PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Shula at it again with the "Asterisk" Argument

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty funny that these "Patriot fans" get their panties in a bunch when someone wants to criticize Saint Shula. I have to wonder why they get so worked up defending this senile old fart. My guess is they comprise that group of NE residents who bagged out on the Patriots in the 70s, and jumped on the Dolphin bandwagon, reveling in the beatdowns and blowouts delivered against the Pats by Dandy Don. Later, when Dolphin wins dried up like Shula's wrinkled face, and the Patriots became good again, they conveniently switched allegiances back. No self-respecting die hard Patriot fan would ever utter a word defending Shula's rotten carcass after the smack he has been spewing all year. Bob Griese sounded off this week about he's going to "celebrate" if the Patriots lose. Kuechenberg, Morris et.al have been trashing this team all season. Don Shula is already qestioning the validity of this team even if it wins. Any "Patriot fan" who doesn't have a problem with this is a clueless idiot. Seriously, why don't you mosey over to Finheaven and root for the Dolphins. It'll be like old times.

BTW, I heard a Griese interview where he talked about getting to know Tom Brady when he was "the backup to my son Brian" at Michigan. It was factual, but another slap by a lead member of that pathetic crew. I wish the worst on all of them- in the SPORTING sense, of course.

Last edited:
many people try to hold on to something that can't be kept FOREVER.

About the *, why does Shula want to call BB to congratulate when Pats' record is 19-0 when Pats is a cheating team.

when will he and other people learn.?

I sure hope he and his players don't jump off the bridge when pats wins this SB.

Last edited:
Re: Shula at it again. Tells Florida writer he's rooting for Giants

The article was printed today, and it says he made these comments on Thursday sooooo...

When asked about those remarks Thursday, Shula toned it down some, but he didn't exactly apologize.

"I didn't say anything that wasn't true back then, but I think I was the wrong guy to say it," Shula said. "When I said it, it was perceived as being self-serving. Maybe somebody else should have said it. Hey, I wasn't the one who fined Belichick $500,000 and took away a first-round draft pick. The NFL did that. Now ask yourself: Why did they do it?"

Because the Patriots were caught cheating to try to gain an unfair advantage, that's why. And you'll have to excuse Shula because he's kind of touchy about the Patriots cheating. If you'll recall, Shula was coaching the Dolphins 25 years ago when former Patriots coach Ron Meyer infamously instructed a prison work-release convict on a snow plow to illegally cut a swath in the ice so the Patriots could kick a game-winning field goal.

"One of the most unfair acts to ever determine a game in the history of the NFL," Shula says now.

that's the irony. the dolphins were fined a first rd pick by stealing shula from baltimore and cheating the colts out of their coach.

Shula sounded like Pats was the ONLY one who DID it. Go figure.!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bianchi2508jan25,0,3990753.column

The old man is at it again. When will he ever learn? Guess when you're about to be pushed out of the record books, it's hard to accept.

He's getting nervous, it's getting closer to fruition. He was a little more diplomatic when there was a few game cushion with the potential for a Pats loss.

Mercury Moron has been flapping his lips more of late, too. The Pats are in his neighborhood. In fact, they've put a deposit on Morris' house and are just awaiting the building permits to level the dump and build a big @$$ crib.

Pretty funny that these "Patriot fans" get their panties in a bunch when someone wants to criticize Saint Shula. I have to wonder why they get so worked up defending this senile old fart. My guess is they comprise that group of NE residents who bagged out on the Patriots in the 70s, and jumped on the Dolphin bandwagon, reveling in the beatdowns and blowouts delivered against the Pats by Dandy Don. Later, when Dolphin wins dried up like Shula's wrinkled face, and the Patriots became good again, they conveniently switched allegiances back. No self-respecting die hard Patriot fan would ever utter a word defending Shula's rotten carcass after the smack he has been spewing all year. Bob Griese sounded off this week about he's going to "celebrate" if the Patriots lose. Kuechenberg, Morris et.al have been trashing this team all season. Don Shula is already qestioning the validity of this team even if it wins. Any "Patriot fan" who doesn't have a problem with this is a clueless idiot. Seriously, why don't you mosey over to Finheaven and root for the Dolphins. It'll be like old times.

BTW, I heard a Griese interview where he talked about getting to know Tom Brady when he was "the backup to my son Brian" at Michigan. It was factual, but another slap by a lead member of that pathetic crew. I wish the worst on all of them- in the SPORTING sense, of course.

I know a handful of "those" Pats fans (former 'fins fans from their hey day) and I give them $h!t incessantly for it. Even though I can't stand the team, I'd actually have some respect for them had they stuck with them.

I think that when he does call Bill to congratulate him, Bill should tell him he can plow his driveway for all he cares.

I've hated everything about the Dolphins for a long time, and to know that it'll be the Pats that dethrone them will be the cherry on the sundae for me.

I pray my misguided mind can express to you the clarity of my opinion. Arrogance is not a virtue. Hope that makes an impression.

Neither is attacking someone out of ignorance or for invalid reasons. Hope that makes an impression, as well.

Last edited:

"Ignorant"??? How can he be "ignorant"? This is a man who coached in the NFL in 4 decades. A man who was on the NFL Rules Committee for over 20 years!

How in the world can you pass that off as "ignorance"? Few people on earth have better knowledge of the NFL than Shula. He is the LAST person whom I would call "ignorant" on this subject. "Disingenuous", yes, but not "ignorant".

Sorry, Joe, that doesn't fly. You're giving him a pass. He is willfully and purposely throwing mud by still commenting on the asterisk, the fine, the 1st round penalty. "Ignorance" is not his excuse here.

The fact that Shula didn't even know the facts before speaking is the most embarrassing thing about this for him.

No one can coherently contend that the Patriots did anything this season that affected the outcome of the Jets game or the season in general. Those that contend there was any impact on that game clearly don't know the facts - i.e. they are ignorant.

At the time the 78 year old Shula made those comments I really think he had no idea what he was talking about - and then when someone explained to him what had actually transpired, he backed away from those comments - but to this day wants to stop short of admitting that he was a doddering old fool who knew nothing about what he was saying.

If you want to assert that Shula is on top of the details of the NFL Rules committee 13 years after retiring at the age of 78 as he was while he was coaching, so be it - but I think his comments revealed his ignorance about the subject and should be a lesson to him to keep his mouth shut about things he knows nothing about.

Mike Bianchi is a douche and he's just trying to feed Shula's self-serving agenda because it happens to coincide with his own, Patriot Hating.

I can't believe that this guy can't see how lame it is for Shula to air out his Hateraid induced past glory clinging tripe, and THEN on top of it say god bless the dumbasses such as Shula and Mercury Morris for spouting this verbal garbage?

Wow, I've read some pretty shabby pieces of journalism, but this kind of crap, I wouldn't even want to see stuck to the bottom of my shoe in a bathroom stall.

i love how bitter and po'ed all these ex dolphins come across in their interviews. i second the notion that it's a double delight that the pats are the ones to knock the dolphins off their high horses. i hated those douches in the seventies and i hate them now.

ps. a little off topic but is bianchi a goofy looking f**k or what.

Last edited:
I have no problem with anything Shula said, but god damn I hope the Pats win so these bitter old men will shut up forever

Neither is attacking someone out of ignorance or for invalid reasons. Hope that makes an impression, as well.

Where have I attacked you? In two understated posts, I questioned your consistency in one and asked you to be more civil in the other.

You seem to be well versed in making bombastic insults and then admonish us to rise up to your level.

Shula is losing his binky .. who cares he will be in diapers soon with Al Davis.

Where have I attacked you? In two understated posts, I questioned your consistency in one and asked you to be more civil in the other.

You seem to be well versed in making bombastic insults and then admonish us to rise up to your level.

Don't worry, that's just the way he is. You learn to tune him out over time.
Just like I've learned to tune out Mercury Morris! :p

After the PATS win their 4th Title, Don Shula and his '72 Team will be Irelevant to NFL. Period. That is why he is SCARED.....he wants his legacy to be that after he's dead....but Belichick and Brady have other ideas.

End of story. :rocker: :rocker:

Last edited:

This is classic!

I could see this on an old Beavis & Butthead episode or something. It makes me laugh just thinking about it..!:D

heh, heh heh, heh, You, you said Your anus. heh :rofl: :rofl: heh, heh.

The thing that gets me about this article is that they're both missing the point:

"We're always portrayed as angry old men because we're proud of what we accomplished," Shula says. "Believe me, I'll be the first to congratulate the Patriots if they run the table and finish with a perfect record because I know how hard it is to do. But that doesn't mean I want it to happen."

If anybody out there claims they would pull for their own record to be broken or could care less about being replaced in the history books, I say you're a big, fat liar. It's human nature to root for yourself.

Shula comes off as an angry old man, while Bianci simply doesn't get it: their 'record' wouldn't be broken. Going undefeated is not a breakable record, there will simply be another team on the list of teams that didn't lose a game in an NFL season.

I also wanted to mention that if they were fans of the game of football--as you would expect an ex-coach and a beat writer to be--they would celebrate an accomplishment at the highest level of the game that many said couldn't/wouldn't happen again. Instead they come off as angry *******s, and quite frankly shutting the '72 Dolphins has become one of my favorite subplots to this perfect season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back