PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Should We Carry A 3rd QB?

Winning New England Patriots GIF by SportsManias

Football Sport GIF by New England Patriots

Snow Winter GIF
The only reason they drafted Mac Jones was because they knew sensible people would hate him as the first QB trying to stand in Tom Brady’s spot.

Zappe is way more fun to watch than Mac Jones pouting and making horror-movie faces when he gets sacked. Zappe Traaaaaaaaaaain. Malik #2. Jones to the Broncos for a 4th.

Not keeping Zappe in there last year has had as many negative consequences as keeping Brady in there had positive ones in 2001.

For the team, and for the player.

A more interesting scenario would be to list Cunningham as QB2 and make Zappe the emergency QB. Leaving Cunningham available for WR and ST duties.

That does mean that Cunningham would have to take over if Mac went down. The emergency QB only comes into action if both QBs are actually injured - can't use him if they just suck.

I think yes, we keep 3, mainly because I have a sneaking suspicion that some team will steal Cunningham if he looks even serviceable as a QB in the next two preseason games. I think if he was only playing WR he'd have gone to the PS with no problem. But if the Pats won't make him 3rd QB, some other team will.

San Fran showed why it is important to have three QB's when a team does not have a QB1 with a proven track record for durability. I would not be surprised if the team picks up a veteran that shakes loose when during cut downs to be QB3 and moves Cunningham to the PS.

San Fran showed why it is important to have three QB's when a team does not have a QB1 with a proven track record for durability. I would not be surprised if the team picks up a veteran that shakes loose when during cut downs to be QB3 and moves Cunningham to the PS.
The only way Cunningham is waived and makes it to the PS is if he is a disappointment.

The only way Cunningham is waived and makes it to the PS is if he is a disappointment.
Why will he clear waivers when he can be featured in wildcat packages or as a cheaper version of Lamar. He will not cross bears when it comes to waivers. They can use Cunningham to light more competitive fire under fields .

I'm on record that I'd rather get a standard vet QB as a #2, and keep Malik as the E#3 QB just to develop for a year and see.
I don't think Zappe is really a legit future, so what's the point in carrying him when we already need to find out if Mac is the true future?
Get one of the Gabbert's / Dalton's of the league at cut downs just to be a steady voice and a serviceable backup if needed.
If Mac fails, or gets hurt for significant time this year, they're starting over next year again anyway (unless Malik becomes a Brady)
My thought as well .

A 3rd QB can now be active if both the other QB's are injured. This an extra active player. The NFL also has a provision for an extra OL being on the Active Game Roster.
He needs to get bigger. He can be stashed. Be overpaid to hide on the PS or revolving IR designated to return whatever. He's a good to have dude, but not at a contributing players expense.

He needs to get bigger. He can be stashed. Be overpaid to hide on the PS or revolving IR designated to return whatever. He's a good to have dude, but not at a contributing players expense.
As many have suggested, Malik as QB3 can dress on game day as QB2 with Zappe holding the clipboard as the emergency QB.

They can develop dual threat packages for Malik and run them situationally.

Remember how the Dolphins successfully blindsided the Pats with the Wildcat?

Dressing Malik will force the opponent's defense to have to take time to prepare for him.

Malik can also pitch in as a WR as well as on special teams.

Zappe can do nothing at all if Mac is healthy so he's a waste of a game day slot.

If Malik gets hurt then Zappe becomes available to backup Mac.

We don't get to see everything the coaches see in practice, but based off what Malik did at QB he deserves a further look I guess.

He didn't catch a single pass or play a single special teams snap... which would have been nice. Maybe his future is at RB, he looks good running with the ball in his hands. If he could give us snaps elsewhere, justifying his roster spot would make more sense.

He was a 62% career passer at Louisville at 8.8 YPA, not amazing but better than Lamar Jackson's 57% completions and 8.3 YPA. He's a better passer than Lamar, he's just nowhere near the runner even if he is a good runner, he's just not as fast.

He could possibly become a dual threat QB, but he has limits as a passer. I see good backup at best... but could be wrong. I have been before, when guys put in the work and improved. If he could play RB or WR he could be a unique weapon who could run wildcat effectively.

I like the idea of keeping him if for no other reason than utilizing him expands the offense by bringing in things like the Wildcat and read and react plays.

A 3rd QB can now be active if both the other QB's are injured. This an extra active player. The NFL also has a provision for an extra OL being on the Active Game Roster.
From what I'm reading about the offensive line maybe we should carry 4 QBs

As many have suggested, Malik as QB3 can dress on game day as QB2 with Zappe holding the clipboard as the emergency QB.

They can develop dual threat packages for Malik and run them situationally.

Remember how the Dolphins successfully blindsided the Pats with the Wildcat?

Dressing Malik will force the opponent's defense to have to take time to prepare for him.

Malik can also pitch in as a WR as well as on special teams.

Zappe can do nothing at all if Mac is healthy so he's a waste of a game day slot.
That logic applies to every backup QB in the League.

Don't overcomplicate things. Whoever the better QB is should be QB2, period, end of story. You want your best guy available right away if QB1 goes down.

That logic applies to every backup QB in the League.

Don't overcomplicate things. Whoever the better QB is should be QB2, period, end of story. You want your best guy available right away if QB1 goes down.
You missed what I said altogether:

Even if Zappe is a better starter than Malik, my point is that the incremental value of him just sitting on the bench is lower than the value of Malik actually contributing while Mac is playing.

Feel free to disagree, but that's quite different than saying "You want your best guy available right away if QB1 goes down."

No I didn't. You are trying to concoct a ridiculous scenario whereby the QB3 is on the active roster and the QB2 is the emergency backup because after all, if QB1 doesn't get injured then the backup doesn't play at all.

It's a bad idea, pure and simple. Don't overcomplicate things. The team's 2nd best QB is QB2. If that's Malik, so be it. If that's Zappe, so be it.

Even if Zappe is a better starter than Malik, my point is that the incremental value of him just sitting on the bench is lower than the value of Malik actually contributing while Mac is playing.

Feel free to disagree, but that's quite different than saying "You want your best guy available right away if QB1 goes down."
I think it plausible that Mac is the starter and they have a list of plays that Cunningham would jump in if the situation calls. Zappe is the emrg QB.
however, if Mac were to miss time, Zappe becomes the starter, with Cunningham still having a list of plays he will be on the ready

No I didn't. You are trying to concoct a ridiculous scenario whereby the QB3 is on the active roster and the QB2 is the emergency backup because after all, if QB1 doesn't get injured then the backup doesn't play at all.

It's a bad idea, pure and simple. Don't overcomplicate things. The team's 2nd best QB is QB2. If that's Malik, so be it. If that's Zappe, so be it.

Don't be a jack*ss and dismiss everything new that you hear as ridiculous.

It's a new tradeoff allowed by the new emergency QB rules, i.e. which the question is, what contributes more expectation of winning, a generic backup riding the pine in case the starter gets hurt, or a dual threat QB (and WR) that can add value even when the starter is playing?

It's certainly dependent on Malik being a good enough passer to finish up a game where Mac is hurt. Only that one injury game is put at risk, while all games benefit by having Malik active with Mac.

And I'm not the only one suggesting this option, for instance Barth explored this option a few days ago.

I think it plausible that Mac is the starter and they have a list of plays that Cunningham would jump in if the situation calls. Zappe is the emrg QB.
however, if Mac were to miss time, Zappe becomes the starter, with Cunningham still having a list of plays he will be on the ready
Agreed.

In the unfortunate scenario where Mac is missing games and Zappe is the starter, the scenario makes even more sense, as the dropoff from Malik to the new QB2 will presumably be less, i.e. Malik would dress with Zappe while (say) McSorley was the emergency QB.

Why will he clear waivers when he can be featured in wildcat packages or as a cheaper version of Lamar. He will not cross bears when it comes to waivers. They can use Cunningham to light more competitive fire under fields .

Opinions on QBs sure change quickly. Remember when Zappe was thought by many to be the best QB on the team? At the moment we don't know if Cunningham will be worthy of a roster spot based on one series in the first preseason game. Both Zappe and Cunningham will have more chances to define their roles. Whether it is QB2, QB3 or PS, I hope they make it a hard decision.

Don't be a jack*ss and dismiss everything new that you hear as ridiculous.
Don't be a jackass and throw personal insults at people who disagree with you.

I didn't dismiss your idea as ridiculous because it is new. I dismissed it as ridiculous because it is ridiculous.
It's a new tradeoff allowed by the new emergency QB rules, i.e. which the question is, what contributes more expectation of winning, a generic backup riding the pine in case the starter gets hurt, or a dual threat QB (and WR) that can add value even when the starter is playing?
If he is good enough to play as a WR, then give him a roster spot straight up. This could happen.

If he is good enough to contribute when the QB1 is healthy, then give him a roster spot straight up. This could happen.

If he is better than Zappe, then give him a roster spot and make Zappe the emergency QB. This could happen.

But it is ridiculous to make the 2nd best QB on your team the emergency QB and hope nothing happens to the starter.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back