PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast XVI -- Big Vince Wilfork!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means that the poster thinks that we should be able to drafter a DT at 32 who will be as good as Wilfork was last year from the start and through the next five years.

This kind of analysis shows a remarkable misunderstanding of the value of Pick 32, how many fail, how many succeed, and how few are as good as Wilfork.

Obviously, there are a lot of success stories at Pick 32 (as there are for 6th rounders). EXPECTING to replace Wilfork 2014 production with a 2015 rookie is really poor analysis, at least IMO.

It is a spot where there is a huge gap between great and also rans, without a big middle class. Pats were crazy lucky to pick wilfork at 21, I saw predictions of a top five. I think the question was NT or no, since he played DT in college. Plus, he's not that tall if he didn't work out at the nose.

Cheap one-year rentals on veteran big fatty DTs are usually available after the glamor days of free agency, even as late as training camp cuts. Heck, we got Branch last year after the season started, if I recall. We aren't looking for Ndamukong Suh....

Big fatties? Maybe Ron Brace is available. and he's in his prime age wise.

I couldn't go more than 2 years with Wilfork if he drops his price. I think the importance of a DT was set by Miami. what a ridiculous contract.

I'd be happy to find a real player for much less than wilfork, but if we're going to Steve Martin, Rick Lyle it our defense is going to be a lot worse. chandler Jones will be doubled, we'll need to play a safety in the box and our linebackers will find out what it is to try tackling with no force in the middle holding the line for them.

I don't understand what you are driving at? Are you saying that the Pats made a drastic miscalculation and should have picked up VW option?

Since Williams and Sheldon will be gone, you don't think Brown, Phillips, Goldman or Davis can stop the run and apply some pressure every now and then?

Why are you predisposing the d-line going backwards in 2015?

In the last two seasons the Pats have picked up Siliga and Alan Branch. They can find someone that can play in this system. I'm pretty positive that at least one of the run-stopping DT ranked highter or a bit lower than VW will play for or $4m/yr.

You are coming across like you think the Pats made horrible decision and crying over it.

again.......your extreme lack of comprehension is what is making this so difficult.........the pats DID NOT pick up Wilfork's option, so that point has always been moot in this thread.....what's the title of the thread?

until it can prove otherwise, the DL WILL take a step backwards without Wilfork because it has proven uncapable of being effective against the run without him, and a rookie isn't going to fix that because rookies don't fix that......nature of the beast.

The pats had no choice with that cap number.....the question is on re-signing him.........something you obviously have great difficulty grasping

Vince stated today that "there is plenty of gas left in the tank," and that "hell yea(h)" he will still be playing into the future.

It doesn't seem like he's even considering the possibility of retiring.
What did you expect him to say, that he was all played out? Look at the realities of the situation. He can either play for a year or two at a decent, face-saving salary for a team like Oakland or retire a Patriot in one piece with his faculties still in tact.

I think Vince is more than capable of finding himself another gig in the NFL - run stuffing DL do not suffer from some of the longevity issues that other positions do. His 40 time won't be an issue, concussions are very unlikely.

Remember how long Ted Washington played for?

I'd like to see him back at a reasonable rate, but just like McCourty- he will be offered more elsewhere.

I'm wondering when they next shoe will drop - the Mayo contract re-work or Amendola restructure.

again.......your extreme lack of comprehension is what is making this so difficult.........the pats DID NOT pick up Wilfork's option, so that point has always been moot in this thread.....what's the title of the thread?

until it can prove otherwise, the DL WILL take a step backwards without Wilfork because it has proven uncapable of being effective against the run without him, and a rookie isn't going to fix that because rookies don't fix that......nature of the beast.

The pats had no choice with that cap number.....the question is on re-signing him.........something you obviously have great difficulty grasping

Spare me. I've told you several times that I have no issue re-signing VW at the right price that the team can afford.

My perspective is that you don't want to acknowledge the 20+ DTs on the FA market that the team would consider bringing in. You don't want to acknowledge the 7+ DTs that are 1st or 2nd round grades that also can potentially represent an upgrade . You don't want to acknowledge that this team has time and time again filled/upgraded roster spots & positions that were occupied with veteran players with younger, cheaper players. Instead, you'd rather fall back on old' reliable 34 year old VW without exploring all the options. I really don't understand why you dismiss all options because they don't align with your narrow viewpoint.

If you want to live in fear that the the sky will fall without Vince go for it. I'll look for opportunities to upgrade cheaper with younger talent.

Clearly we can't communicate effectively and I don't appreciate you saying that I have comprehension issues.

only Suh, Fletcher Cox, and Dontari Poe played more defensive snaps at the position than Wilfork.

according to Pro Football Focus, Wilfork was the only DT on the Pats that graded out above average in stopping the run.

right now there is a massive gaping hole (over 50 defensive snaps per game) with nobody on the roster or in the draft who has even started to show they can do that. Bringing Wilfork back SHOULD be a priority

Spare me. I've told you several times that I have no issue re-signing VW at the right price that the team can afford.

My perspective is that you don't want to acknowledge the 20+ DTs on the FA market that the team would consider bringing in. You don't want to acknowledge the 7+ DTs that are 1st or 2nd round grades that also can potentially represent an upgrade . You don't want to acknowledge that this team has time and time again filled/upgraded roster spots & positions that were occupied with veteran players with younger, cheaper players. Instead, you'd rather fall back on old' reliable 34 year old VW without exploring all the options. I really don't understand why you dismiss all options because they don't align with your narrow viewpoint.

If you want to live in fear that the the sky will fall without Vince go for it. I'll look for opportunities to upgrade cheaper with younger talent.

Clearly we can't communicate effectively and I don't appreciate you saying that I have comprehension issues.

I know that facts are difficult for you but try these on for size:

FACT 1: only 3 NT/DT's played more snaps than Wilfork this year.......Suh, Cox, Poe
FACT 2: only one NT/DT made more defensive stops this year.....Dareus

So give me the 20+ DT's you're thinking about and/or the 7+ Rookie DT's that represent an upgrade......

how old was ted washington???????
how old was keith traylor??????

wilforks age is not the problem for the next year or 2

FACT 1: only 3 NT/DT's played more snaps than Wilfork this year.......Suh, Cox, Poe

So give me the 20+ DT's you're thinking about and/or the 7+ Rookie DT's that represent an upgrade......

I can throw out every name I think is reasonable and you'll dismiss it just because. You are being very smarmy.

Go read the links I posted. Develop some thoughts on your own. I'mnot going to sit here an educate you.

I bet when the Pats let Washington go to the Raiders you panicked then too. Keep in mind that they drafted a DT named Wilfork in 04 at #21.

,theSome Comments on the Comments

1. I think there is a concerted effort on the part of the Copycat NFL to move to a "Seattle" model DL where the 320-340lb run stuffing fatty is being replaced by the 280-300lb pass rushing athlete.

2. HOWEVER, the success of RB's like Lynch, Murray, Bell, and Gray (;) ) against that kind of undersized DL, the pendulum could be starting to swing back to some kind of equality between the passing and run game, and thus the continuing need to have run stuffers on your roster, even though they might not be 3 down players

3. FO's rated Vince very highly vs the run game (+14 whatever that means) , even though most of us (including myself) felt he sipped a bit this past year from an elite run stuffer to "merely" one that was good.

4. Either way, the 34 year Vince was not going to be worth the $8MM cap hit he was due to have, so the not taking his option was something that both sides had to be expecting.

5.Now the question moves on to his future. Clearly he has some value, but at what price. Darnelle Dockett's contract could give us a clue for a older DLman. He got $2MM guaranteed with $2MM in incentives. Granted Dockett is a DE and might have more value as a potential pass rusher, but at least its an established base line for and older top end DLman.

6. Now 2 questions remain. One is will Vince be patient enough to wait until May to make his decision on where he wants to go? He did indicate in his statement, that he is going to take his time before he makes his decision. But on the other hand, the best chance for him to maximize his money would be to strike early in the process.

If he waits, it will make it more likely comes back. By then the Pats will have a better idea of what their cap situation will be, and who they have in the daft.

However I'm not even sure if the Draft has anything to do with bringing back Vince even if we pick a DT/NT high. Historically the Pats first round pick like Vince and Ty Warren have taken some time before they became impact players. Even so, the longer Vince remains out there the better the chance he come back.

7. The second question is, if the Market actually becomes something like $2MM guaranteed and $2MM more in incentives would the Pats be willing to sign him to a deal that would create a $2-3MM cap hit for 2015, or have they truly moved on???

8. IMHO, Vince has been a stellar, HOF Patriot, both on and off the field. With the exception of 2014 and slightly in 2015, he was worth EVERY penny he made here, and now that I think about it, even in 2015, whatever value he lost in on field production, he made up for with his leadership and on field presence.

Like everyone else here, I wish him only the best, regardless of where he ends up.

Last edited:
I can throw out every name I think is reasonable and you'll dismiss it just because. You are being very smarmy.

Go read the links I posted. Develop some thoughts on your own. I'mnot going to sit here an educate you.

I bet when the Pats let Washington go to the Raiders you panicked then too. Keep in mind that they drafted a DT named Wilfork in 04 at #21.

gee.......do the pats have an all pro 25 year old richard seymour these days? how about a 23 year old ty warren or a 25 year old jarvis green? the pats line was loaded at the time.......it is not loaded now as they don't have a dT that could start for most teams.

wilfork had to be replaced by traylor 2 weeks into the season because he played like a rookie

as for washington, the team did not skip a beat when he was out.......can't say the same about the pats when wilfork went down

honestly........you need to get a clue, but I will give you an out......at least give me 5 options be it college or pros that represent an upgrade over wilfork, and I will forgive you for the supposed other 22+

Last edited:
theSome Comments on the Comments

1. I think there is a concerted effort on the part of the Copycat NFL to move to a "Seattle" model DL where the 320-340lb run stuffing fatty is being replaced by the 280-300lb pass rushing athlete.

2. HOWEVER, the success of RB's like Lynch, Murray, Bell, and Gray (;) ) against that kind of undersized DL, the pendulum could be starting to swing back to some kind of equality between the passing and run game, and thus the continuing need to have run stuffers on your roster, even though they might not be 3 down players

3. FO's rated Vince very highly vs the run game (+14 whatever that means) , even though most of us (including myself) felt he sipped a bit this past year from an elite run stuffer to "merely" one that was good.

4. Either way, the 34 year Vince was not going to be worth the $8MM cap hit he was due to have, so the not taking his option was something that both sides had to be expecting.

5.Now the question moves on to his future. Clearly he has some value, but at what price. Darnelle Dockett's contract could give us a clue for a older DLman. He got $2MM guaranteed with $2MM in incentives. Granted Dockett is a DE and might have more value as a potential pass rusher, but at least its an established base line for and older top end DLman.

6. Now 2 questions remain. One is will Vince be patient enough to wait until May to make his decision on where he wants to go? He did indicate in his statement, that he is going to be patient before he makes his decision. If he is, it will make it more likely comes back. By then the Pats will have a better idea of what their cap situation will be, and who they have in the daft.

However I'm not even sure if the Draft has anything to do with bringing back Vince even if we pick a DT/NT high. Even the Pats first round pick like Vince and Ty Warren have taken some time before they became impact players. Even so, the longer Vince remains out there the better the chance he come back.

7. The second question is if the Market actually becomes something like $2MM guaranteed and $2MM more in incentives would the Pats be willing to sign him to a deal that would create a $2-3MM cap hit for 2015, or have they truly moved on???

8. IMHO, Vince has been a stellar, HOF Patriot, both on and off the field. With the exception of 2014 and slightly in 2015, he was worth EVERY penny he made here, and now that I think about it, even in 2015, whatever value he lost in on field production, he made up for with his leadership and on field presence.

Like everyone else here, I wish him only the best, regardless of where he ends up.
I'm wondering if prospects for Vince's return at a lower number already were discussed and dismissed. His farewell letter to fans seems pretty final.

I'm wondering if prospects for Vince's return at a lower number already were discussed and dismissed. His farewell letter to fans seems pretty final.
Yes it did, IF you wanted to take in that context, Tune. However the market can have a very conciliatory effect on people sometimes. We've had a LOT of players who have had much, much harsher comments made about management before they came back as happy campers. In comparison, Vince's remarks couldn't have been more complimentary and gracious.

Certainly his statement COULD be inferred as being a final goodbye, it certainly wasn't definitive.

gee.......do the pats have an all pro 25 year old richard seymour these days? how about a 23 year old ty warren or a 25 year old jarvis green? the pats line was loaded at the time.......it is not loaded now as they don't have a dT that could start for most teams.

wilfork had to be replaced by traylor 2 weeks into the season because he played like a rookie

as for washington, the team did not skip a beat when he was out.......can't say the same about the pats when wilfork went down

honestly........you need to get a clue, but I will give you an out......at least give me 5 options be it college or pros that represent an upgrade over wilfork, and I will forgive you for the supposed other 22+

I don't need an out b/c you refuse to acknowledge that times are changing.

Keep in mind, back in 03 & 04 they played a much different defense back which was more 3/4 and not 75% sub. Teams pass more. Defenses need to pressure the pocket quicker now. If you notice that the Pats haven't made drafting DT a priority the last few years. The sub is the new base. Teams that have very good run defenses don't always need a 350lb player in the middle anymore.

Vince played a lot of snaps because hes a good player vs the run and can still pressure the pocket every now and then. It all comes down to money and projected performance. 2 more years of good VW? You are using players from 10years ago as examples? Good heavens.

I'm sure you saw Cedric Thornton just received a 2nd round tender. Hes 26 and will get ~$2.5m. I view him as a potential replacement.

IMO, fact 1 is meaningless . If so Ninkovich would be the best DE in the league.
I think the excessive number of snap has much correlation with achieving the incentives themselves. Wilfork is still a great player but is not worth 8m anymore IMO . If the draft is not an upgrade, so be it. You can not have everything in a league with salary cap . Im happy that we keep Dmac with his money. And i will be happy to keep Collins with Mayo s money.
Unfortunately it is impossible to keep all players , especially those who played all life in the organization. But I always writhe to the best of my team . If Wilfork want to return with annual 2 or 3 million I'm sure no one will oppose .

McCourty on the Pats getting Wilfork back: "They will. I think they will."

IMO, fact 1 is meaningless . If so Ninkovich would be the best DE in the league.
I think the excessive number of snap has much correlation with achieving the incentives themselves. Wilfork is still a great player but is not worth 8m anymore IMO . If the draft is not an upgrade, so be it. You can not have everything in a league with salary cap . Im happy that we keep Dmac with his money. And i will be happy to keep Collins with Mayo s money.
Unfortunately it is impossible to keep all players , especially those who played all life in the organization. But I always writhe to the best of my team . If Wilfork want to return with annual 2 or 3 million I'm sure no one will oppose .

not meaningless because somebody else is going to have to play those snaps........currently, no such player exists on the pats roster. couple that with the need for a player who can support the run as well as wilfork.

which means at this point, the pats have near zero capacity to stop the run.......and no prospect for changing that

I don't need an out b/c you refuse to acknowledge that times are changing.

Keep in mind, back in 03 & 04 they played a much different defense back which was more 3/4 and not 75% sub. Teams pass more. Defenses need to pressure the pocket quicker now. If you notice that the Pats haven't made drafting DT a priority the last few years. The sub is the new base. Teams that have very good run defenses don't always need a 350lb player in the middle anymore.

Vince played a lot of snaps because hes a good player vs the run and can still pressure the pocket every now and then. It all comes down to money and projected performance. 2 more years of good VW? You are using players from 10years ago as examples? Good heavens.

I'm sure you saw Cedric Thornton just received a 2nd round tender. Hes 26 and will get ~$2.5m. I view him as a potential replacement.

in other words, you don't have an answer........got it

BTW, Thornton is more like Chris Jones than VW

from an age standpoint, yes....wilfork still has a couple of years left in him.......justin smith just hanging 'em up at 35, kevin williams is 35 and still in it and given the position, those players are perfect examples as is.....I know......the notion of an effective wilfork until age 35 is about as stupid as an effective brady until he's 40

keep trying though

McCourty on the Pats getting Wilfork back: "They will. I think they will."

except that you have some geniuses here saying it doesn't need to happen and won't happen

Technically Vince is not a free agent until the Pats do not pay him his bonus which is due tomorrow (3/10). So even if he wanted to sign a deal with the Pats for lower money last week, he couldn't have. They could have restructured his current deal, but they couldn't just tear it up and write a new contract until Free Agency officially begins on March 10.

I'm sure the Pats told Vince, we are not going to pick up your option and they gave him a price that they would take him back for, and now Vince will start shopping that price around to other clubs. I wouldn't rule out Vince coming back, unless of course, someone seriously over pays for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST