PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SKIP BAYLESS GETTIN BRADY's BACK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but who wins in a fight between a grilled cheese and a taco?

Yeah but who wins in a fight between a grilled cheese and a taco?

Two weeks off and the impending 6-month layoff without football will do thsi to people. You never had fun arguing anything like this? Hell, I spent hours discussing who would win in a fight: 100 unarmed men or a 1,000 pound black bear. It's never going to happen, and it's a ridiculous discussion, but it's fun none the less.

Re: WOODY PAGE GETTIN BRADY's BACK!

No, he can't. Even then, the only NFL QBs touching that time are Vick (when he was playing) and Young. Welker ran a 4.5 and change going into the NFL.

No, he wouldn't catch me, and this is why you're being thick. So a golfer, like Tiger, who's in great shape and only getting better with age isn't an athlete, but a 340lb. behemoth that needs oxygen from the sideline after trying to run with a recovered fumble is? They both do "different things, there's no reason for someone like you to decide what's superior.

Brady himself doesn't have any superior physical gifts, he excels at his job mostly through preparation, leading the secondary off throws, and exceptional decision making. Tiger, playing golf, is the same way.

Vick was a 4.3 guy. 4.5 is considered slow for an NFL WR. Garrard was a 4.7 guy and Young was a 4.5.

"Brady himself doesn't have any superior physical gifts"=you are an idiot. 4 Super Bowls, best QB in the history of the game, NFL record TD's, leader of the best offense of all time...

"doesn't have any superior physical gifts"?:confused:

No, he can't.

BTW, Vince has run the 40 in sub 5.0

Just how fast do you think you are? Do you know what a 4.5 looks like? I bet a lot of the guys that you know and are fast are no faster than the 4.0 range.

Even 5.0 at 325-340 lbs is extremely fast.

This is the same guy who said he thought Jay Cutler was more clutch than Brady earlier this year. I'm pretty sure his opinion changes on the hour.

The dude's in great shape.

Is a lineman who can't run 50 yards technically an "athlete?" Why bother messing with semantics?

Yes, a lineman is an athlete, as his job involves endurance, strength, flexibility, and quickness. I personally place golfers in the same category with bowlers, etc. -- recreational sportsmen.

Vick was a 4.3 guy. 4.5 is considered slow for an NFL WR. Garrard was a 4.7 guy and Young was a 4.5.

"Brady himself doesn't have any superior physical gifts"=you are an idiot. 4 Super Bowls, best QB in the history of the game, NFL record TD's, leader of the best offense of all time...

"doesn't have any superior physical gifts"?:confused:

I fully realize you're getting far too heated over something so trivial, but dude, your arguments are ridiculous.

We aren't talking about receivers, we're talking about your claim that Wilfork "could chase down most QBs in the NFL that are in the 4.5 range." I was correct saying Vick and Young are the only two QBs to be at a 4.5 or better. You were incorrect saying Vince could chase these guys down.

Vince is big and slow, yet you consider him an athlete. He MIGHT sniff a 5.0, but I seriously doubt it...and it's only going to get uglier the further he tries to go. Do you realize just how large the gap a half-second is in 40 yards? A half second in a 100-yard dash is a LOT, in the 40 it's near an eternity. I was a competitive sprinter, I know what I'm talking about here. Randy freaking Moss runs a 4.3 and he's a world-class athlete...you think Wilfork would even be within eyesight of him in a race? Please.

Brady has no extraordinary PHYSICAL gifts, yet you consider him an athlete. He's not exceptionally strong or fast, and he doesn't have the strongest arm. Nobody considered him having any of the right tools when he came out of college. This is the point...you consider him an exceptional athlete because of his head, but you won't grant Tiger the same.

Tiger is, by far, the most dominant player in the history of his sport (and it isn't really close,) and he stays in exceptional shape, but he's not an athlete. Right.

So you know what? Whatever, dude. Think what you want, but I'm done with this.

Last edited:

Yes, a lineman is an athlete, as his job involves endurance, strength, flexibility, and quickness. I personally place golfers in the same category with bowlers, etc. -- recreational sportsmen.

That's funny, because golf takes strength (compare a drive of my grandmothers to one that I can hit...then compare that to one of Tigers'), flexibility (ever see the torque that's generated on the backswing or followthrough? that's all flexibility), and quickness (hell, try to move ANYTHING as fast as Tiger swings a golf club...his swing has been measured at over 120 mph, which is INSANE when judging that against most golfers, even other professionals). You could argue that endurance is also in there, being that they're out on a golf course for 4 hours a day, 4 days in a row, but I'm not even going to go there. At the same time, baseball players don't need endurance, so do you consider them 'recreational sportsmen'?

Last edited:
Seems like a better title or this thread would be warranted, given some of the rumors about Skip.

for the record Some Golfers are athletes but none play a sport...that is all

for the record Some Golfers are athletes but none play a sport...that is all

Even though 'golf' is in the definition of sport? That seems a bit strange to me.

I fully realize you're getting far too heated over something so trivial, but dude, your arguments are ridiculous.

We aren't talking about receivers, we're talking about your claim that Wilfork "could chase down most QBs in the NFL that are in the 4.5 range." I was correct saying Vick and Young are the only two QBs to be at a 4.5 or better. You were incorrect saying Vince could chase these guys down.

Vince is big and slow, yet you consider him an athlete. He MIGHT sniff a 5.0, but I seriously doubt it...and it's only going to get uglier the further he tries to go. Do you realize just how large the gap a half-second is in 40 yards? A half second in a 100-yard dash is a LOT, in the 40 it's near an eternity. I was a competitive sprinter, I know what I'm talking about here. Randy freaking Moss runs a 4.3 and he's a world-class athlete...you think Wilfork would even be within eyesight of him in a race? Please.

Brady has no extraordinary PHYSICAL gifts, yet you consider him an athlete. He's not exceptionally strong or fast, and he doesn't have the strongest arm. Nobody considered him having any of the right tools when he came out of college. This is the point...you consider him an exceptional athlete because of his head, but you won't grant Tiger the same.

Tiger is, by far, the most dominant player in the history of his sport (and it isn't really close,) and he stays in exceptional shape, but he's not an athlete. Right.

So you know what? Whatever, dude. Think what you want, but I'm done with this.

You're done? You're wrong. So you WERE a sprinter? How long ago? Still think ya got it?

Brady has tons of physical gifts, or else he wouldn't be in the NFL. It's that simple.

Vince Wilfork is "big and slow" but Tiger Woods is in "exceptional shape"?? WTF?

I am done with you. You don't know the first thing about football, as illustrated by your previous statements. Maybe you're right...Tiger sure does kick all kinds of ass.

Go to a golf message board. You may know something about golf but you haven't a damn clue when it comes to football.

Brady has tons of physical gifts, or else he wouldn't be in the NFL. It's that simple.

What are they? What's his 40 time? How many times can he bench 225? What's his vertical like? Face it, he's a good athlete (I won't question that) but he's a great QB because of his head, his preparation, tons of practice, and his dedication. Tiger can bench over 300, but who cares, he's not an athlete according to you (and yes, that's true about his bench).

Fact of the matter: Vince is an NFL lineman (and a damn good one at that), he's huge, strong as hell and relatively fast (for his size he's blazing fast). Gostkowski is an NFL kicker, he has great agility, footwork, an extremely powerful lower body and nerves of steel. Brady is an NFL quarterback, he has a strong arm, great footwork, the mental capacity to devour a playbook and read defenses, nerves of steel and he thinks extremely quick on his feet. Moss is an NFL wide receiver, he has great foot speed, great vertical ability, amazing hand-eye coordination, and awesome balance.

Tiger Woods is a golfer, he has great flexibility, a powerful upper torso, amazing hand-eye coordination, nerves of steel, and an ability to process a good deal of information (wind speed, distance, lay of the ball, hazards in play, slope of the land) and make precise decisions.

I see no difference...he's a friggin athlete, and he's one of the best (if not the best) in the history of sports.

Tiger can bench over 300, but who cares, he's not an athlete according to you (and yes, that's true about his bench).

Whoopie. I can bench over 300, I'm 36 years old and am an awful athlete. Hell, I could name 8 guys I know that can bench over 300 lbs and none of them are athletes. What the hell does that matter?

Skip is a moron.

I really have no opinion on Brady vs. Tiger. But I am gonna go with Tiger on this one, because Skip has proven that he is incapable of intelligent thought.

What are they? What's his 40 time? How many times can he bench 225? What's his vertical like? Face it, he's a good athlete (I won't question that) but he's a great QB because of his head, his preparation, tons of practice, and his dedication.

Well, the other guy was saying he didn't have physical gifts...yet he plays in the most elite sports league in the world.

Tiger Woods is a golfer, he has great flexibility, a powerful upper torso, amazing hand-eye coordination, nerves of steel, and an ability to process a good deal of information (wind speed, distance, lay of the ball, hazards in play, slope of the land) and make precise decisions.

I see no difference...he's a friggin athlete, and he's one of the best (if not the best) in the history of sports.

No, he's a golfer.

Alright, well I'm done with this crap then...I said I wasn't going to get in an argument about the terms 'athlete' or 'sport' and this is why. You're pigheaded, narrowminded and extremely biased.

Fine, football is a great sport, perhaps the best sport on the planet. Good for football. That doesn't take anything away from other sports, and I refuse to believe that something that requires as much skill, preparation, physical ability, mental ability and competitive drive as golf isn't a sport (and I'm not talking about weekend warriors on the $20 courses; just like when I discuss football I'm not talking about me and my buddies playing flag football on the weekends). Believe what you will, but you're just plain wrong, and I'd guess 90% of people on earth (plus the actual DEFINITION of the word 'sport') would say you're wrong.

Alright, well I'm done with this crap then...I said I wasn't going to get in an argument about the terms 'athlete' or 'sport' and this is why. You're pigheaded, narrowminded and extremely biased.

Fine, football is a great sport, perhaps the best sport on the planet. Good for football. That doesn't take anything away from other sports, and I refuse to believe that something that requires as much skill, preparation, physical ability, mental ability and competitive drive as golf isn't a sport (and I'm not talking about weekend warriors on the $20 courses; just like when I discuss football I'm not talking about me and my buddies playing flag football on the weekends). Believe what you will, but you're just plain wrong, and I'd guess 90% of people on earth (plus the actual DEFINITION of the word 'sport') would say you're wrong.

Weird. It seems to be you and one other guy crowing about golf and a bunch of others chuckling when guys talk about how physical golf really is.

One name for ya: John Daly.

Last edited:

Pick an argument and stick with it. I'm not comparing golf to football; I'm stating that golf is more physically demanding than non-players think. I take exception to people making the argument that golf isn't physically demanding, but baseball is. Please.

The thing about golf is it's huge mental component. This, I believe, is what sets it apart from other competitive activities.

Yes, most other sports have an important component as well, but in most other sports, the physicality required is of much stronger import.

As a practical matter, golf is an excellent means of staying in relatively good shape, but it does not demand, and will not give you, ripped abs and buns of steel. The fact that players like John Daly (I love the guy!) can compete at the top of the sport with others more physically gifted is testament to that fact.

Yes, the people you see playing the game on the professional level on TV are almost without exception physical specimens. But they are people at the absolute pinnacle of their profession. They stay in marvelous shape, many spending several hours a day at the gym, but the sport does not extract payment from them in terms of physical depreciation.

Put another way, these guys can, and often do, play professionally into their 60s. A football or rugby player is quite fortunate to maintain himself in his sport into his 30s.

Tiger Woods, my favorite golfer, is one of a kind, and yes, he is redefining the game and bringing it to another level, but let's face reality here. He's not Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Jim Brown, or Mickey Mantle. While these stars may, and do, sing Tiger's praises, it's not the same.

Even Phil Michelson admits the truth when he says, "We just play golf for a living."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday