PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should we Draft a OL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinatony

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Seems like all the talk this week is Can our OL hols out the chardger and give Brady time?
So.. my question is ...Do we need to draft another OL this year to upgrade it? I am not talking 1st round but later.

Best player available - if they have potential to start at LT then they just may be the BPA.

I'm all for it. I've had enough of having to gameplan around Light every time he faces a good pass rusher.

However I'm also interested in dipping our fingers into a day one WR with a deep, deep, class, maybe a TE if Graham leaves plus several LB, S, CB.

How many picks do we have ? ;) This is why I'd love franchise and trade Samuel then sign an adequate FA replacement to give us another pick to work with. The replacement wouldn't have had the kind of year Samuel has had but would be low starter quality.

Best player available - if they have potential to start at LT then they just may be the BPA.

If we're talking about the left OT position than this would be a MAJOR decision by BB & Dante regarding player evaluations.

Selecting an LOT early would mean an obvious move for Light to the right side or a benching. This would also signify that Dante's developmental prospects aren't ready -- or capable of handling the left side.

Word is, the OT position is considered strong this draft. However, it seems like the Pats would want an experienced LOT...rather than risk projecting a RT to make the transition. On that note, Here's 4 LOT's rated in the R1 - R2 range:

Levi Brown, Penn St -- the consensus #2 ranked OT overall. Doubt he slides past 15. Listing him because he's a 4-yr starter at LT.

Joe Staley, Central Michigan -- a 2-yr starter at LT. Experienced in the spread offense. Very athletic (former TE). Like him a lot.

Arron Sears, Tenn -- very versatile (played every OL position except C).

Sam Baker, So Cal -- 3-yr starter at LT. A junior.

If we're talking about the left OT position than this would be a MAJOR decision by BB & Dante regarding player evaluations.

Selecting an LOT early would mean an obvious move for Light to the right side or a benching. This would also signify that Dante's developmental prospects aren't ready -- or capable of handling the left side.

Word is, the OT position is considered strong this draft. However, it seems like the Pats would want an experienced LOT...rather than risk projecting a RT to make the transition. On that note, Here's 4 LOT's rated in the R1 - R2 range:

Levi Brown, Penn St -- the consensus #2 ranked OT overall. Doubt he slides past 15. Listing him because he's a 4-yr starter at LT.

Joe Staley, Central Michigan -- a 2-yr starter at LT. Experienced in the spread offense. Very athletic (former TE). Like him a lot.

Problem with drafting a OT, LT...what do you do if he isn't better than Light? There's no guarantee he will be.

Levi Brown, I read one scouting report, says he has terrible mobility. Gets by b/c he's a 4 year starter so people assume he's great, but couldn't play LT in the NFL at all.

Staley and the OT from Notre Dame are thought to be more "athletic" they have less problems with speed rushers. Don't know about power blocking though.

Who do you cut from the current crop, Britt? He was SEC OL of the year, he was thought to be really good at one point, no guarantee that any draftee could outplay him.

Nice breakdown, I agree it is unlikely they look to the draft for a LT. Any player that approaches starting LT ability will not be around at pick 22. As I think about it more I think they will look at their current roster, maybe try Mankins or Kaczur at LT. Worst case is they have an experienced LT who was good enough to start in 3 Superbowls. I do think they are concerned about Light, I heard a scout say that the Jets blitzed 95% of the time on the left side. Maginni was following a basic tactic (learned from BB) that if the LT is not strong he is a liability and should be exploited. The Pats were ready for it but the Jets really have no dominant pass rusher, they rely on scheme.

I am not sure if any vets of significance that are FAs, Davis is big but not dominant. The Pats seem to prefer more athetic lineman.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagentsOL.html

Of the players listed below, maybe Staley has potential but with other holes on the roster I see it as a huge gamble to take a LT in round 1 based purely on potential.

Levi Brown- seems like more of a RT
Sears - more like a guard
Baker - has LT potential, maybe probowl potential but at least as of now he has said he will not enter the draft

Last edited:
Of course we should. We always do. The question is when. We got Koppen and O'Callaghan on Day 2. Kaycur was the very last Day 1 pick. Neal and Brit were undrafted.

I see no need for a Day One pick, unless perhaps as with Kaycur it is with the 3rd round compensatory pick.

I am fine with Kaycur starting at LT. He did fine doing that in his rookie year. He should be given a chance to develop. We know what we have in Light. I am also fine with Britt and/or O'Callaghan as starters.

My bottom line is that we ar fine with or without Light in the equation as a starter.

Not necessarily, Mankins and Kaczur were both LOTs coming out of college. Draftniks may have graded them as OGs at the pro level, but both have proved they can play LT if needed. Light needs competition, the entire OL does, signing bonuses notwithstanding. If BB thought one of your draftnik prospects could fit Dante's system and play at a high enough level to be worth a first round selection then he's on the short list. Light's status is only relevant so far as the draftee's ability to push him for a starting job - doesn't mean the kid wins out, just means he's an upgrade on the depth chart and was the BPA.

Not necessarily, Mankins and Kaczur were both LOTs coming out of college. Draftniks may have graded them as OGs at the pro level, but both have proved they can play LT if needed. Light needs competition, the entire OL does, signing bonuses notwithstanding. If BB thought one of your draftnik prospects could fit Dante's system and play at a high enough level to be worth a first round selection then he's on the short list. Light's status is only relevant so far as the draftee's ability to push him for a starting job - doesn't mean the kid wins out, just means he's an upgrade on the depth chart and was the BPA.

Not necessarily how? Not sure we disagree...

BB and Pioli will try and add quality depth to all positions if given the opportunity...and the draft is one option. It's common knowledge that the Pats draft for value (not need) based on their draft board. If, in this draft, we select an LOT early (R1), not only is that player the BPA, he'd be competing with Light (and others) for that LT position. At no time will a rookie be handed the job (regardless of draft slot). If the rookie wins, obviously Light moves over or drops down as depth -- which is all I'm saying here.

Factored into the selection process is the quality of depth we have at each position. If we have 3 prospects at different positions all ranked the same, which one is the BPA? That decision is based on the ceiling of that prospect vs our current personnel. Does that player have a chance at starting now or in the future? Or will he always be a role player?

Quality roster depth yes. But which positions need the biggest upgrade -- and why? Questions for those in the know -- which rules me out. :(

I'm rambling...have a nice day. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore