #1 seed) after the regular season have proven--time and again--to be such a terrible indicator of the eventual SB winner?

To be clear, I would never argue that higher seeding (and in particular, home-field advantage) is meaningless. But if the actual playoff seeding has repeatedly proven to be of dubious value, then certainly midseason rankings by would-be pundits and hacks (particularly Bayless LOL) is utterly worthless.

Skip is right. He's been showing major support for the Pats and Tebow, the past year.

Just like Atlanta, Baltimore and Minnesota, I don't think Houston is as good as their record indicates. Just facing a buncha teams that any other team can beat. I hate admitting it the Giants are the only team that looks impressive to me right now, all the others are just down there together.

The Patriots are better than their record. (would be 5-2 if not for the refs) I know the D is giving up a lot of yardage to other teams, especially to garbage QBs, but they don't allow that many points, until the 4th, which is understandable, they are gassed out by then, plus they are winning around that time. So it's up to the offense, like it's been in the past four, five years to keep them alive until the end and McDaniels play-calling, especially in the fourth quarter has been beyond horrendous. If he's not gonna except the fact that Lloyd is no Moss, and keep going for screen passes and running plays on 3rd and long, then the Pats will continue to have these close games, that shouldn't have been so close to start with.

I think Brady needs to improve his deep ball accuracy a little more too. I've seen Gronk deep, open and overthrown about two or three times this year on likely TD plays.

I hate to say this but I agree with Skip on this. It's definitely a toss up between the Pats & Texans for the top team in the AFC right now. I don't want to come off as a hater. But I still don't get the Houston hype. Everyone wants to drag the Pats secondary through the mud for giving up over 200+ yards to Sanchez last week. While some of those same people won't mention Sanchez also threw over 200 yards on the beloved Texans as well. Brady & company are capable of doing exactly what Rodgers did to the Texans. I don't trust Schaub in a shootout at all.The Steelers,Broncos & to a degree Chargers would make the playoffs very interesting.

I'm not sure what's dumber - that he put the Pats #1, or the Steelers #3? The Texans are clearly the class of the AFC right now.

Really after Baltimore's debacle Sunday, the pundits could probably just rank Houston and NE, and then lump the rest of the AFC into "everybody else" in the rankings.

Funny though, the NFL landscape tends to have seismic shifts almost weekly, so the current expert "consensus" may have little to do with reality come the playoffs. Many SB winners over the last 10-12 years have had truly ugly stretches along with pronounced (even seemingly insurmountable) weaknesses at various points during their SB seasons.

The Pats haven't proved enough yet to be considered teh best in the AFC. They've got a lot of growing to do. Do they have the talent to become the best in the AFC? Yes. But they need to make major strides before I can say with a straight face, yes they are THE BEST the AFC has to offer.

Skip bayless and colin cowherd are the only pro-patriots/brady host on espn...

I can't stand the sound of Colin CowTurd's voice; what a self-important, arrogant, pro-superstar d-bag.

While some of those same people won't mention Sanchez also threw over 200 yards on the beloved Texans as well. Brady & company are capable of doing exactly what Rodgers did to the Texans. I don't trust Schaub in a shootout at all.

You're assuming that the patriots offense will be it's normal high flying self in that game, which like others have done in this thread, is completely ignoring recent playoff history. In the last 4 playoff appearances, the offense has laid an egg in the biggest game of each appearance. Out of our last 7 playoff games, we've had 4 bad performances (both SB's, 2010 Jets, 2009 Ravens), 2 'meh' performances (SD 2007, Balt 2011), and 1 game that was shootout worthy (Broncos 2011). So I don't know where you guys get off assuming any playoff game against ANY team not named Denver would be a shootout.

Nobody's trying to overrate Houston here or be a 'prissy' as some put it, but rather trying to inject some reality into these predictions and claims. Of course we'd all like to believe the Patriots will suddenly become reliable in the clutch and/or on defense, but there's simply no proof in recent years of this. The potential is definitely there that I will not try to argue, but the potential has been there in 2007, 2010, and arguuably 2011 though the secondary we had would have made it very difficult.

They've had a hiccup against Green Bay but its very hard to find a noticeable weak spot on Houston's roster.

If Houston remains healthy,they might be the strongest AFC team from offense to defense since the 2004 Patriots who were loaded on both sides.

The road to the Super Bowl will probably go through Houston....despite Kubiak who I believe deserves some success with being with this team for six long years,only year after year to find themselves buried under the Colts regime until last year when their patience paid off.

I really respect the organization and if the Pats don't get it done,Houston is deserving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes