PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Sign the Beast LXIX: La'el Collins - do the Pats have a shot if he is cleared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does it refute the notion? He had dinner with Ryan. We have no idea if he even wants to play for the Bills or use Ryan to show other teams that the Bills have no fears of his innocence.

Once Collins is cleared (assuming he is cleared), he will have dozens of teams chasing after him. He isn't likely to sign with anyone until he is cleared and he has his choice of teams. Right now it is about trying to generate interest in himself.

All some of us are doing, is rightfully pointing out how some players have stated that they recognize and appreciate these gestures of respect.

Who knows, maybe Collins will feel disrespected that Ryan wants him to change positions.. but dozens of players have responded to the question given to them over the years of why they signed or didn't sign with a particular club. For many, the answer they gave boiled down to simple little things, like having the head coach receive them in person.. or not receive them.

Yes, sometimes gestures of respect can mean a lot and of course, with other players, it might not even be on the radar.

Last edited:
Don't lose the plot here. We are talking about a player who involved in an active murder investigation, who has had over a week to clear himself and has not done so. With the latest statements today from the police and his own lawyer being anything but definitive and encouraging.

If he had anything pointing to his innocence, his lawyer would be crowing about it. I mean, did this guy break up with ex-girlfriend months ago? Or Friday afternoon?

Don't lose the plot here. We are talking about a player who involved in an active murder investigation, who has had over a week to clear himself and has not done so. With the latest statements today from the police and his own lawyer being anything but definitive and encouraging.

If he had anything pointing to his innocence, his lawyer would be crowing about it. I mean, did this guy break up with ex-girlfriend months ago? Or Friday afternoon?

Unfortunately for the team we all root for, I doubt that they can even think about getting involved with this situation, but that's just my opinion.

For most of the other 31 teams, I think they can easily take a flier on signing an UDFA and have no concern for consequence if it doesn't work out.

If the league even approved a contract (a BIG if), this guy would immediately go the "commissioner's exempt" list.

Again.... if he could clear this mess up, he would have done so by now.

His lawyer has been in constant contact with the police since the situation started and before it became news. He had already provided information to the police with Collin's whereabouts during the murder as well as the information of those that could confirm this. His agents have also been in constant contact with teams trying to give them as much information as possible.

Just because he hasn't come out publicly and screamed his innocence, who cares? Why does he need to let the media or public know anything? I'm sure the police love high profile people talking to the media about active murder investigations. The only people that need to know anything are the police and the teams, and by every indication he has been open and forthcoming with both.

He left Chicago to fly to Baton Rouge to try and get his name cleared as soon as possible before the draft. The reason he had to wait until Monday is they basically told him there are more important people they have to interview first and wouldn't make an exception for him. I haven't seen any indication that Collins has made any attempt to delay speaking with police.

Does any of this mean he is completely innocent? No, but I don't know what more he could do in this situation. An active murder investigation is far more important than the NFL draft and the police have treated it as such. I also believe Collins and the victim last spoke in about September, so the breakup wasn't a recent thing.

He left Chicago to fly to Baton Rouge to try and get his name cleared as soon as possible before the draft. The reason he had to wait until Monday is they basically told him there are more important people they have to interview first and wouldn't make an exception for him. I haven't seen any indication that Collins has made any attempt to delay speaking with police.

You are being pretty generous with your descriptions. Baton Rouge police contacted Collins last Saturday, the day after the murders.

He met with police for the first time this morning, 9 days after he was initially contacted. That does not strike me as a guy who was in an all-fire hurry to meet with police and provide his iron-clad alibi.

http://theadvocate.com/news/12279868-125/ex-lsu-star-lael-collins-meets
http://theadvocate.com/news/12259576-125/child-of-slain-pregnant-woman

Police said Thursday that detectives originally reached out to Collins’ family and his agent Saturday in an effort to speak with him. It wasn’t until Thursday that Collins, through a representative, agreed to speak with them after the draft, police said, and detectives have yet to hear from Collins himself.

http://theadvocate.com/news/12259576-125/child-of-slain-pregnant-woman

Boren, Collins’ attorney, said a private investigative company recently was hired to determine Collins’ whereabouts on Friday — when Mills was shot — and Boren said he believes the resulting alibi will rule out Collins as a possible suspect in Mills’ death. Boren declined to comment about the nature of the relationship between Collins and Mills.

Why not say he broke up with the woman months ago (if he did). Why not just ask him where he was on Friday instead of hiring a private investigator? This all seems decidedly unforthcoming for an innocent guy who just lost millions by not clearing his name in a more expeditious manner.

Collins and his lawyer leaving the State Police interview this morning:

lael-collins-policepng-167732d0df8904e6.png

Last edited:
From the CBA: A Rookie Contract may also contain non-compensation terms relating to:...( (13) waiver of a Club’s rights regarding the designations of, or the Required Tender amounts for, Franchise or Transition Players.

Since the CBA does not mention Required Tender amounts for Restricted Free agents I take that to mean that a clause prohibiting the team from placing a RFA tender on an UDFA is not permissible.

Collins should want to play as much as possible in 2015 irregardless of position to maximize his Performance-Based Pay payout. In 2016/2017 that is when he should play at the left tackle position to maximize value for any extensions and/or his 2018 RFA tender

If there were ever a time for a supplemental draft this is it. There's no precedent setting, no one will set up a scenario like this to get into the supplemental draft. I get that he was draft eligible but this is such a crazy situation the supplemental draft should be the obvious solution.

You said that "there's no way Collins is going to go to a team to play a position that gets paid far less." You also stated that if Belichick offered him a job at guard, Collins would be "guaranteed" to turn it down.

How do you know that as fact? You don't. You're projecting an awful lot of things right now.

The guy lost millions of dollars. He is going to do what will give him the best shot to make back that money over the life of his career. That would be going to a team and becoming a tackle, hopefully left tackle.

Is there a chance that he might go to a team who is offering to make him a guard and he hopes he can be an even better guard than tackle and hopefully make up the money that way? Sure, there is a chance. It is highly unlikely though. Guards just make significantly less than tackles. And he should have his pick of about two dozen teams if and when he is cleared of this murder.

If he did murder her, he should sign with the Jets because Goody will get him out of trouble and cleared for the first preseason game.

#PatriotsNation #1 ‏@PatriotsExtra 6m6 minutes ago

La'el Collins has a meeting with the #Dolphins

http://www.tmz.com/2015/05/05/lael-collins-alibi-in-double-murder-case/

TMZ reports his alibi. He and friends drove 80 miles over to New Orleans on Friday night so they would be there in plenty of time for a Pelicans/Warriors basketball game on Saturday night. Thinks that cellphone GPS locations might confirm that.

We're told Collins also claims he has texts and emails proving the group had planned the trip several days before the killing ... and he believes GPS records on his cell phone will back up his story. ...

Our sources say La'el told cops he hadn't spoken with Brittney for several months -- when she first suggested that he could be the father of her child.

This is similar to the Rae Carruth situation so any hope for Collins to get his name cleared quickly is a longshot as they are probably not looking at him as the one who murdered her but more as someone involved in a conspiracy to murder her, in which case clearance will be long time coming. They will basically have to find who committed the crime and eliminate Collins from any kind of connection to the person or persons involved with the actual crime, and that won't be easy to do. I feel bad for him if this is sheer coincidence but the simple fact that he has an obvious motive due to possible paternity and a big payday coming will keep him connected to the matter until it's resolved, and I doubt that will be any time soon. The Patriots can't have any involvement with him, one former player spending life in prison is more than enough.

This is similar to the Rae Carruth situation so any hope for Collins to get his name cleared quickly is a longshot as they are probably not looking at him as the one who murdered her but more as someone involved in a conspiracy to murder her, in which case clearance will be long time coming. They will basically have to find who committed the crime and eliminate Collins from any kind of connection to the person or persons involved with the actual crime, and that won't be easy to do. I feel bad for him if this is sheer coincidence but the simple fact that he has an obvious motive due to possible paternity and a big payday coming will keep him connected to the matter until it's resolved, and I doubt that will be any time soon. The Patriots can't have any involvement with him, one former player spending life in prison is more than enough.

That's what I'm thinking too. I wish I didn't see the dark side of this situation or even suspect Collins of doing something so awful but money makes people do terrible things sometimes. I hope hes cleared of this and can resume his life. Based on what I have read, seems like a good kid.

No chance for the Pats to sign him, any team that signs him smells of desperation, we do not need to do this..

The Rae Carruth comparison is apropos..

Very sad situation all the way around.

I'd say Collin's gets signed. I'd rather it not be Miami or Buffalo.

Tampa with Jameis works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back