PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shula at it again with the "Asterisk" Argument

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Shula at it again. Tells Florida writer he's rooting for Giants

....and YOU still disingenuously avoid that Shula repetively brings up the ASTERISK argument to columnists 3 months on from his "original" interview with Gary Meyers. Followed by passive-aggressively saying "But, it's not my place to be the one to bring it up".

Things that make you go "hmmmmm".

I'm not avoiding anything. I have no problem with Shula bringing up the asterisk. I believe he's wrong. I believe it's a stupid thing to bring up, particularly with the situation his going to the Dolphins developed into. I also know that he is by no means the only person doing it, and it doesn't make him senile, evil, etc. just for doing so.

You may recall that I was one of the most ardent defenders of Belichick when the spygate nonsense played out. I considered it nothing more than a minor rules violation, and subsequent facts have reinforced the opinion. I called out Goodell for being ridiculous with his penalty and was called a homer for doing so.

Well, now I'm going to defend people who happen to think that getting punished brings the season into question. I don't agree with them, but most people were in favor of things like preventing players from getting awards during the same season in which they were busted for steroids. Well, it makes everyone hypocritical to not at least acknowledge some validity to the point Shula, and others, make in light of that.

If people want to look for blame, look at the right person. Take a good, long, look at the new NFL commissioner.

Last edited:
Shula says. "Believe me, I'll be the first to congratulate the Patriots if they run the table and finish with a perfect record because I know how hard it is to do. But that doesn't mean I want it to happen."

If he really wanted to congratulate the Patriots, he would've done so already after the regular season ended; then he wouldve done it again after the superbowl.

The fact that he hasn't, means he's not happy the Patriots are on the verge of doing it; and which means if he does so, it'll only be because he has to.

So I hope, that if he does call BB, better yet if he's at the stadium on the field after the game, that BB ignores him or says 'thanks, bye'

I'm not avoiding anything. I have no problem with Shula bringing up the asterisk. I believe he's wrong. I believe it's a stupid thing to bring up, particularly with the situation his going to the Dolphins developed into. I also know that he is by no means the only person doing it, and it doesn't make him senile, evil, etc. just for doing so.

You may recall that I was one of the most ardent defenders of Belichick when the spygate nonsense played out. I considered it nothing more than a minor rules violation, and subsequent facts have reinforced the opinion. I called out Goodell for being ridiculous with his penalty and was called a homer for doing so.

Well, now I'm going to defend people who happen to think that getting punished brings the season into question. I don't agree with them, but most people were in favor of things like preventing players from getting awards during the same season in which they were busted for steroids. Well, it makes everyone hypocritical to not at least acknowledge some validity to the point Shula, and others, make in light of that.

If people want to look for blame, look at the right person. Take a good, long, look at the new NFL commissioner.

Good for you. You are one of the smartest posters here but part of me thinks you just like to swim against the current.

Not that there is anything wrong with that....

Am I missing something? When did Shula bring up the asterisk thing besides the original time? this article does not cite the time of the statement, just simply it was made a few weeks ago.

The article was printed today, and it says he made these comments on Thursday sooooo...

When asked about those remarks Thursday, Shula toned it down some, but he didn't exactly apologize.

"I didn't say anything that wasn't true back then, but I think I was the wrong guy to say it," Shula said. "When I said it, it was perceived as being self-serving. Maybe somebody else should have said it. Hey, I wasn't the one who fined Belichick $500,000 and took away a first-round draft pick. The NFL did that. Now ask yourself: Why did they do it?"

Because the Patriots were caught cheating to try to gain an unfair advantage, that's why. And you'll have to excuse Shula because he's kind of touchy about the Patriots cheating. If you'll recall, Shula was coaching the Dolphins 25 years ago when former Patriots coach Ron Meyer infamously instructed a prison work-release convict on a snow plow to illegally cut a swath in the ice so the Patriots could kick a game-winning field goal.

"One of the most unfair acts to ever determine a game in the history of the NFL," Shula says now.

I don't have any problems with the quotes from Shula in this article. He can say whatever he wants.

Am I missing something? When did Shula bring up the asterisk thing besides the original time? this article does not cite the time of the statement, just simply it was made a few weeks ago.

Oh, dear.

"I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record."

When asked about those remarks Thursday, Shula toned it down some, but he didn't exactly apologize.

"I didn't say anything that wasn't true back then, but I think I was the wrong guy to say it," Shula said. "When I said it, it was perceived as being self-serving. Maybe somebody else should have said it. Hey, I wasn't the one who fined Belichick $500,000 and took away a first-round draft pick. The NFL did that. Now ask yourself: Why did they do it?"

Can you answer me this:

Why would he, then, insist on repeating that he will be the FIRST PERSON to call them to congratulate them????????????????/

'Hey, you cheated, I think you should have an asterisk, but I want to be the first person to call you with congratulations on going 19-0'. It's analogous (not on the same level of course) as John Wilkes Booth sending Mrs. Lincoln a condolence card.

Can you help me with that type of disingenuous thinking, please?

I actually have more respect for Mercury Morris (deluded as he is). He's not being a phoney two-faced passive-aggressive about it.

It's pretty obvious that the people giving Shula a pass didn;t even bother to read the article.

The title of this thread - now changed - says we should be up in arms because Shula's rooting for the Giants. That's stupid - I'd be surprised if he weren't.

The article references his asterisk comments from earlier this - and he was asked about them again but tried to walk a fine line as he clearly doesn't want to admit his ignorance when he made them. It's a stretch to say "he's back at it" with the asterisk comments. He was interviewed and was asked about it and tried to cover his ass.

It's understood by anyone who knows the facts that nothing the Patriots did in the Jets game affected that game or the season. Anyone who suggests an asterisk is ignorant - and Shula was definitely ignorant in making his comments ... he just doesn't want to admit it.

Can you answer me this:

Why would he, then, insist on repeating that he will be the FIRST PERSON to call them to congratulate them????????????????/

'Hey, you cheated, I think you should have an asterisk, but I want to be the first person to call you with congratulations on going 19-0'. It's analogous (not on the same level of course) as John Wilkes Booth sending Mrs. Lincoln a condolence card.

Can you help me with that type of disingenuous thinking, please?

I actually have more respect for Mercury Morris (deluded as he is). He's not being a phoney two-faced passive-aggressive about it.

It's really not that complicated, because it's 2 separate issues. He realizes that this is an historically great team that could go 19-0. They deserve congratulations for that. Goodell noted that no competitive edge was gotten in the Jets game, after all.

On the other hand, the team was busted for spygate. His point would be that they deserve some form of censure for that. I disagree with him, but I can understand the point given the idiotic fine imposed by Goodell and the wording of the press release that went along with it.

Again, the person to blame for this is Goodell, not Shula or anyone else. Goodell cracked down on spygate, Pacman and Cheerleaders, but gave a pass to whomever gave Glazer the spygate tape, at least publicly, and said that it was perfectly fine for the Jets to film the Patriots game even though the Patriots said it was done without permission. Call Goodell out, not the '72 Dolphins.

Last edited:

The title of this thread - now changed - says we should be up in arms because Shula's rooting for the Giants. That's stupid - I'd be surprised if he weren't.

The article references his asterisk comments from earlier this - and he was asked about them again but tried to walk a fine line as he clearly doesn't want to admit his ignorance when he made them. It's a stretch to say "he's back at it" with the asterisk comments. He was interviewed and was asked about it and tried to cover his ass.

It's understood by anyone who knows the facts that nothing the Patriots did in the Jets game affected that game or the season. Anyone who suggests an asterisk is ignorant - and Shula was definitely ignorant in making his comments ... he just doesn't want to admit it.

"Ignorant"??? How can he be "ignorant"? This is a man who coached in the NFL in 4 decades. A man who was on the NFL Rules Committee for over 20 years!

How in the world can you pass that off as "ignorance"? Few people on earth have better knowledge of the NFL than Shula. He is the LAST person whom I would call "ignorant" on this subject. "Disingenuous", yes, but not "ignorant".

Sorry, Joe, that doesn't fly. You're giving him a pass. He is willfully and purposely throwing mud by still commenting on the asterisk, the fine, the 1st round penalty. "Ignorance" is not his excuse here.

It's really not that complicated, because it's 2 separate issues. He realizes that this is an historically great team that could go 19-0. They deserve congratulations for that.

On the other hand, the team was busted for spygate. His point would be that they deserve some form of censure for that. I disagree with him, but I can understand the point given the idiotic fine imposed by Goodell and the wording of the press release that went along with it.

Again, the person to blame for this is Goodell, not Shula or anyone else. Goodell cracked down on spygate, Pacman and Cheerleaders, but gave a pass to whomever gave Glazer the spygate tape, at least publicly, and said that it was perfectly fine for the Jets to film the Patriots game even though the Patriots said it was done without permission. Call Goodell out, not the '72 Dolphins.

The problem, Deus, is that Shula and the '72 Dolphins are calling THEMSELVES out. Actually, they are calling every person in the media they can contact.

Please stop trying to paint them as innocent victims in this . Shula and Morris, in particular, are evidently working the phones harder than many Presidential candidates the past few weeks.

The Pats are doing the biggest favor possible for the 1972 Dolphins legacy. Before this year, they were crotchety old men who everyone else thought were not even top 3 among NFL teams -- certainly behind at least the 89 49ers and 85 Bears. Now, people are talking about the Pats supplanting the '72 beat-no-playoff-team-in-the-regular-season Fins, who then won 3 playoff games by a total of 14 points.

Pats 19-0 is far, far more impressive -- if they win, 9-0 against playoff teams, 7-0 against the other teams in the final 8, 4-0 against the other teams in the final 4.

The problem, Deus, is that Shula and the '72 Dolphins are calling THEMSELVES out. Actually, they are calling every person in the media they can contact.

Please stop trying to paint them as innocent victims in this . Shula and Morris, in particular, are evidently working the phones harder than many Presidential candidates the past few weeks.

This is what's known as 'nonsense'.

i agree....

Please. I'm sorry if no one is respecting your credibility since you earlier claimed that Shula wasn't commenting anew in the Bianchi story, when all one had to do was read it to see he most certainly did.

Originally Posted by sharons_pats

He will be the first to call to congratulate the Patriots. He will be desperately redialing and redialing. The Pats will be too busy receiving the world's accolades, so Shula will have to settle for faxing a statement to Bob Costas saying that he WAS the first to call, but the call just wouldn't go through.

We can then all give him the credit for making the first call to congratulate, but sorry Don, since the call wasn't answered, we'll have to put an ASTERISK next to that designation.

That's not how it works according to Jerry Rice. Is he still expecting a call from Moss?

Anyway I am gonna view all this like Track and Field records. Till the end of time the records will be broken again and again. I doubt that every time the 100m record is broken somebody is acting like a wild hair is up their butt and there is some offical ass kissing ceremony.

Yet we remember the ones that really matter. Like Jessie Owens, Bob Beemer, Edwin Moses.

OF COURSE you don't put a premium on the english language. According to you:

"Am I missing something? When did Shula bring up the asterisk thing besides the original time? this article does not cite the time of the statement, just simply it was made a few weeks ago."

Who has time to pay attention to the words, anyhow?

Come back when you get your facts straight.

Gore Vidal said it best: It is not enough to succeed; others must fail.

I love how people get in crapping matches over the use of a word. Joe obviously wasn't referring to Shula's IQ or accomplishments. Joe is just claiming that Shula's remarks were foolish. Take a chill pill.

Sharons Pats Misunderstanding Plain English #247.

Look up the word "Ignorance". It does NOT mean low IQ or low accomplishments. It means being out of the loop. Not having the information.

Shula has always been in the loop. Not many people on earth can have the inside info he has. So, my dear Sharons Pats, there is NO WAY Don Shula can be "ignorant" in this situation.

I recommend you invest in some English classes.....and while you're at it, READ the article before you make blanket statements like "When did Shula bring up the asterisk thing besides the original time? this article does not cite the time of the statement, just simply it was made a few weeks ago."

Wow, you managed to completely miss the point of my posts. That's impressive.

I pray my misguided mind can express to you the clarity of my opinion. Arrogance is not a virtue. Hope that makes an impression.

Wow, what the heck are you talking about? You cannot provide a single link to prove that Shula once again brought up the asterisk so you try to insult my integrity or credibility?

I stand beside my original comment. You have not provided any evidence nor does this article prove Shula brought up the asterisk again and again as you suggest.

If you need to be an arse then thats what you are, but no reason to try to insult someone's credibility when your statement isn't proven. Nobody cares how many posts you have.

Number of posts? Who brought THAT up, Sharons Pats? By bringing that up, YOU are the ony one who evidently cares about that.

Sigh.
_____________--
"I guess you got the same thing as putting an asterisk by Barry Bonds' home run record."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back