PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast XLV: Pats targeting WR Stevie Johnson? [3/17 update: signs w/ Chargers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, yes they do. Do you remember Reche Caldwell? In 2006, when he was surrounded by players that, like him, didn't belong in the NFL, he was targeted 102 times for 61 receptions and 760 yards. A year later he was out of the league. Besides 2006, his career highs were 43 targets and 28 catches, and 352 yards. He was not a better receiver in 2006, he was just surrounded by comparably even lesser talents. So it was with Stevie Johnson in Buffalo.

No, they can not get open or drop the ball.

Was Tom Brady throwing to Johnson in Buffalo, or was it somebody just as good?

Nobody has to catch the ball. Nobody has to have 1,000 yards receiving seasons with crappy QBs. If all we needed was a body, why would anyone ever draft or sign WRs. Why would they try them out in camp?

Maybe Ochocinco didn't know that all he had to do was put up his hands, because the ball was in the air, he was somebody, and somebody has to catch the balls.

That doesn't explain how he pretty much owns Revis and those games were when Revis was at his absolute prime.

I guess somebody has to beat Revis and he just happened to be that person.

That doesn't explain how he pretty much owns Revis and those games were when Revis was at his absolute prime.

No doubt, he has had success against Revis. I think dominance is a stretch--23 catches on 48 targets for 317 yards in 5 games against the Jets. Of course not all of that is man to man against Revis, but I acknowledge that he does better than most. Still, I think there are some question marks and I don't expect him to receive a lot of guaranteed cash here or anywhere else.

Last edited:
No, they can not get open or drop the ball.

Was Tom Brady throwing to Johnson in Buffalo, or was it somebody just as good?

Nobody has to catch the ball. Nobody has to have 1,000 yards receiving seasons with crappy QBs. If all we needed was a body, why would anyone ever draft or sign WRs. Why would they try them out in camp?

Maybe Ochocinco didn't know that all he had to do was put up his hands, because the ball was in the air, he was somebody, and somebody has to catch the balls.

This is silly. But I'll play along. Fitzy is not as good as Brady but was good enough during that period to average 3500 yards and sign a $59M contract extension. He averaged over 500 throws per year. Again, on a team full of crappy receivers, Stevie got a huge number of targets. His catch percentage and yards per target were not great (much worse than they were in SFO), but by virtue of being the best receiver on a team that threw the ball alot (partly, because they were behind, because they weren't very good), he has good "accumulation" numbers.

Yes, someone has to catch the ball. Teams play zone, they play prevent defense, every team completes passes against these defenses--it's really not that difficult. If one receiver is better than the others on his team, he will have a disproportionate amount of targets, catches and yards. Do you really dispute this?

Finally, doesn't Ocho prove my point, and not yours??? Confusing that you would mention him. When he was the alpha dog on a bad team, he put up huge numbers. When he went to the patriots and was an afterthought in the Welker-Gronk-AHern offense, he put up no numbers.

Why do we need someone who can beat Revis?
We just won a SB where our QB came back down 10 in the 4th QTR against Sherman who's at least as good. What was the key? Throw to the OTHER guys.

Johnson will sign elsewhere on Monday.

Why do we need someone who can beat Revis?
We just won a SB where our QB came back down 10 in the 4th QTR against Sherman who's at least as good. What was the key? Throw to the OTHER guys.

Yeah, that seems to be a forgotten fact, as well as our overall record against the Jets since Revis signed there.

Not a fact at all..just blurting it out
Inductive reasoning. Johnson lives in California. Paid a visit to Chargers. Patriots also may be interested
but no visit. Says he will make a decision on Monday.

Stevie (or Lafell) would be the best WR3 we've had in awhile. Let's get it done.

Meanwhile, in Green Bean Trollville:

@RapSheet: One more team to watch for Stevie Johnson: The #Jets. He’s been productive for Chan Gailey before, plus with Ryan Fitzpatrick there…

Stevie (or Lafell) would be the best WR3 we've had in awhile. Let's get it done.

Meanwhile, in Green Bean Trollville:

@RapSheet: One more team to watch for Stevie Johnson: The #Jets. He’s been productive for Chan Gailey before, plus with Ryan Fitzpatrick there…
Can't let Stevie leave without a contract, **** the Jets. though they will probably pay him way more than we can pay.

Johnson will sign elsewhere on Monday.

Rumor is the Jets are interested...

Hope Stevie dummies up and signs with the Patriots (assuming he gets a contract offer)..

Rumor is the Jets are interested...

Hope Stevie dummies up and signs with the Patriots (assuming he gets a contract offer)..

Is that rumor based on Rapoport's tweet? Because if it is I would hardly say that is confirmation that the jests are interested.

For real guys, just watch some Stevie Johnson highlight film from his college & Bills days. Good lord, Brady could make him into a super star. I really want him signed.

Is that rumor based on Rapoport's tweet? Because if it is I would hardly say that is confirmation that the jests are interested.

Agreed, he was simply linking former connected parties together as a solid fit, not stating there was interest from either side.

http://fansided.com/2015/03/14/report-jets-team-watch-stevie-johnson/

"According to Ian Rapoport, despite interest from the Patriots there is a chance that the New York Jets could get in on Johnson.."

One more team to watch for Stevie Johnson: The #Jets. He’s been productive for Chan Gailey before, plus with Ryan Fitzpatrick there… Johnson had his most productive seasons in Buffalo while Chan Gailey was the head coach of the team. Gailey is now the offensive coordinator under new Jets head coach Todd Bowles. Another piece that is familiar to Johnson in New York is quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick was the quarterback of the Bills when Johnson had his breakout years with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back